Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TPE: Crazy idea for a layover?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Question TPE: Crazy idea for a layover?

I have a six hour layover at TPE and since it begins at 17:00, it's too late to visit the Aviation Museum. So to kill time and because I'm weird, I was thinking of taking UBus to the Taoyuan High Speed Rail station, taking the HSR to Taipei station and then back to the airport. I've never taken the THSR so this will allow me to check it off the list (as I said, I'm weird).

Anyone see issues with this plan? Crowded buses, not being able to get a seat on the return train, equipment breakdowns leaving me stranded in Taipei, total waste of time?

Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I don't foresee a problem with your high speed rail itinerary. I took the HSR from TPE to the Main Station and it was quite easy. I took it specifically so I could say I had gone faster than 100mph on a train in Germany, France, Italy, Japan, and Taiwan

You probably have sufficient time to roam the city if you are comfortable with that. Check your luggage at the storage facility or locker and head into town.

Just check out the HSR website and note the times. Unless there's some special event, you can get a seat pretty easy.

A cab ride to/from TPE/city center is around $40 USD IIRC. You can negotiate/haggle for a flat rate.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:07 am

No, No!

Why take bus to train and not just the bus directly into town? Eva Air has coach bus service for NT$150 and multiple stops and trip anywhere from 45 minutes up, depending on where you get off?

Taxi service btw NT1000-1200 for ride into town.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
NAH... the OP is a train buff! Good luck to her...

No problems with that plan. The buses do work well though, at least FROM TPE. Going from the city centre can be a little more confusing.

If you're really keen you should go to London.... train to Paddington and then a lap of the circle line on the tube whilst you can. (It will soon be a spiral line...)
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by jimbo99
NAH... the OP is a train buff! Good luck to her...
I misread OP post....my fault.

She could also just take the train that runs from one terminal to the other, repeat 100 times
Old Nov 21, 2009, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
I misread OP post....my fault.

She could also just take the train that runs from one terminal to the other, repeat 100 times
Hmm... I don't know if 10 mph is as cool as faster than 100 mph
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
A cab ride to/from TPE/city center is around $40 USD IIRC. You can negotiate/haggle for a flat rate.

I can assure you the rates are not for negotiation, I would love to know how often you have managed to pull this off ?? The easy thing to do is jump on the shutle to the HSR you will need change for this. Take the next train into Taipei. Go outside the station for a quick walk around. Dont worry you wont get lost the station is huge. GRab some street food .Jump on the next train back. Three hours max.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
You could take the train into Taipei, have a quick dinner and take the bus or taxi directly back to the airport.

IME, taxis *from* the airport charge 1.5x meter rate--they are specially licensed and this rate is legally set. Taxis *to* the airport will usually give you a flat rate no more than TWD1,000. I have negotiated TWD800, and even been offered the ride for 700. But these are hard times for the drivers, and I think 900 from the train station to the airport is a fair price.

An airport bus also leaves from next to the Taipei RR Station every 20 minutes and costs 125.

Last edited by taipeipeter; Nov 24, 2009 at 9:27 pm
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:24 am
Suspended

what do you mean these are hard times for drivers ? I know many drivers in Taiperi and Taichung and they are never less than flat out with work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.