Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing or Bali (5 days)?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Beijing or Bali (5 days)?

I couldn't resist and booked LAX-PEK during the current AA sale. I can only manage 5 days on ground, in September.

Question is, do I spend 5 days in Beijing, or keep going to Bali? For China, I'll need to get visa. For Bali, I get visa on arrival; award space and very clean connections are also available.

Have always wanted to visit both, been to neither. Not enough time to do both this time.

So, my dilemma is, 5 days in Beijing or 4 days in Bali?

Any advice from the more experienced folks greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 3:08 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by aktchi
I couldn't resist and booked LAX-PEK during the current AA sale. I can only manage 5 days on ground, in September.

Question is, do I spend 5 days in Beijing, or keep going to Bali? For China, I'll need to get visa. For Bali, I get visa on arrival; award space and very clean connections are also available.

Have always wanted to visit both, been to neither. Not enough time to do both this time.

So, my dilemma is, 5 days in Beijing or 4 days in Bali?

Any advice from the more experienced folks greatly appreciated.
You can stay in Beijing for up to 72 hours without a visa, so in theory you can spend a day and a half in Beijing for a quick visit, and go onwards to Bali
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:08 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
I have visited both places several times, albeit PEK once as a tourist, and about 6-7 times for work. Im afraid I was very stereotypical and visited the Great Wall, Tianamen Sq (huge disappointment), Forbidden Palace etc. So whilst I have been there, I wouldnt rush back. The pollution stories are all true.

Bali is different. Different culture, different people, a bit like turning the clock back. As a family we loved it and will go back yet again. Beaches, temples, shopping, volcanos etc etc. Just avoid Nusa Dua!

I would sum it up though as PEK for a city break - DPS for a short holiday. YMMV.

p.s. before I get attacked about PEK, I realise there is much much more there to do than I have listed, thats just my experience. I have also visited Shanghai, Xi'an, Guangzhou which are all different again.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Beano HK
I have visited both places several times, albeit PEK once as a tourist, and about 6-7 times for work. Im afraid I was very stereotypical and visited the Great Wall, Tianamen Sq (huge disappointment), Forbidden Palace etc. So whilst I have been there, I wouldnt rush back. The pollution stories are all true.

Bali is different. Different culture, different people, a bit like turning the clock back. As a family we loved it and will go back yet again. Beaches, temples, shopping, volcanos etc etc. Just avoid Nusa Dua!

I would sum it up though as PEK for a city break - DPS for a short holiday. YMMV.

p.s. before I get attacked about PEK, I realise there is much much more there to do than I have listed, thats just my experience. I have also visited Shanghai, Xi'an, Guangzhou which are all different again.
You're not going to get attacked and you're not alone in your sentiments on Beijing, though I think in the minority. Anecdotally, I'd say the impression of short term independent visitors is running about 75% to the positive with the negatives mostly people who encountered bad pollution, got scammed by the tea ceremony touts, and/or met up with some of Beijing's grumpier residents.

That said, in this situation I'd recommend Bali at 100% of useable time. Just on the Chinese visa issue alone, for a US citizen the hefty outlay makes no sense for such a short time in one city, unless you KNOW you will be coming back within the visa validity period for a longer trip around China. Bali has a great deal to see and do and even 5 days can't do it proper justice. It's downside is that for a North American resident it just takes that much longer to travel to.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 3:41 pm

I would definitely have to say Bali for a 5 day trip. If you could swing it, maybe a 24 or 48 hour stopover before 4 days in Bali would be pretty cool as well. The Visa process is fairly expensive otherwise, and I find the pollution can really ruin the whole China experience whereas for short stays it's not as much of a concern.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
For such a short period of time, definitely Beijing. Particularly if it's later in September, the worst of the summer heat will have dissipated, and autumn is the best time to be in Beijing. Even if you decide not to get a visa, 72 hours is enough for a trip to the Great Wall, a visit to the Summer Palace, and a traipse round the Forbidden City, as well as a couple of nights to check out the buzzing restaurant and nightlife scene. It's a fascinating city (much more so than the somewhat vacuous international wannabe Shanghai) with tons of culture and a unmistakeable atmosphere of history.

