Wiki Posts
Search

India or Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
India or Sri Lanka

I am planning to go either to India or Sri Lanka in May. My first choice would be India but as I only have 3 weeks tops, a trip to India may be too ambitious and Sri Lanka, being smaller, seems more doable. Full disclosure, I also think of Sri Lanka as an easier India and I fear India may be too much for me.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has been to both and could bring some light to my dilemma.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:00 pm

Depending on what part of India may is often unbearably hot for outside stuff. May might be early monsoon for Sri Lanka. I'd recommend splitting your time.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsh913
Depending on what part of India may is often unbearably hot for outside stuff. May might be early monsoon for Sri Lanka. I'd recommend splitting your time.
Thanks. Heat is not a problem- Bring it on! I would be concern about rain though. Do you reckon 3 weeks is enough to split the time? Also, how beaches in Kerala compare to those in Sri Lanka.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:23 pm

http://tinyurl.com/yjpqs4s
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsh913
Thanks, very informative website.

Anyone being to both and is willing to do a quick comparison or anyone with strong views on any of the destinations?

Any help is appreciated.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
you would be able to cover a decent amount of india in 3 weeks....

as rsh913 suggested, i would consider splitting your time between the 2 countries....

for sri lanka you would only need about 5 days....

kerela, goa, rajasthan, agra, delhi & a bunch of other places in india can all be done in the remaining 15 odd days....
Old May 3, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold. Emirates Silver BAEC Silver Air Canada 35k
Go to sri lanka

It is called Pearl of the Indian Ocean
Old May 6, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Consider the Indian visa costs if you have a US passport. Also the jetlag time.

A reasonable tour of all SL would be at least two weeks. Add some time in the Maldives if you are snorkeler. A short flight from CMB.

Get a copy of the Lonely Planet book for both - even if you plan to stay in top flight hotels/resorts. srilanka.com is sometimes useful.

Someday I will get to Sigiriya and the beaches of the east coast near Batticaloa.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old May 7, 2010, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10)

India. I have never understood the "I only have X amount of time" concern. Of course you can't see all of India in three weeks or for that matter three years. See what you can and enjoy. You can see a huge amount in three weeks. And there is a lot of great stuff to see.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; May 7, 2010 at 9:27 pm
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:53 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by palermo
I also think of Sri Lanka as an easier India...
I for some reason, have the same belief, (I have no facts/experience to back up my view)

BTW, did you end up making your trip in May?
-
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I for some reason, have the same belief, (I have no facts/experience to back up my view)

BTW, did you end up making your trip in May?
-
Sorry - just checking this thread again now. Yes, I went in May to India and ended up in LK in September. I had a great time. India is absolutely incredible (as in the TV add). I hated for the first 3 to 4 days but now I just loved the place and I am going back for Xmas. It is not easy travelling specially if you are not trying to do it on the budget.

SL is a lot easier to get around. People are great. Beaches are better than GOA but not to Thailand, Malaysia standards. It is more expensive than India and upmarket accommodation is not as good or available as in India. You have supermarkets, spar-like stores and light Red Bull!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.