Wiki Posts
Search

Backpacking Asia advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:17 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
The bus works perfectly fine, was comfortable and was cheap. Bring a sweater, it was cold on the bus.
In 2009, I took two buses, one from Rangoon to Mandalay, and another from Mandalay to Bagan/Nyaung U, and they were fine. The driver stopped for meals/restroom breaks, though regarding the latter bit I can't recall if there were stalls on board...

Coming back from Bagan to Rangoon, I flew with Air Bagan...and even with those ellipses I'd fly in their props again.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I hadn't heard of that one.

Last year I got a visa from the PNH embassy and realized, upon getting home, I petitioned for one day later than my flight. Went back to the embassy, told them that I screwed up, had $45 (for a new visa) in my pocket, and they fixed it there and then no charge.
How long did it take to get your visa in PNH? I'll be there in Feb. and I was considering getting my Vietnam visa there.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by walterj
How long did it take to get your visa in PNH? I'll be there in Feb. and I was considering getting my Vietnam visa there.
One time they said to come back that afternoon, another time the next day.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:26 am

Yup. I think they're closed 2 hrs for lunch though. 11-1, 11:30-1:30 maybe ?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:13 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Delete please
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:31 am

How much did it cost, (including the stamping fee)? And was it a stamp in the passport or the looseleaf visa?

I read that having the looseleaf Vietnam visa can lead to problems when going to Laos from Vietnam - that you can be turned away, because the Vietnam border agent takes the looseleaf visa away, then later when entering Laos, the border agent doesn't let you in without seeing exit stamp on the Vietnam visa.

The stamping fee for single entry 30 day visa just went up from $25 to $45.
I called the Vietnam embassy in Washington, DC, today, and the total cost for single entry 1 month is $110 and 3 month $140 with 2 day processing time.

I hope to pick up the visa in Phnom Penh at a lower cost and avoid the hassle of mailing my passport.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
For those talking about all the Vietnam visas, I got mine from the Consulate in Sihanoukville, Cambodia in about six minutes.

Chris
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer

P.S. regarding Myanmar, would anyone advise the dodgy planes from Yangon to Bagan? I don't fancy the train as a solo traveller (16hrs?), and I have heard the aircraft of Air Bagan and the like are old and relatively unsafe.
I flew Air Bagan a couple years ago and it was fine. Not luxury by any means, but little in Burma is.

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
For the Indonesia section of my journey, I am now planning to fly into Jakarta and travel on train to Yogyakarta, Surabaya, and Banyuwangi, and then ferry it over to Bali, followed by a bus to Denpasar.

How easy is it to travel by train across Java? I know the journey has to be done in stages, but that's fine by me as I am planning to stop everywhere anyway (Yogya, Bromo etc).
It's easy, if you can get a ticket. I had the misfortune of flying into CGK on Easter weekend, and everything was sold out. I had tried to book CGK-JOG outside of Indonesia, but that's almost impossible. Got to CGK and tried to buy a flight but everything was sold out, so I got a hotel and hit up the train station in the morning. Both trains sold out, so I hailed a cab to the bus station not too far away, but no daytime buses to Jogja. So, saw a bus with "Semarang" on the front, looked at my map, saw it was kinda near Jogja, jumped on, got a decent $20 hotel there that night and then took another three hour bus to Jogja in the morning. Ah adventure travel.

Chris
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
For those talking about all the Vietnam visas, I got mine from the Consulate in Sihanoukville, Cambodia in about six minutes.

Chris
My traveling partner (DW) wants to stop in Sihanoukville, so that sounds like a good idea. Curious do you remember what it cost and if it was stamp in the passport?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:55 am

My traveling partner (DW) wants to stop in Sihanoukville, so that sounds like a good idea. Curious do you remember what it cost and if it was stamp in the passport?
It's been a couple years, but I wanna say $40? And it was a full page sticker. I then took a bus to Ha Tien and jumped on a ferry to Phu Quoc. Beautiful beach.

Chris
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much did it cost, (including the stamping fee)? And was it a stamp in the passport or the looseleaf visa?

I read that having the looseleaf Vietnam visa can lead to problems when going to Laos from Vietnam - that you can be turned away, because the Vietnam border agent takes the looseleaf visa away, then later when entering Laos, the border agent doesn't let you in without seeing exit stamp on the Vietnam visa.

The stamping fee for single entry 30 day visa just went up from $25 to $45.
I called the Vietnam embassy in Washington, DC, today, and the total cost for single entry 1 month is $110 and 3 month $140 with 2 day processing time.

I hope to pick up the visa in Phnom Penh at a lower cost and avoid the hassle of mailing my passport.
It was a full page visa for $45. I don't know if the recent price increase has affected the Phnom Penh Embassy or not.

If you go there, make sure you ignore everyone outside (including the guard) and walk into the embassy proper. They have a psuedo-scam where tuk tuks/motos drop you at the guard house (40 meters north of the entrance) and the guard asks to see your passport and then tells you the cost for a visa. If you get dropped at the real entrance you have no problems. If you get dropped at the guard house ignore anyone talking to you (or hurl expletives if you feel inclined ) and walk south 40m to the real entrance where there is no guard.

It sounds much worse than it is.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
It's been a couple years, but I wanna say $40? And it was a full page sticker. I then took a bus to Ha Tien and jumped on a ferry to Phu Quoc. Beautiful beach.

Chris
I was originally considering going direct from Phnom Penh to Saigon, but your itinerary sounds better, Sihanoukville To Phu Quoc vi Ha Tien and then eventually to Saigon. I like the slower pace. Thanks for the idea.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was originally considering going direct from Phnom Penh to Saigon, but your itinerary sounds better, Sihanoukville To Phu Quoc vi Ha Tien and then eventually to Saigon. I like the slower pace. Thanks for the idea.
For a really slow pace skip Sihanoukville and enjoy Kampot/Kep instead before heading on to Ha Tien.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:58 pm

Phu Quoc is worth a look. Maybe the only beaches in VN that will be warm in the Winter. The boat I took out there a couple years ago, was just marginally seaworthy and it's a fairly long trip from Vietnam despite the fact you can spit on PQ from Cambodia. No paint or varnish and the engine conked out for 45 mins. I think the ferries have been upgraded and they have a hydrofoil from Ha Tien now. LINK: http://discoverphuquoc.com/bysea.html You can fly back to SGN cheaply as well.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
For a really slow pace skip Sihanoukville and enjoy Kampot/Kep instead before heading on to Ha Tien.
^ to Kep crabs with sauce made from Kampot pepper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.