What to Pack for Two Very Different Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold

I need help from FT I have to figure out what to pack. Plan to carry my Briggs and Riley Widebody 20"

Next week I have this challenge.

ICN for two days (day temp 34 - 40 night temp 19-23) one formal business meeting
other casual meetings maybe some site seeing

RGN for three days ( day temp 95-100 night temp 74-77) all formal business meetings maybe some site seeing

ICN for two days (day temp 36-42 night temp 22-26) all formal business meetings

I've started a list 2 Suits One Blue One Gray, Four Ties, Three White Shirts, Three pair of Ex-Offico underwear. One pair Black slip ons I'm stuck after that... Not sure how to handle the temp extremes. I don't want to freeze, or burn up and I want to - maintain the sanity of my one bag...HELP!!!!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Howdy there, mapsgl. I think putting this in our Asia forum will give you better and more responses. Off it goes!

Dave
Moderator on Training Wheels
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: various
If you can't do one bag, then carefully plan a second bag which you will leave at the hotel, along with your overcoat, in Korea while you take the single bag on to Burma.

Korea is more formal than Burma by far, so full suits similar to USA or Europe would be in order, long-sleeve shirts and winter weight. Regardless of nature of business.

Burma--a lot of business gets done in lightweight suits (like you'd use for summer in the USA), or in shirts and ties, no jackets. If you're selling or consulting, maybe veer towards the suits. If you're buying, then the other party will be more interested in your money than your clothes.

For either the casual business meetings or the casual sightseeing, take some khakis and short-sleeved or golf-type knit shirt for Burma. I learned some years ago that the most important person in the vicinity to be kowtowed-to is not the suit-uniformed guy, it's the fellow who looks like he's heading for the golf course. I think for Korea, a pullover sweater instead of the suit jacket would suffice for casual setups, and keep you warm (coat if outside).
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:09 am

Offices in Korea are notoriously HOT and stuffy. If you're in a car btw hotel and meeting venues, you don't even need a heavy coat, even in the coldest weather [at least in Seoul]. I've done Korea [cold] and then SE Asia [hot/humid] from Nov to March for decades, and can still get by with just carry-on.

If you're still concerned, pack lightweight suits and add layer of silk undies...seriously ^
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
It seems that I am going to try my medium weight suits and layers underneath for Korea and figure my way when I make it to Burma/Myanmar. From 34 to 104 in business meetings the same day should be fun...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by mapsgl
It seems that I am going to try my medium weight suits and layers underneath for Korea and figure my way when I make it to Burma/Myanmar. From 34 to 104 in business meetings the same day should be fun...
I've never been to Burma but in many SE Asian countries, depending on the type of business and who you visit [eg govt], a simple shirt and tie is considered formal enough....certainly Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia, and with Fortune 500 companies.

If you do wear a suit, you end up taking it off at the beginning of the meeting
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Leave your winter clothing in ICN with your hotel since you are returning. Wear as much as you can on he flights and use hotel laundry services.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
In Yangon rent a car with AC. most taxis do not have ac so if you are all done up in your business best you will get hot and sweaty very quickly. your hotel should be able to recommend a driver and car for hire that will have ac

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.