Search

HCMC hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:05 pm
CSW
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S QRPC Gold
HCMC hotel

I can't decide to go with the Caravelle or the Majestic in Ho Chi Minh City - 3 night stay in January.

Pros/Cons?
Suggestions?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 1:07 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Caravelle slightly better location, Majestic nice river views from some rooms. The Majestic is "original" but refurbished. The Caravelle has been pretty much rebuilt.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:43 pm

Are they the same price? I would expect the Majestic to be $50 less. Caravelle will be quieter and the Saigon Saigon bar on the 9th floor is a nice place to have a drink (but it's not cheap).
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:03 pm
CSW
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S QRPC Gold
Yes - the Carvelle is about $50 more expensive per night, but the price difference is really too much of a concern.

Looking at the pictures, it appears that the Majestic has more character whilst the Carvelle looks like a typical North American hotel which I stay at routinely.

Am I right?

I like character, but also like comfort
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I've not stayed at the Caravelle but I've visited the hotel a couple times - experience was fine in the outlets I visited.

I have stayed at the Majestic a couple times - both times on the river side. The street running between the hotel and the river can be really noisy but I don't remember that being a problem when the windows were closed.
I enjoyed the quirky historic aspect of the property and liked being on the river. The rooms were nice, comfortable and functional but nothing mind blowing - a bit staid but not bad.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:41 pm

The Majestic does have more character. It's been remodeled a few times over the years (have never stayed there). Caravelle has also been remodeled, and yes I'd say it looks more like a USA style hotel.

That being said, it has better restaurants (and location IMO, directly across from the Opera House. Staying on the river in Saigon isn't anything special). Rooms were nice last time I was there (8 years ago as now I when I'm there I stay at the Sheraton). And as I mentioned, the Saigon Saigon bar is a nice place to relax and have a drink. If money isn't an issue, I'd stay at the Caravelle.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
If you wanted the character, but with the location of the Caravelle you could consider the Continental (just over the road from the Caravelle) - perhaps a bit noisy with building work nearby. A few glossy pics at http://www.continentalhotel.com.vn/

I haven't stayed there since 1996, though! It was pretty bizarre then. $129 a night, but got upgraded to a room with a separate dining room. Two TVs and a video player and "libary" which consisted of one very obviously bootleg tape. Very friendly staff who couldn't do enough for you but at the same time couldn't do anything at all. No toothpaste - asked at reception and they suggested I buy some from a nearby shop!

I'm sure it's better now (pls someone confirm it is) ... it won't be as good on service as the Caravelle.... but I do miss those days.

Last edited by jimbo99; Oct 5, 2011 at 2:08 pm
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I stayed at the Continental a couple years ago and it was a cut or two below the Majestic. The rooms hadn't been upgraded in quite a while and very dated. The bathroom reminded me of a Motel 6.
The plus side was the history and the nostalgic charm. The room was quite big and even had a separate sitting area by the street facing windows. Everything was clean and functional if a bit dingy and worn. The buffet breakfast in the inner courtyard was ok.
I'm fine with having stayed there once but for $80 to $100 I would choose somewhere else.

Originally Posted by jimbo99
If you wanted the character, but with the location of the Caravelle you could consider the Continental (just over the road from the Caravelle) - perhaps a bit noisy with building work nearby. A few glossy pics at http://www.continentalhotel.com.vn/

I haven't stayed there since 1996, though! It was pretty bizarre then. $129 a night, but got upgraded to a room with a separate dining room. Two TVs and a video player and "libary" which consisted of one very obviously bootleg tape. Very friendly staff who couldn't do enough for you but at the same time couldn't do anything at all. No toothpaste - asked at reception and they suggested I buy some from a nearby shop!

I'm sure it's better now (pls someone confirm it is) ... it won't be as good on service as the Caravelle.... but I do miss those days.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Sheraton has a cash&point 4000+$60 offer if you have SPG starpoints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.