Siem Reap

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Siem Reap

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:02 am

Programs: UA Plat
It's been a few years but the only time I remembering climbing was the steps at the main spires at Angkor Wat. Everything else was pretty mellow. Enjoy your trip as the temples are really cool and each has a different atmosphere.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Braindrain
For myself, I also didn't have a photo. No big deal.

I'm not sure you can even bring a photo as your photo is digitally printed with the pass.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'm not even sure what this means. Most people arriving in Cambodia, either in REP or PNH, do not have visas and must apply for them on the spot. If there is another way, online or whathaveyou, I'm not privy to it.

As mentioned above, the sooner you can exit the plane the sooner you'll get through the process and onto immigration.

I've never been told about having exact money nor have heard anyone mention that before.

The one thing Cambodian officials seem to excel at (and do quickly) is taking money.
I am pretty sure Braindrain is talking about e-visa, which you can get on line for $25, which you can use at land crossings such as the one at Poipet or an airport. On the other hand, he might be talking about the Angkor Pass.You can, of course, get visa on arrival too. A photo is recommended, but if you don;t have one, it's not a problem. Visa on arrival is easier process at an airport. If you cross the border on land, you may have to pay more than the usual fee, about 1500 Baht instead of $25.

Note: If you get your Angkor pass late after noon, say around 4 P.M. or later, you can enter the complex that day for free even though your pass is effective beginning the following day. If you arrive in in REP in the morning, you can wash up and rest a little before getting your pass and get a free entry to watch sun set over Angkor Wat.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jul 27, 2010 at 3:08 am
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fiona
Just wondering if anyone here has experienced the visa on arrival. If so, is it a smooth process or does it take an age?
We actually go later this week. As its going to be humid, I'm still trying to work out the best way of visiting temple complexes. Is it better to plan half days? We have 4 days so a fair amount of time to see the sites.
I also suffer from labyrinthitus( vertigo) and am thinking that I might miss out a bit by not climbing. ( I can actually manage the climbing ok, but its when I'm at the top of something and looking down that's the problem) However, its somewhere I have always wanted to visit so hopefully staying near ground level, I can still get a lot out of my trip.
Most of the climbing in Angoran sites involves steps which is doable. But if you go to Kbal Spean, it involves a 45 minute hike.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
Just back! Visa was very quick and having no photo was no problem. I did manage the heights in the temples but was pleased that steps had been added to the highest part of Angkor Watt. There is no way I would have climbed without those Going at this time of year, meant there were no crowds- but it was very humid.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Most of the climbing in Angoran sites involves steps which is doable. But if you go to Kbal Spean, it involves a 45 minute hike.
While there are steps, I found that the temple mountains, e.g. East Maban and Pre Rup, were somewhat scary for those like me with no head for heights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.