Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Bs. As. Neighbourhoods

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
AjedrecístaBritánico, I don't think there's any way that you won't be seen as a outsider from your accent.

Apart from using vos/second person singular, there's zheísmo, and a distinctive intonation pattern. Whereas my Argentine friends might have trouble placing some Central/South American Spanish dialects, they tell me they can easily recognize somebody from Spain.

John
+2. I am fluent in Spanish and, after living here for 5+ years, use lots of local idioms and expressions. Even so, one of the first questions I am usually asked when meeting new people is żDe donde sos?

You will stick out like a vegetarian at an asado
Old Aug 14, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
All good advice above. I have a home in Santos Lugares, (3 de feb), know much of the area, and am very comfortable walking alone day or night. Yes, there are some areas where it is smarter to avoid, but that can be said for Los Angeles, New York, or any larger city/suburb. Common sense usually tells you when to turn around.

Now, having said all that, I think you will have a tough time finding much in the way of hotels in the area. Considering the abundance and ease of public travel (trains, subways, busses), and the inexpensive remises (door-to-door flat-rate taxi) you might just want to pick a place in the Federal District that is nice (Recoleta, Palermo, etc.) as your home base, and commute out from there.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:31 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/10.2.012; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) WicKed/7.1.12344)

Originally Posted by ULDB65
All good advice above. I have a home in Santos Lugares, (3 de feb), know much of the area, and am very comfortable walking alone day or night. Yes, there are some areas where it is smarter to avoid, but that can be said for Los Angeles, New York, or any larger city/suburb. Common sense usually tells you when to turn around.

Now, having said all that, I think you will have a tough time finding much in the way of hotels in the area. Considering the abundance and ease of public travel (trains, subways, busses), and the inexpensive remises (door-to-door flat-rate taxi) you might just want to pick a place in the Federal District that is nice (Recoleta, Palermo, etc.) as your home base, and commute out from there.
I agree buses are abundant and inexpensive but... are they an option for travel at night...?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
... Considering the abundance and ease of public travel (trains, subways, busses), and the inexpensive remises (door-to-door flat-rate taxi) you might just want to pick a place in the Federal District that is nice (Recoleta, Palermo, etc.) as your home base, and commute out from there.
That would be my advice too. I suggest renting an apartment in either Recoleta or Palermo, rather than staying in a hotel.

John
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
If you want to rent an apartment, I suggest you consider Buenos Aires Habitat.... ^
Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Yes, but would this apply to two non-locals travelling in the area? Can someone say, from the UK or North America (who can speak Spanish) walk around the area too?

By the way, I'm not from Spain, but the Spanish I learnt was all Spain-oriented . I've almost never used ustedes in any form, and c=th, etc.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by AjedrecístaBritánico
Yes, but would this apply to two non-locals travelling in the area? Can someone say, from the UK or North America (who can speak Spanish) walk around the area too?

By the way, I'm not from Spain, but the Spanish I learnt was all Spain-oriented . I've almost never used ustedes in any form, and c=th, etc.
Ajedrecísta, you've already received some good advice in this and your other threads but I get the feeling you're almost looking for a cast-iron guarantee that you can wander around Tres de Febrero, General San Martin and Villa Martelli without anything untoward happening.

As has been pointed out, there are areas that are ok and other parts it would be best to avoid - sometimes just a couple of blocks can make a difference. You're not going to have this level of information unless you are with a local person or have at least spoken to a local and researched the area beforehand. As soon as you open your mouth (if not before), people will know you are not local. While in 99% of cases this will not be a problem and people will be friendly and only too glad to help, if you are in the wrong area at the wrong time you could find yourself in a difficult situation. The last thing I want to do is alarm you but wandering around with another non-local person increases the probability of this happening. At the end of the day, it boils down to common sense.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:03 am

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/10.2.012; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) WicKed/7.1.12344)

Originally Posted by britenbsas
Originally Posted by AjedrecístaBritánico

Ajedrecísta, you've already received some good advice in this and your other threads but I get the feeling you're almost looking for a cast-iron guarantee that you can wander around Tres de Febrero, General San Martin and Villa Martelli without anything untoward happening.

As has been pointed out, there are areas that are ok and other parts it would be best to avoid - sometimes just a couple of blocks can make a difference. You're not going to have this level of information unless you are with a local person or have at least spoken to a local and researched the area beforehand. As soon as you open your mouth (if not before), people will know you are not local. While in 99% of cases this will not be a problem and people will be friendly and only too glad to help, if you are in the wrong area at the wrong time you could find yourself in a difficult situation. The last thing I want to do is alarm you but wandering around with another non-local person increases the probability of this happening. At the end of the day, it boils down to common sense.
Amen!!
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

I found a fairly good website in http://www.holacaseros.com.ar/main.asp

Good galería de fotos, quite comprehensive information as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.