Wiki Posts
Search

Allow extra time when departing EZE

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2006, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Allow extra time when departing EZE

I departed EZE last night (November 29) for my UA flight to IAD. Terminal 2 was the busiest I've seen it in the last five years.

Normally I can be checked in (using the 1K/C/F line), have paid my departure tax, cleared security and customs in 30 minutes or so. But last night even though I arrived at the aiport 130 minutes before departure, I only spend 5 minutes at the UA Red Carpet Club before going to the gate for secondary inspection/wanding/manual shoe inspection, and boarding.

Even though there were only two couples ahead of me to go through the initial security questioning, one had a bottle of wine that they spent about 10 minutes arguing about (after having admitted they had the bottle in their checked luggage), before they handed it over to the security screener. The other couple needed to repack their entire luggage right in front of the checkin agent to avoid excess baggage charges. There seemed to be a lot of tourists returning to the US, seemingly unfamiliar with the current security regulations.

The departure tax line was about 70 people deep (at the usually shorter line upstairs). Mercifully hand luggage screening and immigration were only slightly longer than normal - although there were more people than usual who had seemingly lost their duplicate immigration necessary for departure

Also note that on US-bound flights, no liquids/gels more the 100 ml exemption are allowed on board even if purchased in the secure area. I knew the rules about no duty-free wine on board changed last month (as reported by Gaucho100K), but that also includes sealed bottles of water picked up at the Red Carpet Club - the gate screeners told me they thought the rule was crazy, and knew where I picked up the water.

So if you are need to check in using the economy line (and especially if you are travelling on AA with their four evening departures), get to the airport in plenty of time. My flight left full - with some passengers boarding right before departure after a seat count was completed.

John
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Well, I took the same flight on Nov 28 and had the opposite experience.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:39 am

DELETED - Double Posting - Sorry..
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
...So if you are need to check in using the economy line (and especially if you are travelling on AA with their four evening departures), get to the airport in plenty of time....

Good advise! We needed yesterday two hours from arriving at EZE to get to the gate of our flight AA 900 to MIA. Long lines at security/check-in and "Immigration out of Argentina".
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:17 am

Oi. I´m not liking the sound of this. Any ideas on the LAN flight EZE-MIA? I´m on it on Tuesday night. AND I´m trying to request bulkhead because my wife is on crutches. They were VERY good about it on the MIA-EZE flight here. I may add an extra hour now just to be sure.

But could someone be kind enough to do me a favor? I hate to ask because I know it´s in the threads here....but I´d rather spend less time at the locutorio and more time wandering BA.... .....can you give me a quick summary of what the latest is on transporting liquid from EZE to the USA?

I presume anything (within reason naturally) can go in checked bags, but to carry on. I am also presuming I can do my quart size ziploc with less than 3 ounces of liquid or gel. But what is the deal now with getting something at duty free and bringing it on the plane? I was thinking of picking up a couple bottles of liquor and some perfume (there are two of us traveling). Can we do that or not? Will I have to buy it all in BA and put it all in checked luggage? Thanks for helping summarize for me.

Ciao.....
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:02 pm

We asked the perfume salespeople about it and they said that they could deliver at the gate, but we didn't buy to test that it works. I actually didn't notice anyone handing out duty free at the gate.

I had a ziplock but my companion did not bother and they didn't seem to care too much or find anything, but every bag gets inspected. I think they might have a "logical" approach to the ordeal and there was a sense of being apologetic about the stupidity unlike the zealousness that you would encounter, e.g. in Frankfurt. The bag search was very perfunctory. Bury your liquids deep in the bag or side pockets and you will be ok.

On the wall behind the inspectors there are TSA signs mentioning that liquids are absolutely prohibited but they are probably not up to date.

On the 28th I don't think it took more than ~25 minutes from arrival at EZE just after 20:00 to get thru check-in, tax purchase, security and customs. Maybe 5 min at each station.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by syzygy8
....I was thinking of picking up a couple bottles of liquor and some perfume (there are two of us traveling). Can we do that or not? Will I have to buy it all in BA and put it all in checked luggage? Thanks for helping summarize for me.....
I did not buy any bottles at EZE duty-free-shop, which had a good selection, but pretty high prices (especially for wine).
But I saw duty free bags delivered to the gate, however, only a few, three or four.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
I was thinking of picking up a couple bottles of liquor and some perfume (there are two of us traveling). Can we do that or not? Will I have to buy it all in BA and put it all in checked luggage? Thanks for helping summarize for me.
When I travelled back from EZE in Oct, my gf and I purchased wine and dulce de leche at duty free which was delivered at the aircraft door, after secondary screening. We were a little apprehensive but were able to enjoy the Malbec when we got back. You will get a receipt from the cashier as proof of payment.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
How about early am?

I'm on TAM EZE-GRU next month at 600 am. Any early morning experiences?
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by USAFAN
I did not buy any bottles at EZE duty-free-shop, which had a good selection, but pretty high prices (especially for wine).
Yes, for example, I purchased a bottle Luigi Bosca malbec reserva from the hotel bar for 35 pesos. I just happened to notice the same bottle on a shelf as I walked past duty free. It was USD 11 or pretty much the same price as the hotel bar. (!)
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:24 am

Thanks for the tips. I´m thinking, though, that I´ll probably pay extra at duty free for my booze than something cheaper in town. The premium is, I think, a small price to pay for allowing me to carry it and, thus, having more assurance for its safety, than trying to put it in my checked luggage and hoping for the best.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 11:23 am

It's possible that Argentina does not have the practice of obscene mark-ups on alcoholic beverages in restaurants and bars........
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
We asked the perfume salespeople about it and they said that they could deliver at the gate, but we didn't buy to test that it works. I actually didn't notice anyone handing out duty free at the gate.
Oh, and be really careful as you walk the gauntlet of perfume salespeople. 4 young women were attempting to douse me with spray as I walked toward my gate.

Since I'm allergic to most perfumes (instant, persistant headache) I had to yell, "woah... no!" to keep myself from receiving their generous attempt to poison me.

Rita
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:27 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by gnaget
It's possible that Argentina does not have the practice of obscene mark-ups on alcoholic beverages in restaurants and bars........
In reality, the marks ups do exist, while perhaps not as hefty as is the norm in the USA and the UK.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:29 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for the tips. I´m thinking, though, that I´ll probably pay extra at duty free for my booze than something cheaper in town. The premium is, I think, a small price to pay for allowing me to carry it and, thus, having more assurance for its safety, than trying to put it in my checked luggage and hoping for the best.
Another solution is to get your wines bought in town packed properly and check them in separately, which ensures your clothes & other belongings dont run the risk of getting stained.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.