Wiki Posts
Search

Visa / VOA information for Nepal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Visa / VOA information for Nepal

I have a rtw ticket and KTM is one of my stops, when I planned my route I checked visa requirements for all my destinations and found that Nepal gives visas on arrival to Canadian citizens, I've be told recently this has changed. Can FT members who have visited Nepal recently please let me knwo if they were able to apply for a visa on arrival and if it is a complicated process. Thanks is advance.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:17 pm
Used to be 'lohiadk'

HI,

The VISA on Arrival program is very much active for most countries. except for citizens of a few middle eastern and African countries.

If you need any more info on Nepal feel free to email or PM me
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
As of October VOA was still available. The fees for VOA have changed recently (2008) however to $40/30 day Visa.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:39 am
Suspended

Nepal: visa on arrival

Just wondering if anyone has first-hand experience of getting a visa on arrival at Kathmandu airport?

Two questions:

1. Is the VOA good for just a single or multiple entries? I'm originating in London and there's a high chance the airline I'm flying with won't check my bags through as I'm flying on a separate ticket, with a different airline on the short hop between KTM-VNS.

2. Is the VOA desk at KTM a real scrum and slow? I have about three hours layover between my arriving and onward flights.

I did email my nearest Nepalese consulate but received an answer so vague as to suggest that either the respondent was in a total state of serenity or had been smoking something mind altering.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
Just wondering if anyone has first-hand experience of getting a visa on arrival at Kathmandu airport?
Quite a few of us! And that's what can create the scrum.

Much will depend on the the number and sequence of arriving flights, and your speed getting to the immigration area. Don't be slow and don't be shy pushing forward.

Work out the best queue to join. It works quite well, really quite a well-oiled system operating under a layer of chaos.

You'll have a terrific advantage if you have a completed form, photo and cash ready.

You can get short-stay and longer-stay visas, and I'm pretty sure there's a multiple entry option

Have a look at: http://nepaltraveladvisory.blogspot....n-arrival.html

Last edited by IAN-UK; Dec 11, 2013 at 12:44 am Reason: adding website
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:57 pm

Hello nth_utsera_sth_utsera! I got a visa on arrival in Kathmandu last February. The big things to know about getting it on arrival are:

1.) You need to have USD. You can bring other currencies if you don't have USD with you, but you have to go to another section of the airport to exchange them to USD. The visa fee is 25 USD.

2.) You need at least 2 passport photos for your visa. If you do not have those, there is a small photo booth that you can use upon arrival.

3.) You will be issued a multiple entry visa valid for as long as your visa is valid. So, if you're also American, I believe that was 30 days.

4.) If you want to go trekking while you are there, you will need to get another visa valid for hiking. I'm unsure of that fee, but I believe it is a fixed cost per day of hiking, and may depend on which trails you plan to complete.

The airport is pretty small, so if you need to pick up any luggage it won't be too hard to figure out which belt you're on. I remember the custom lines being a bit long; probably the most time consuming part. Lots of people bringing in big packages!

Nepal is my favorite place in the world. I'll be returning again this February! I hope you enjoy the magic surrounding this beautiful place! Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:34 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Given the scrum, I'd recommend you get a visa in advance if you can.

When we arrived (on a 12 hour stopover in transit to Bhutan) we tried to get a transit visa but (presumably because it's cheaper) the immigration official refused to give it to us and made us buy a multiple entry visa instead.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Went through the VOA process a few days ago and refreshed my memory from previous entries.

First thing you need to do is get to the far side of the hall and pay for your visa. They'll you'll queue again for the actual visa. One lane is for <15 days visa and the other lane is for 15-30 day visa.

The sign above the payment booth indicated they'd take a bevy of currencies. I'd still carry USD.

In all we were through in 15 min. Of course this will be heavily dependent upon the time arriving and where in the plane you might be sitting.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 1:06 pm

You should have no problems getting VOA ktm airport. You have options to either go for single entry or multiple entry. What I normally do is have the visa form pre-filled with photos attached & just submit on arrival. You can extend visa in kathmandu or pokhara. Make sure to bring exact change $$ for visa fees. One tip: stock up on passport size photos while in nepal cos it's so cheap compare to walmart/walgreens in us.

there is 2 lines for tourists, tourist with visa & without visa sign. So it's quite fast moving line depending on what season you visit.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
One word of Caution..

Hi there,

Just went through the VOA. It wasn't that bad..the line was not that long
when I arrived. One must remember to carry two photographs. Also if
you are charging with a CC, note that they are processing the transaction as
a "cash advance" rather than credit transaction. My CC then charged me
$10 as "transaction fee" + 50 cents interest for $26 visa fee ! Preferable
to take cash to avoid this !!! My CC rebated this fee after I disputed but
not worth the hassle...

Enjoy Nepal...It is really a nice place with really nice hospitable people !

F.A.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:51 am

Nepal visa on arrival and China Southern

I am flying China Southern LAX-CAN-KTM, i'm a US citizen and contacted the Nepalese embassy here which told me to just get a visa on arrival in Nepal.

My concern is denied boarding by China Southern due to absence of the Nepalese visa and ignorance of the visa on arrival rules.

What can I do to protect myself from denied boarding if the China Southern staff is ignorant and insists on a visa?

I have read other travelers have had this issue in the past where airline officials are ignorant of the actual visa rules and/or if their computers (which may be inaccurate) do not specifically tell them it's ok they require to see a visa.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: SEN, FB PLT, HH,

if in their systems is mention that you need a visa there is almost nothing you can do.

my advice is to print out Nepal embassy answer to you about VOA and show it at check in.

you can also contact MU and ask them what is mention in their system
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Pretty much all airlines use the information that is in Timatic database so ideally there shouldn't be a problem as long as it states that you can purchase a visa on arrival. Wouldn't hurt to have a print out of this of course.

you'll save some time in KTM if you have a photo ready and also US $ to pay for the visa.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:06 pm

get the information from here:
http://www.skyteam.com/en/Airports-S...sa-and-Health/

print it out and take it with you just in case. i've had something like this happen to me in HKG already.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:45 am

Take a passport picture and $. Will speed things up. You can also download the vida form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.