Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Side trips from Buenos Aires--Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Side trips from Buenos Aires--Help

I am planning a trip to Buenos Aires and would like to go somewhere else as well. Have been thinking about Mendoza, Punta del Este, or Mar del Plata. We are going with another couple. We are in our early 30's. What would be our best option? Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:51 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
What time of the year will you be here? Are you wine aficionados...? Do you prefer the beach or the mountain...? Are you die hard clubbers, like to do the Museum walks (or both?). Are you looking for a super luxury experience, mid-range or budget experience?

Kindly give us some more information and I will be glad to give you a couple of pointers.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

We are not die hard clubbers at all. We enjoy an active nightlife but don't like huge crowds. We will be going in early to mid March. We are leaning toward Punta del Este but want to make sure it is not "dead" that time of year. We are not interested in the huge crowds that Jan and Feb seem to draw but would like some nightlife. We really enjoy drinking and relaxing!!!!! Thanks for your help
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:22 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Forget Punta del Este in March.... its dead. March is a great time of the year to go out in Buenos Aires, its not as warm as Jan/Feb and the city is back to "normal" (so everything is going on).
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
JayBird, there are some good deals on the United.com in Argentina website from EZE to MVD (Montevideo, Uruguay) for $78 USD, all-in.

Plus, up to 3k in bonuses, check it out:

-----

Con esta oferta, ideal para una escapada a las maravillosas costas uruguayas, por cada ida y vuelta, siendo socio de Mileage Plus, usted acredita en su cuenta 1.000 millas de bonificación. Además, si hace su reserva online, recibirá hasta 2.000 millas de bonificación... ˇUn total de hasta 3.000 millas!

żAún no es socio de Mileage Plus? Inscríbase.

http://www.united.com.ar/home/es/pla...VD+22NOV&pos=2
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by SASfan
JayBird, there are some good deals on the United.com in Argentina website from EZE to MVD (Montevideo, Uruguay) for $78 USD, all-in.

Plus, up to 3k in bonuses, check it out:

-----

Con esta oferta, ideal para una escapada a las maravillosas costas uruguayas, por cada ida y vuelta, siendo socio de Mileage Plus, usted acredita en su cuenta 1.000 millas de bonificación. Además, si hace su reserva online, recibirá hasta 2.000 millas de bonificación... ˇUn total de hasta 3.000 millas!

żAún no es socio de Mileage Plus? Inscríbase.

http://www.united.com.ar/home/es/pla...VD+22NOV&pos=2
I checked and all flights came back with ARS465.80, that is about $155!?!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
T&c

USAFAN, here are the T&C. You have book the flight only on UA 846/847. I plugged in a sample weekend in Jan 07 and got a fare of ARS 248,70.

http://www.united.com.ar/home/en/pla...=2#Condiciones
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Forget Punta del Este in March.... its dead. March is a great time of the year to go out in Buenos Aires, its not as warm as Jan/Feb and the city is back to "normal" (so everything is going on).

Is it really "dead" in March? I am not worried about dance clubs, etc. I just want some (not many) people on the beach and some (not many) people at the bars. Is that what I will get in March? Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:26 pm

The summer season is basically over at the end of February. Im not saying the beaches will be deserted, but many places of leisure & entretainment will be closed in March. You will of course have the places that are open all year round that are operational, but you will not have the complete offering of what Punta del Este has to offer.

Its hard to say if March will offer what you are looking for, but since it seems that you are very flexible, then perhaps you should still visit Punta. Regardless of how many people you find, the sights are well worth visiting.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:09 am

Estancia Tour

Originally Posted by JayBird0711
I am planning a trip to Buenos Aires and would like to go somewhere else as well.....
Last time we tried a Estancia Tour. We went to the Estancia Santa Susanna .. and it was better than we expected. Yes, it's a "show" for tourists, but it was really interesting. Nice place, nice program....with food and wine...and Mate

http://www.estanciasargentinas.com/e...nta-susana.htm

We booked it here:
http://www.buenosaires.com.ar/estancia_tour_2.html
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. Gaucho--We were also thinking about Rio but am a little concerned about the crime. Would you recommend it?
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:30 pm

I'd highly recommend going to Iguazu Falls for a 2 night trip from Buenos Aires. I had gone about a year ago and started another thread then about my experiences. It is extremely impressive. The flight from Buenos Aires is a about two hours, so it is very convenient for a short trip.
Another trip I'd recommend (but didn't get a chance to do when I was there) would be to go to the Perito Moreno glacier at Calafate. The flights were sold out when I tried to book it upon arrival in Argentina, so you have to book the flight early.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:17 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
I'll second the Iguazu Falls side trip. I just did that a couple of weeks ago and massively enjoyed it. We flew up on a late morning flight Wednesday and back to BA on Friday afternoon, with 2 nights in the park at the Sheraton.

If you took an early morning Aerolineas Argentina flight (we flew LAN whose first flight is later) you could have your cab driver take you over to the Brazilian side for about 2-3 hours in the afternoon, then spend the next day in the Argentinian side and a late-afternoon flight, with only 1 night. But I'd recommend 2 nights. Especially if you stay at one of the more affordable places in the city of Iguazu, instead of the Sheraton, where you'll have to spend time on bus/cab to get to and from the park. Or if you arrive later in the day, to leave time to see both the Argentinian side one day the the Brazillian side the other.

Another good 1-day trip for us was taking the morning Buquebus high-speed ferry to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay. Just a 1-hour trip, get there about 11. Return trip around 6pm. Plenty of time to see the old town, the crafts shops and fairs, have a great meal, and unwind by the sea.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by JayBird0711
Thanks for all your help. Gaucho--We were also thinking about Rio but am a little concerned about the crime. Would you recommend it?
I dont think that you should miss out on going to Rio. Every large city has its share of crooks & pickpockets.... if you use common sense you will be fine. Rio is a beautiful place, a side trip from Buenos Aires is an excellent idea since both cities are very different and complement each other well. Dont let the "zoom lens" perspective keep you from going places.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by MarkXS
I'll second the Iguazu Falls side trip. I just did that a couple of weeks ago and massively enjoyed it. We flew up on a late morning flight Wednesday and back to BA on Friday afternoon, with 2 nights in the park at the Sheraton.

If you took an early morning Aerolineas Argentina flight (we flew LAN whose first flight is later) you could have your cab driver take you over to the Brazilian side for about 2-3 hours in the afternoon, then spend the next day in the Argentinian side and a late-afternoon flight, with only 1 night. But I'd recommend 2 nights. Especially if you stay at one of the more affordable places in the city of Iguazu, instead of the Sheraton, where you'll have to spend time on bus/cab to get to and from the park. Or if you arrive later in the day, to leave time to see both the Argentinian side one day the the Brazillian side the other.

Another good 1-day trip for us was taking the morning Buquebus high-speed ferry to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay. Just a 1-hour trip, get there about 11. Return trip around 6pm. Plenty of time to see the old town, the crafts shops and fairs, have a great meal, and unwind by the sea.
Some excelent advice above... ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.