Wiki Posts
Search

Almaty, Kazakhstan - Sameday turn

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam
Almaty, Kazakhstan - Sameday turn

Has anyone done a sameday turnaround in Almaty recently? I understand you do not require a transit visa if you are not getting out of the airport for a sameday flight. Has anyone experienced the Kazak customs when they see someone is only flying in for only couple hours?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
If you make it as far as Almaty - ie. if the airline doesnt refuse to board you - you will not make it as far as customs - your best bet is an intl-intl transit.
It is possible if connecting on Air Astana - but I wish you luck in another situation.

If you actually have to deal with Kazakh immigration, they will probably eventually sell you a visa on the spot for about $90. It takes a long time, the consul is a jackass, and you will most likely miss your returning flight. I had a run in with him trying to get a transit visa... good luck.

You chose the country with the most bureaucratic and least flexible immigration rules to do this.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:56 am

You might be OK depending on your travel dates and nationality.

I saw this on Lonely Planet's site:

Kazakhstan has announced they will conduct an experiment with visa-free travel from May to September for nationals of 48 countries. It is not yet known which countries exactly. It will only be valid for tourist visas apparently, but the specifics (how many months? do you still need to register? etc.) have not been discussed. I found the article here (in Russian), I translated and summarized it here (in English).
Regardless, getting a Kazakh visa is easy peasy. Mine took 5 working days.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Had flown to ALA and had to show a LOI or visa at check in and before boarding (ie, twice before even getting on the plane). ALA airport isn't the best and VOA lines are long once in the small immigration area. There are plenty of better countries to fly to, I'd avoid ALA airport and the process of obtaining a Kazakhstan visa unless you are actually visiting the country.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is Astana airport any better? I have a visa, but am trying to figure out what the amenities are like...don't want to get there too early. In Business Class on my return out of Astana on Air Astana.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.