Search

Sep 2013 Bus Cambodia to Vietnam: rains and flooding

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Sep 2013 Bus Cambodia to Vietnam: rains and flooding

I'm travelling by bus between Phnom Penh and Saigon in early September. I've done the trip before, but never before to link up with a same day departure from SGN, and never at this time of year.

I'm OK leaving generous buffers for delay, and I'm resigned to a perfect journey and hours to kill at SGN before Lufthansa brings me home.

And then I remembered the flatness of the countryside, the water and then the rains and floods of last year. I think the SERIOUS wet only starts in September, but things are changing.

For those with greater experience of the topography, the weather and the hydrology of the region - should I worry? Better yet, should I fly?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I think you might be in the wrong forum - this one is specific to Singapore
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Moved to Asia forum for better exposure and informed input.

JDiver
senior moderator
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I haven't taken the road between Phnom Penh and SGN so I won't comment on that.

Phnom Penh just got back into a wet cycle after some time of less humidity but this year also had a very early rainy spell. If the pattern of the last 5 days continues throughout August then you might want to reassess. K6 flights can be had at reasonable costs though only you can decide if their schedule works for you.

I'd wait and see what the next few weeks bring in terms of rain before you change plans.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks dsquared - so another year of floods looks on the cards. I'm sure the appropriate authorities have contingency plans well in place ......
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Thanks dsquared - so another year of floods looks on the cards. I'm sure the appropriate authorities have contingency plans well in place ......
No idea if there will be floods this year. Also, to correct something in your OP, the floods were 2 years ago. Last year was average to slightly under average rains.

Another thing to keep in mind is the Mekong is fed from so many disparate areas that it's not the local rains that necessarily control flooding. Even if Phnom Penh/Cambodia didn't get any rain in the last week (and they got quite a bit) the remnants of the typhoon that just drenched Laos and northeastern Thailand would have raised the river.

Definitely take a wait and see attitude considering your trip is still ~4 weeks away.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:50 pm

Question Road from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap to Bangkok floods?

Hi I am flying into Phnom Penh on Tuesday and will be there a few days before taking the bus to SR. After a few days of seeing the temples was planning on bus back to Bangkok as this is towards the end of our Hol and funds depleting.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could comment if this journey is safe currently (or over the next week or so) otherwise would it be advised to looking into flights again?

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:30 pm
JMR

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
Originally Posted by kev1111
Hi I am flying into Phnom Penh on Tuesday and will be there a few days before taking the bus to SR. After a few days of seeing the temples was planning on bus back to Bangkok as this is towards the end of our Hol and funds depleting.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could comment if this journey is safe currently (or over the next week or so) otherwise would it be advised to looking into flights again?

Thank you in advance.
Give close inspection to the prices on Angkor Air and Air Asia. Depending on your luggage, the prices differences aren't that dramatic.

Your bus ticket is $30 (IIRC from the sign at Paragon) and AirAsia is $50 after taxes and fees, but before luggage.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by JMR
Give close inspection to the prices on Angkor Air and Air Asia. Depending on your luggage, the prices differences aren't that dramatic.

Your bus ticket is $30 (IIRC from the sign at Paragon) and AirAsia is $50 after taxes and fees, but before luggage.
Many thanks for your reply. That would have been ideal! I just checked but AirAsia is showing unavailable for all of august for some reason going SR to BK, they can't all be sold surely.. Just checked Angkor air but its saying around $350 for 2 people, flying on 19th aug, without baggage that's what I was getting when I initially looked and the only reason I thought we may just get the bus.

Any other thoughts or suggestions appreciated too

Thank you once again.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
No idea if there will be floods this year. Also, to correct something in your OP, the floods were 2 years ago. Last year was average to slightly under average rains.
You are quite right (as always ) - it's just that the 2011 floods such havoc in my life that they've rather stuck to the forefront of my memory. Selfish, I know: a good few people suffered far, far worse consequences than I did.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMR

I don't think FD is plying this route until October.

You are quite right (as always ) - it's just that the 2011 floods such havoc in my life that they've rather stuck to the forefront of my memory. Selfish, I know: a good few people suffered far, far worse consequences than I did.
As always the intensity of suffering is inversely related to the amount of money/connections you've connived.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:06 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
I'm travelling by bus between Phnom Penh and Saigon in early September. I've done the trip before, but never before to link up with a same day departure from SGN, and never at this time of year.

I'm OK leaving generous buffers for delay, and I'm resigned to a perfect journey and hours to kill at SGN before Lufthansa brings me home.

And then I remembered the flatness of the countryside, the water and then the rains and floods of last year. I think the SERIOUS wet only starts in September, but things are changing.

For those with greater experience of the topography, the weather and the hydrology of the region - should I worry? Better yet, should I fly?
Did the above mentioned route, but in reverse some years back. Worked out pretty ok and cheap as well. Border crossing took some time and more cause of passport control. That apart was all ok. Can't really comment on the weather scenario though...Probably others here might have more info for that time of the year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.