Indonesia
Citilink
Lion Air
Indonesia AirAsia
Batavia air
Merpati

Japan
AirAsia Japan
Hokkaido International Airlines (Air Do)
JAL Express
Peach
Skymark Airlines
Skynet Asia Airways
StarFlyer
Jetstar Japan

South Korea
Air Busan
Eastar Jet
Jeju Air
Jin Air
T'way Airlines

Malaysia
AirAsia
AirAsia X
Firefly
Maswings

Pakistan
Air Blue
Shaheen Air

Philippines
AirAsia Philippines
Airphil Express
Cebu Pacific
South East Asian Airlines
Spirit of Manila Airlines
Zest Airways

Sri Lanka
Mihin Lanka

Singapore
Jetstar Asia Airways
Tiger Airways
Scoot

Thailand
Nok Air
Orient Thai Airlines - Domestic Route only
Thai AirAsia

Vietnam
Jetstar Pacific
VietJet Air
Air Mekong

Last edited by skchin; Aug 9, 2012 at 8:47 am
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
This is excellent idea. Maybe we should sticky it.

Originally Posted by skchin
Indonesia
Citilink
Lion Air
Indonesia AirAsia
You can add: Batavia air, Merpati, and Tiger Airways (used to be Mandala i believe).

Thailand
Nok Air
Orient Thai Airlines - Domestic Route only
Thai AirAsia
You can add: Thai Smile (TG LCC version i think), and Bangkok Air(not sure if it's considered LCC)
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by tomy77

You can add: Thai Smile (TG LCC version i think), and Bangkok Air(not sure if it's considered LCC)
PG is definitely not an LCC. Thai Smile is kind of a hybrid, not sure where that should fall.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: IHG Platinum

Sri Lanka
Mihin Lanka

I think Mihin Lanka has been intergrated with Sri Lankan airlines now.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:33 am
Suspended

Firefly is no longer a low cost airline, after the jet operations was forced to shut down to avoid competition with AA ...
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam
A source link would be nice to verify that it's no longer LCC. so please add link for me to revise the list.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:37 am
Suspended

I don't think it has ever officially been a LCC. The jet operation was set up with a semi-LCC model, but it barely got off the ground before the big, bad wolf managed to shut it down. As for the ATR operation, their fares are usually higher than MH ( since they operate from the more convenient SZB) and you get a complimentary baggage allowance as well as a free drink ( plus cookie the last time I flew), so I am not sure how some came to believe it is a LCC.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: various
Agree, Firefly should not be on the LCC list. And I think now, it's a moot point with what's been happening in the Malaysian air market.

This list looks suspiciously like it was copied from Wikipedia, is this the case? I won't comment on the lack of source attribution in the original post, but will say that I wouldn't look to Wikipedia as the font of all things true and wise. I would expect a higher standard of accuracy on this topic on FT than on Wiki.

Last edited by jiejie; Aug 10, 2012 at 10:15 pm
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jiejie
Agree, Firefly should not be on the LCC list. And I think now, it's a moot point with what's been happening in the Malaysian air market.

This list looks suspiciously like it was copied from Wikipedia, is this the case? I won't comment on the lack of source attribution in the original post, but will say that I wouldn't look to Wikipedia as the font of all things true and wise. I would expect a higher standard of accuracy on this topic on FT than on Wiki.
That's why members residing in the respective country should help contribute. And the list is open to discussion I'm sure.
And it'll probably help if we define what we consider LCC as well
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by mario33
I don't think it has ever officially been a LCC. .... their fares are usually higher than MH ....and you get a complimentary baggage allowance as well as a free drink ( plus cookie the last time I flew), so I am not sure how some came to believe it is a LCC.
Other than the high fares this is the model for Nok Air.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Add Ok and Juneyao for China.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:31 am

Programs: various
I don't find OK (Okay) Airlines or Juneyao Airlines to be LCC's. They often have heavier discounts than a mainline domestic Chinese carrier, but IMO not really low enough to be LCC territory. And they do have baggage allowance and simple onboard service included.

I guess it goes back to: How are we defining an LCC? Should we do it mathmatically, as in, a carrier that consistently offers fares (with tax) at 30% or more below typical mainline carriers? What percentage differential would we choose? How do extra charges esp for bags fit into the picture for comparison purposes?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
I don't find OK (Okay) Airlines or Juneyao Airlines to be LCC's. They often have heavier discounts than a mainline domestic Chinese carrier, but IMO not really low enough to be LCC territory. And they do have baggage allowance and simple onboard service included.

I guess it goes back to: How are we defining an LCC? Should we do it mathmatically, as in, a carrier that consistently offers fares (with tax) at 30% or more below typical mainline carriers? What percentage differential would we choose? How do extra charges esp for bags fit into the picture for comparison purposes?
I've never flown with OK myself, but I know their bosses pretty well, and the main reason they don't fly to BJ, SH, or GZ, is due to cost. I have tried out Juneyao; those guys typically undercut the train between BJ and SH, though you must leave at 630a, and the return flight arrives after midnight (---> expensive taxis).

In any event, both OK and Juneyao qaulify as "low cost" in book. I've yet to set foot on Spring because I've heard lots of horror stories.

Last edited by moondog; Aug 23, 2012 at 10:10 am
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
What about LCC in North Korea?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:24 am

i wonder if i have an answer, does the low budget airline assure the flight service?
i am wanting one day to fly to Thailand, i believe that list of airlines above have low price, may i know which one among those three low budget airlines the most convenient one?
thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.