Wiki Posts
Search

Around the Gulf of Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
Without knowing your entire itinerary, it's hard to stay. Is all travel just in SE Asia? If so the fares seem expensive. Also, some of the flights are quite short so economy is very bearable. Often looking at the website of the actual airline will get you a cheaper ticket.
The fare is outbound KE in C, return DL in Y (economy comfort). The fare only covers the TPAC portions between the US and Southeast Asia. The intra-Asia flights I will buy separately.

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I'd give SIN a skip. Worth a look, but a little too sterile for my tastes. Plus that $500 you save on airfare will get eaten up on hotels, drinks, & food (unless you eat at hawker centers & stay at the Y). In Thailand you can get a pretty nice 3 star hotel for $50-60. IIWY, I'd take a look at Chiang Mai instead. Well worth a couple days & easy & cheap to get to from BKK.
I checked several hotel prices in Singapore for my dates and found them very reasonable (i.e. < $200/night all in for a 4* property). Chiang Mai looks interesting, but I will save it for another time.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jun 24, 2013 at 6:59 am
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The fare is outbound KE in C, return DL in Y (economy comfort). The fare only covers the TPAC portions between the US and Southeast Asia. The intra-Asia flights I will buy separately.
Hard to say. Seems a little expensive if it's only C one way and Y the other, but I kind of doubt you'll get anything better. Ex-Asia fares from some countries can be cheaper sometimes. If the budget is tight, saving on airfare with Y both ways might be an option. If you only fly long flights (e.g. TPAC) rarely, the excitement and newness of the experience kind of makes up for being in Y. Also, of course if you have miles, look at using them. On *A and OW, they are usually a good value for premium seats in international.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:28 pm

I think I would be bored out of my mind with 4 days in Bangkok. There are so many more interesting places in the region!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
Hard to say. Seems a little expensive if it's only C one way and Y the other, but I kind of doubt you'll get anything better. Ex-Asia fares from some countries can be cheaper sometimes. If the budget is tight, saving on airfare with Y both ways might be an option. If you only fly long flights (e.g. TPAC) rarely, the excitement and newness of the experience kind of makes up for being in Y. Also, of course if you have miles, look at using them. On *A and OW, they are usually a good value for premium seats in international.
Found an all C fare for $4,800. Tempted.

Originally Posted by Ahuch
I think I would be bored out of my mind with 4 days in Bangkok. There are so many more interesting places in the region!
Never been in Bangkok. Four days should be good.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Ahuch
Bangkok is a huge city with the ability to fill well more than 4 days enjoyably but yes, there are many other great places to go both in Thailand and the region at large.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
You must book flights in advance, and if you know your dates now, book anytime but be knowledgeable about cancellation and change penalties, etc.
What are good airfares for REP-BKK, BKK-HKT, and HKT-SIN, respectively? The lowest fare I have seen for REP-BKK is $190 with Cambodia. Bangkok to Phuket is around $100, while HKT-SIN is about $130 with JetStar.
Any airlines I should consider flying between these destinations?

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jul 12, 2013 at 6:28 pm
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
What are good airfares for REP-BKK, BKK-HKT, and HKT-SIN, respectively? The lowest fare I have seen for REP-BKK is $190 with Cambodia. Bangkok to Phuket is around $100, while HKT-SIN is about $130 with JetStar.
Any airlines I should consider flying between these destinations?
Booked my international flight for $5,200 (J) and the new REP-DMK flight with AirAsia for $80. Made reservations for the hotel in Siem Reap.
I am almost ready to book the resort in Phuket and decided to stay near Patong for reasons of nightlife. I narrowed down the choices to about 5 properties.
I am holding off booking hotels in Bangkok and Singapore as I need to do more research as to where I like to stay, especially in Singapore. Since my return flight leaves at 12:15 AM, I would prefer ultra-late checkout but that seems very hard to obtain in Singapore unless you book a club room at a fancy hotel. To solve this problem, I might just use Priceline and book a bargain for 2 nights.
Will book activities just before departure or on the ground.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Aug 2, 2013 at 6:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.