Bali likewise is a fascinating place, but do you really want to be trekking out an additional 12+ hours either way if you only have five days to start off with?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by dh01
You can stay in Beijing for up to 72 hours without a visa
Only if you have a connection flight to a third country. If you come from US and want to fly back there, you will not get this 72 hours visa. Also not allowed to leave the city. So stay 3 day in Beijing, than continue to Hongkong and go back to US from there could be possible.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by 31570324
Only if you have a connection flight to a third country. If you come from US and want to fly back there, you will not get this 72 hours visa. Also not allowed to leave the city. So stay 3 day in Beijing, than continue to Hongkong and go back to US from there could be possible.
This is a reasonable way to do Beijing without a visa. Alternative to a triangular trip concept if you want more time in BJ is to fly USA-PEK-HKG and return or USA-PEK-ICN and return. In each direction (going and coming) you can have up to 72 hours in Beijing without a visa. The HKG or ICN destination you can stay a minimal time if you want, then come right back to Beijing for your second bite. Likely your useable non-travel time would still end up more than what you'd end up with at Bali. Bali is quite a hike, pretty much on top of Australia geographically.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Too much travel
For such a short period of time, definitely Beijing. Particularly if it's later in September, the worst of the summer heat will have dissipated, and autumn is the best time to be in Beijing. Even if you decide not to get a visa, 72 hours is enough for a trip to the Great Wall, a visit to the Summer Palace, and a traipse round the Forbidden City, as well as a couple of nights to check out the buzzing restaurant and nightlife scene. It's a fascinating city (much more so than the somewhat vacuous international wannabe Shanghai) with tons of culture and a unmistakeable atmosphere of history.

Bali likewise is a fascinating place, but do you really want to be trekking out an additional 12+ hours either way if you only have five days to start off with?
I appreciate your advice. I am leaning towards getting the China visa and spending the 5 days in Beijing. Any place else involves extra expense in cash or miles, plus reduced ground time.

Now, I need to figure out where ti stay in Beijing. My flight reaches there at 10PM, so probably just some hotel by the airport for the first night? After that, which area will best combine local interest, access to transportation for main attractions, and (if possible) good prices?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Bali is pretty nice in September. I'll be there for 9 days, myself.

I'm not sure how the pollution is in Beijing of late, but I've heard it was horrid in the Spring. I paid about $180 for my last Chinese visa, which is always no fun.

$25 VOA in Indonesia. I think $15 exit tax.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Been to both.

I'd say Beijing as you'll be there in September. The historic and cultural sights are worth seeing. Weather should be pleasant in September.

Bali is a year round destination. Whenever you're in the region in winter head to Bali to escape from the cold.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I paid about $180 for my last Chinese visa, which is always no fun.
For non-US passports the fee is $30 or similar. The Chinese apparently have a special rate for US passports---I imagine just a way to thank you for giving them all the business?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:31 pm

Now, I need to figure out where ti stay in Beijing. My flight reaches there at 10PM, so probably just some hotel by the airport for the first night?
Why? There will be no traffic on the streets. You could take one of the busses if you want to do it in the cheap way or take a taxi to almost every place in the town for around 100rmb. If you stay at the airport you will have to ride into the city next morning with traffic.

For non-US passports the fee is $30 or similar. The Chinese apparently have a special rate for US passports---I imagine just a way to thank you for giving them all the business?
No, also a lot europeans have to use official agencies now to get a tourist visa. e.g. germans have to pay at least 65 Euro now for a 30 day tourist visa if they apply at the visa center in person and get back their passport some days ago in person again. If they want to apply by mail its more than 100 Euro.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 31570324
Why? There will be no traffic on the streets. You could take one of the busses if you want to do it in the cheap way or take a taxi to almost every place in the town for around 100rmb. If you stay at the airport you will have to ride into the city next morning with traffic.
Just apprehensive about first trip to a big city in a new country. Generally I don'l like to explore, find an address, etc in a strange unknown city at night. I'd have flown 20+ hours, will have some luggage, and it would be at least 11pm when I get out. If taxis are that cheap, I may take one.

No, also a lot europeans have to use official agencies now to get a tourist visa. e.g. germans have to pay at least 65 Euro now for a 30 day tourist visa if they apply at the visa center in person and get back their passport some days ago in person again. If they want to apply by mail its more than 100 Euro.
According to the following, single entry visa for non-US passports is $30: http://www.chinaconsulatechicago.org...qz/t174774.htm .
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:29 pm

Generally I don'l like to explore, find an address, etc in a strange unknown city at night. If taxis are that cheap, I may take one.
Doesn't matter where you go, shouldnt be more than US20 in any case, even if you go to the other side of the city.

According to the following, single entry visa is possible for non-US passports for $30: http://www.chinaconsulatechicago.org...qz/t174774.htm .
But you can only apply at that consulate as a foreigner if you have a residence permit for the usa. If not they will force you to apply for that visa in your home country. There are only a few exceptions, e.g. everybody can apply in hongkong for a chinese visa. So if you don't have a good reason for apply in the states as a german, its impossible to get the visa for $30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.