Wiki Posts
Search

Quick guide to BA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-6MM; Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Quick guide to BA

I am a mid-40's guy, planning to head to BA in late May.

Where would you suggest staying- in the city and hotels.

I am a Starwood fan, but I'm not thrilled about the offerings.

So, with that said, I'm open to your suggestions as to the "best hotels with the best value".

Mentioned on FT was Bobo, Melia Recoleta and Tryp.

I'd like to stay in the $150/night range.

Also, what areas of the city are best for sight seeing, good restaurants and bars.

Any suggestions on sights to see would be helpful.

I've got 5 days and look forward to soaking in the food, wine and culture of Argentina. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Of course, many thanks in advance.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:57 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Here is a good start in a short thread for you to check out...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816343

Also, in terms of bars, I suggest you consider:

- Bar Seis
- Gran Bar Danzon
- Bar Uriarte
Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
For sightseeing... I would consider the following:

- Puerto Madero & Plaza de Mayo Area
- La Boca & Caminito
- Walk around parks of Palermo - Rosegardens
- Recoleta Cementery

Are you into Museums...? If so, dont miss:

- Museo de Arte Decorativo
- Museo Malba
- Palais de Glace
- Centro Cultural Recoleta
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
I think the best area of the city for a first time vistor is the Recoleta district. It is the most upscale and fashionable area of the city and much like the nicer arrondissements of Paris. But for the restaurants and clubs you will find a fantastic collection of places to eat in Palermo SoHo. Not that there are not good places in the Recoleta and other districts, but there are so many good ones in Palermo SoHo.

Have a great visit.

Sam
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

To Sam and Gaucho...

First, muchas gracias Srs!

Your wisdom and guidance is greatly appreciated. I feel as though I should hire you two as unofficial tour guides.

Can either of you recommend hotels in Recoleta? I was thinking about staying at the Sheraton Liberator on my first and last night (early check in and late check out) and Hotel Bo Bo in the middle. If you think there's something of better value, I'm all ears.

I did check out the restaurant scene in other threads- very helpful. Thanks.

Do you think it would be practical to break into 5 days the sights that were mentioned? I would like to stroll, check out the architecture, shopping, museums and the general culture.

If either of you are there... perhaps I can buy you a drink and you can really spill your guts! Just kidding.

Thanks again for your continued assistance.

Jemctag
Old Apr 25, 2008, 5:09 am

As for walking tours the city tourism web site has some good suggestions along with a lot of other good information www.bue.gov.ar
As for hotels in the Recoleta the Art Hotel is very nice....http://www.arthotel.com.ar/ It is small, but the service is good.
The Bel Air is a nice one too here is the web address but Hotels.com have had much cheaper rates than the hotel web site so check both http://www.hotelbelair.com.ar/
Another option is the Design Suites Hotel http://www.epoquehotels.com/h.php/bu...tesbaires/l/en
Or if an apartment might work for you the Concord Callao at Callao 1234 has some nice studio apartments that rent for under $100 usd a night including maid and high speed internet. You can book them at http://www.temporaryapartments.com.ar/

As for the drink offer, thank you but I have returned to the US since winter is now coming on in Argentina. Last May was the coldest in 48 years so decided to avoid it this year

suerte
SAM
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks Sam.

Excellent advice.

I have made reservations at BoBo and Art Hotel as BoBo could not accommodate my entire stay. At least I will get the flavor of two different and apparently distinct neighborhoods.

Thanks Again.

Jemctag
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by jemctag
Excellent advice.

I have made reservations at BoBo and Art Hotel as BoBo could not accommodate my entire stay. At least I will get the flavor of two different and apparently distinct neighborhoods.

Thanks Again.

Jemctag
You are most welcome, be sure and have at least one dinner at the BoBo restaurant...to me it is fantastic.^

SAM
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Let me get this straight.
You have 5 days in Buenos Aires.
First night in Sheraton, last night in Sheraton and then 2 other hotels in between?
Unless you are there to write about hotels (a la Rick Steves or Samantha Brown) that is crazy talk.

Forget the hotel and enjoy the city. Stay in the same place.

Buenos Aires is amazing. Incredible street life, comparable only to Paris, amazing food, the people are wonderful, great architecture and the best Gelato west of Nice (France).
By the way, I really like La Borgougne. It is classical French food in the Alvear Palace Hotel. Arguably, named the best restaurant in South America. You should also hang out in the bar at Alvear. Very classy place.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Ok... got the reservations made... first night and last at Sheraton. I know it might sound crazy, but Plat status gives me early check in (I arrive at 9am) and late check out (9:30 flight Sunday). Plus I admit, I'm a points whore. LOL

In between, it's Art Hotel. So, I figure downtown and Recolata should be a good blend. Seems like I can always go to Palermo to check out the sights.

Again, thanks all for helping me on this trip. I'm very much looking forward to exploring BA/EZE.

By the way, I've also reserved Dante for EZE transfers for $25USD each way. Reasonable?

If anyone has "local's" restaurants, ie. great food, great price, please post of private mail me.

Thanks again.

jemctag.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 6:27 am

USD25 por EZE transfers is indeed reasonable. What sort of vehicle does Dante offer?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
USD25 por EZE transfers is indeed reasonable. What sort of vehicle does Dante offer?
Can't quite make out the exact model on his website, but it looks like a clean station wagon. Hey, it's only me and a carry-on, and for $25usd? Why not? He's been very responsive and helpful with advice on BA. Here's his web address:

http://www.dantesairporttransfers.hazedaze.com/

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:39 pm

Yes, I agree its reasonable... and considering the recent inflation, for a private and pre-booked transfer its actually a good deal.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Just as a point of comparison, I paid 90 pesos (+10 peso tip) for a taxi from EZE to my apartment in Palermo three weeks ago. For the return journey last Friday, I paid 74 pesos for a local remise.

John
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Insight has a particularly nice city guide to BA. It gave my visit there a lot more depth and understanding.

Romelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.