Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei - Visiting and eating

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Taipei - Visiting and eating

I am visiting Taipei the end of March and would like to take a gift for my grandson. He loves birds and I am wondering if a bird feeder would work on the balcony in the city in an apartment on the 16th floor?

I would also suggest that people try some of the dim sum places around the corner from the famous one that is mentioned here often (sorry I can't find the name now but it is near the Mormon temple). The one we found you eat upstairs and the food is prepared street side But inside the building. I have found the food in Taipei to be excellent for adventuresome visitors. I especially like the typically very small places. Most of my experience has been in the Da'an area but I am sure with a little exploring you will find some fun stops anywhere you happen to be staying. It is an advantage to be with a Chinese speaker.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA CK
Are you referring to din tai feng?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I believe that is the popular place everyone talks about. I have a very hard time remembering the Chinese words for the names....sorry.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
http://www.dintaifung.com.tw/en/index.asp
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:46 am

Programs: various
As a high rise dweller, I can tell you that the bird feeder on the balcony is a bad idea, and may not even be allowed by building management. Assuming that birds fly up there to feed, there will be a mess and bird crap all over the place. This isn't necessarily easy to clean and may affect neighbors as well, who won't find it funny.

I suggest you save the feeding-the-birds outings for the park, and bring him a beautiful color coffee-table book on the subject. Or a nice "Field Guide to the Birds of _____" (pick a geographic region). Any aviaries you could visit together?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information on the bird feeder. He is a little guy 1 1/2 years old and loves it when a bird does appear. From your comments I think I will forget the idea of the feeder.

The dim sum place I like is called Jin Ji Yuan Sorry I cannot give better directions but I am usually dropped off by a taxi and don't know the area.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Jin Ji Yuan 金雞圓. One is on Yongkang Street (永康街28-1號).
A sister is one block south of the main entrance to Taiwan University, by the subway stop, a few doors off of Roosevelt Road and XinSheng south Road (羅斯福路三段316巷8弄3之1號).

Maybe not the most delicate xiaolongbao and beef-noodles in town, but good value.

Lots of people keep song birds in their apartments...though 1.5 yrs is a little young unless the parents are enthusiastic...you might take him to Heping West Rd where there are dozens of bird stores, though.

Last edited by taipeipeter; Feb 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:12 am
Original Poster

The location I like the most is the one on Yongkang Street. The people are so friendly and recognize my daughter as a regular and always give her a big welcome. She speaks Chinese but they practice their English on me.

Any other suggestions for a dim sum place similar in value to the above? I prefer the ones not frequented by lots of tourists but favorites of the locals.

Again, sorry to be so vague but there is a PHO restaurant in the DA'AN district that is very good. Any other suggestions for other ethnic restaurants in that area?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by taipeipeter
Jin Ji Yuan 金雞圓. One is on Yongkang Street (永康街28-1號).
A sister is one block south of the main entrance to Taiwan University, by the subway stop, a few doors off of Roosevelt Road and XinSheng south Road (羅斯福路三段316巷8弄3之1號).
Good eating spot, much better than ding tai feng [favorite if expats, visitors from HK, China, rest of Asia].
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Now that DTF HK has received their Michelin star all the DTFs worldwide are using this as part of the marketing and they have gotten busier as a result.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:10 am

I visit the DTF in Hsinchu (B1 level of the FE21 department store) regularly. I like them: pleasant service and good food (especially compared to the average restaurant in the area).
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Now that DTF HK has received their Michelin star all the DTFs worldwide are using this as part of the marketing and they have gotten busier as a result.
My wife and two grown-up sons [who live and work in Taipei] "insisted" we give it a try again this past December -- went to the 101 location [although their favorite spot is Alley 216 btw Ren Ai and Chung Hsiao]. There were at least 4 large tables of 10+ that were HK tour groups.

Food, imho was fair but nothing to rave about -- and certainly not worth the 1 hr wait.....

OT but interesting tidbit -- ownership is very hands on management and recruit/train extremely carefully. And their pay scale is excellent. An example, a dishwasher makes more than the average college grad in his/her first job! That is why their service is top-notch.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Audie
The location I like the most is the one on Yongkang Street. The people are so friendly and recognize my daughter as a regular and always give her a big welcome. She speaks Chinese but they practice their English on me.

Any other suggestions for a dim sum place similar in value to the above? I prefer the ones not frequented by lots of tourists but favorites of the locals.

Again, sorry to be so vague but there is a PHO restaurant in the DA'AN district that is very good. Any other suggestions for other ethnic restaurants in that area?
台北市敦化南路2段103巷6號

No.6, Lane 103, Sec. 2, Dunhua S. Rd., Taipei

There is a pretty good PHO restaurant next door. You won't miss it. I don't remember the name but it is not bad. Their Shrimp Pancake is very good so make sure you order one.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:41 am
Original Poster

That is the Pho restaurant I go to and I will have to try the pancake! Since you are familiar with that area is there any place else you would recommend? I know there are many typical small places there but that is fine. My family speaks and reads Chinese so we are free to try the places the locals like. My first experiences with "real" Chinese food was in Beijing and we really like that style. In Taiwan the recipes are different but very good. The Chinese restaurants in the US are never the same.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by Audie
The Chinese restaurants in the US are never the same.
I'm sure the Vietnamese restaurants are better though! (Than in Taipei.) VN food in Taiwan is pretty dreadful in my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.