Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sidetrip to Colonia: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:34 pm
aau
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
sidetrip to Colonia: worth it?

As part of my BA mini-vacation/mileage run, I was thinking about taking a trip on the ferry to Colonia del Sacramento. Is it worth the trip? Since I will only be there 3 days, I don't want to spend a whole day somewhere else, maybe a few hours at most. I'll admit that getting a Uruguayan stamp in my passport is a big reason I'm considering visiting.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
While I admit that I haven't done a day trip to Colonia yet, it seems to get mixed reviews. From what I have been able to gather, it makes for a pleasant relaxing day, but if you have any expectations about it being a great destination with some sort of wow factor beyond the passport stamp, you might be disappointed.

But if it was me and I was only going to be in BsAs for three days, I probably wouldn't waste one of them on the trip (unless I was pretty sure that I wasn't coming back anytime soon).

If you want to keep your options open, just plan to do a same day trip on the high speed ferry on your last full day. And don't buy your tickets until the day before in the unlikely event that you decide that you have seen all BsAs has to offer.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Colonia was pleasant enough as a day trip, and quite picturesque. We were in BA for 11 days or so, the trip to Colonia was a nice relaxing break. I wouldn't call it spectacular or a must see, however -- it all depends on what you're looking for. If you do go, don't bother with a taxi -- it's an easy 10 minute walk from the ferry terminal.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, NWA US, BA
Colonia is fine, but nothing special, and if I only had 3 days in BA I wouldn't give one of them up just to see it. There is so much to do and see in BA you will want every second of your time there! I wish I had planned more time there when I was in Argentina in March!
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:39 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I echo the sentiments of the previous posters. I did a day trip to Colonia (in part for the bragging rights of having visited Uruguay), but I did it on my second long-weekend trip to Buenos Aires. You will have far too much to do in 3 days in BsAs to spend a third of that in Colonia.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I am not clear if this is your first trip to BAires.
If it is, then don't waste you time with Colonia.
If you have been to BAires before, then a side trip to Colonia is not a bad idea. I would get the "first class" seat on the fast ferry and would not take a tour. You can walk into town, have a nice lunch and just chill out. Next time I go, I would rent a bicycle or a scooter in the port and then see the town.
I thought it was interesting, the architecture is different than BAires and you do get your passport stamped, not once but twice.
There is also a duty free shop on the ferry. Nothing special though.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you pick a nice day weather wise it certainly is worth going to see.If you are into photography there are some interesting sights to snap, we found it very relaxing walking about the historical part and stopping for a coffee.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
it is an expensive ( by Argentine standards) high speed ferry , immigration etc,, and Uruguay is more expensive than argentina. There is nothing special there and quite boring. You can rent a minibike and ride around and then wonder why you did this trip.. "Bragging rights" what is there to brag about.
Stay in BsAs and have fun.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:59 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by PTravel
Colonia was pleasant enough as a day trip, and quite picturesque. We were in BA for 11 days or so, the trip to Colonia was a nice relaxing break. I wouldn't call it spectacular or a must see, however -- it all depends on what you're looking for. If you do go, don't bother with a taxi -- it's an easy 10 minute walk from the ferry terminal.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you pick a nice day weather wise it certainly is worth going to see.If you are into photography there are some interesting sights to snap, we found it very relaxing walking about the historical part and stopping for a coffee.
I also did a day trip to Colonia, and I found it to be worth the trouble. Its
a nice change of pace compared to BsAs and its pleasant. I did manage
to get a few good snaps from that place.

If I had to do it again, I think I would.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
do it

do it. the boat ride is quick and painless. nice little town to spend 4-5 hours.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
do it. the boat ride is quick and painless. nice little town to spend 4-5 hours.
Yes, but given the OP will only be in BsAs for three days, is it worth it to him to use up a day for 4-5 hours in a nice little town?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Originally Posted by VPescado
Yes, but given the OP will only be in BsAs for three days, is it worth it to him to use up a day for 4-5 hours in a nice little town?
Thank you, I doubt the OP will be so bored with only 3 days in Buenos Aires that he would need to spend the better part of a day visiting Colonia. You can't even enjoy the river on the fast ferry, you can't see out.

Sam
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:51 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I thoroughly enjoyed my scenic side trip to Uruguay. Then again, I was in South America for over two weeks. Colonia is very scenic and ejoyable with a lighthouse to climb, cozy restuarants and shops along cobblestoned streets. The Sheraton resort just outside of Colonia was awesome. However, if you only have three days, I would stay in Buenos Aires.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I thoroughly enjoyed my scenic side trip to Uruguay. Then again, I was in South America for over two weeks. Colonia is very scenic and ejoyable with a lighthouse to climb, cozy restuarants and shops along cobblestoned streets. The Sheraton resort just outside of Colonia was awesome. However, if you only have three days, I would stay in Buenos Aires.
what is awesome about a half empty, average hotel in the middle of nothing, and if OP is only spending few hours what does he/she need a hotel for.
There is no way i understand anyone recommending especially to someone with only 3-4 days in BsAs that a day to Colonia is a good thing. Oh I forgot the stamp in passport thing.
I must be very strange as I only get stamps where they insist on stamping....
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I detect a bit of BA's bias coming out here.

I wouldn't dream of advising someone who may never visit this part of the world again not to fit in a trip to Colonia even though they only have three days in BA.To be honest they could have three weeks in BA and not have enough time to take it all in so using one of their three days to sample another country is fair game in my book and won't make much difference to their memories of the city.

Personally, I would rather fly over to Montevideo for the day and get a truer sample of Uruguay life there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.