Wiki Posts
Search

6 month multi-entry Vietnamese visas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
6 month multi-entry Vietnamese visas

Is it just me... or are 6 month visas to VN becoming difficult to get?

A number of agencies seem to have stopped offering them over recent weeks (no problem with my last one which has just expired) and fees for shorter ones are creeping up.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by jimbo99

A number of agencies seem to have stopped offering them over recent weeks (no problem with my last one which has just expired) and fees for shorter ones are creeping up.
Apparently you cannot get a 6 month business Visa now without a work permit. You can get a 3 month, but then if you're living here, you have to make a Visa run.

You can still get a 6 month tourist Visa.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 1:55 am
Original Poster

OK thanks for the quick response. I only make short, but regular trips to Vietnam these days.

I got a friend in VN to double check - she said agencies (such as the one I usually use and Vietnamstay) can't do 6 month tourist visas either at the moment.

It's a real pain. Apart from the extra expense and inconvenience (bad service in the London embassy, no embassy in Taiwan), I can't add pages to my UK passport so now every 3 months or so I lose another page plus stamps elsewhere. (A 48-page UK passport costs £90.50.)

It's funny - for years my VN friends justified not giving visa-free access to Europeans on the basis of reciprocity. At least when they go to the UK a 6 month visa is fairly standard.

[rant over]
Old Dec 8, 2009, 3:42 am

A co-worker of mine received a 6 month tourist Visa in October from the Consulate in San Francisco. Perhaps it's changed now?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

It might have done, or maybe they are slow to implement a new policy.

Ever since I can remember, London was very reluctant to issue 6 month visas (tourist or business) without approval from VN. This has never been a problem as I could always get approval.

Not a massive issue, just a nuisance.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by jimbo99

Got one about a month ago - 6 month / business. Used CIBT. Visa was issued via San Fran Consulate (I am based in NY). I had an invite from a Vietnamese entity though.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Ha ha ha... more digging...

Yep.. alot of "no" coming back from agencies in VN right now. (Not disputing that people are still getting them, especially with the right level of invite.)

The reason is that too many foreigners were working illegally on them when they should be on proper work permits.

So now a new service is available: 3 year resident's permits + work permits are being sold. None of the usual checks required... for the appropriate fee.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
France obviously has close relations with Vietnam and I have found the Vietnam embassy in Paris to be very friendly and easy to use. But I don't have any current info on multi-entry.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:15 am

My friend also just got a 6 months Visa and I got a 3 month Mutli Entry visitor visa...It wasn't difficult. I'm not sure why a business Visa should be harder to get.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by mugen910
My friend also just got a 6 months Visa and I got a 3 month Mutli Entry visitor visa...It wasn't difficult. I'm not sure why a business Visa should be harder to get.
The business visa is harder to get because the VN Government has finally realized all the missed taxes they could have been collecting over the years. Anyone could get a 6 month Business visa, without a work permit. They want a piece of the pie now.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: 1-k spg gold
6 months visa rules have tightened after July, I will be re-applying soon, we will see what has happened. Rumor is to control and better monitoring for abuses.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 5:22 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Does anyone know the current cost of a tourist Visa 30 day single entry or 6 month muli entry? I have a USA passport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.