Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Wi-Fi in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Free Wi-Fi in Taiwan

Taiwan’s government has just made it easier for tourists by extending free Wi-Fi services for travelers island-wide. This follows after the government in 2011 launched free public Wi-Fi in Taipei.

In a press release on Tuesday, the Taiwan Tourism Bureau said the government has set up about 4,400 “iTaiwan” Wi-Fi hotspots at major tourist spots, transportation hubs, cultural establishments and government offices all over the island. On top of that, iTaiwan has established roaming agreements with four local governments for tourists to access other Wi-Fi hotspots including TPE-Free in Taipei City, New Taipei in the city of that name, iTaichung in the city of Taichung, and Tainan-WiFi in the city of Tainan.

All tourists need is a passport, and they can apply for an iTaiwan account at a Taiwan Tourism Bureau service counter or any visitor counter across the island, according to the press release. The entire service will be free of charge.
Source: http://thenextweb.com/asia/2013/05/2...tion-for-free/
Old May 22, 2013, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Just about sums up the muppetts that run Taiwan tourism, free wifi but you need to go to a counter to get it !!! in this day and age surely you register on line
Old May 22, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: Dirt
It's simple enough to sign up online with a mobile phone number. https://itaiwan.gov.tw/en/regist_01.php
Old May 22, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by msb0b
It's simple enough to sign up online with a mobile phone number. https://itaiwan.gov.tw/en/regist_01.php
You skipped the following notation:

This online service is only for native citizens (of Taiwan) to use. For foreigner service please refer to FAQ.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Does seem like a pain if you can't just log on and use it.

I struggled with the free WiFi ("WiFly") at the THSR stations last week. Just couldn't get it to work - signals disappearing, timeouts etc. Oh and a stupid thing - once you've registered your mobile, you must remember your login details for future visits, even if months later. If you don't, the screen where you can recover them switches to Chinese. Ha ha ha.
Old May 22, 2013, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by lin821
You skipped the following notation:
This online service is only for native citizens (of Taiwan) to use. For foreigner service please refer to FAQ.
And in the linked FAQ entry,

Q: Is iTaiwan service available to foreign visitors?

A: [...] You can also use a native mobile phone number or a native prepaid card number to register a account for the use of iTaiwan service or register for a TPE-Free account to log onto iTaiwan service. [...]
I would say visitors are authorized to register for iTaiwan access with just a prepaid mobile number.

IIRC, when I registered for the service last year, nowhere during the registration process did it ask for my ID number.
Old May 23, 2013, 2:11 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
I would guess that most foreign tourists (as opposed to regular business travellers) wouldn't buy a local SIM. If they do, well they might well get one with a 3G bundle anyway.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
With limited "hotspots" it is really tourist option.

I still swear by my N4, Midi and PAYG SIMs for country hopping around SE Asia. Everything works within one minute of wheel down.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller

I still swear by my N4, Midi and PAYG SIMs for country hopping around SE Asia. Everything works within one minute of wheel down.
Is there somewhere a better explanation for this setup?
Old May 23, 2013, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by tentseller

Originally Posted by MTHTravel
Is there somewhere a better explanation for this setup?
Google Nexus 4 smartphone = N4.
3/4G WiFi router = Mifi.
Pay As You Go = PAYG.
Local phone account card = SIM.

I have two SIMs for my frequently visited counties. They are cheap in SE Asia; one is for the mifi with best data pricing and the other for best local and intl communication pricing.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by MTHTravel
what is the network name to look for once registered is it all the same in all the locations
Old May 28, 2013, 7:42 am

Working from memory here, I think the SSID was either iTaiwan or iTaiwan-WiFi. The SSID is same everywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.