Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

US Flights to Vietnam

US Flights to Vietnam

Old May 4, 2012, 11:05 am
dcd
Original Poster

US Flights to Vietnam

We're 2 adults and a 5-year old from DC area and we will be travel to Vietnam in Dec-Jan. Ideally, we would like to arrive in a city (HCMC or Hanoi) and depart from the other city. We would like to find low cost airfare tickets but reasonable flight time and stop(s). If it make a good diff. we are open to fly out and/or back from NYC area. We have a family in NJ to stay overnight if it helps.

We appreciate to have your tips, suggestions, and info. Thanks!
Old May 4, 2012, 11:07 am
dcd
Original Poster

PS Also, we have another family in southern CA if we need an overnight stay there.
Old May 4, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Check Asiana (OZ).
Old May 4, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
It's already late for holiday reservations (prices are up). One of the cheapest days to travel outbound would be 12/10, cheapest flight on China Eastern for $1059. JFK-SGN-JFK. China Eastern is an inferior carrier in my opinion.

For open jaw it's considerably more - both ANA and Asiana at $1626.
Asiana JFK-SGN/HAN-JFK and ANA IAD-SGN/HAN-JFK - both excellent carriers. Note that ANA (as well as Korean) fly to both IAD and JFK. Korean is priced a little higher, but Asiana is rated higher.

I personally booked an open jaw into Bangkok and return from Hanoi in Nov-Dec. I booked back in Jan for $1241. on Asiana (today, the same flights would cost me over $4000.!)

search for your own set of dates on ITA Software

(regarding flight times, you will see that many flights returning to the States have a lengthy transit time. Asiana and Korean will give you a free hotel room for that transit in Seoul if you request it after booking - just call their toll free phones in the USA)

Last edited by Daawgon; May 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm
Old May 4, 2012, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Try the Vietnamese Travel Agets in SoCal or DC area for best deal in fares.
Old May 4, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by tentseller
Try the Vietnamese Travel Agets in SoCal or DC area for best deal in fares.
That is excellent advice. With the enormous Vietnamese community in the DC area there must be local agents. I work with several Vietnamese people. Most of them go back pretty often. I could ask what they do if you need some more help.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: various
Also consider flying to the west coast (likely LAX) for your USA departure city, which will expand your airline options and possibly flight date/capacity options. EVA via Taipei comes to mind, for one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.