Search

Warning to film photographers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Warning to film photographers

Just FYI to you photographers out there:
Just got back from a month in Argentina.
Unlike anywhere else I have traveled (26 countries), the airport security in Argentina has a "no exceptions" rule against hand inspection of film.

All film must be x-rayed with hand luggage. I went through 7 airports within Argentina, and was unable to get any relief, even with printed information from the TSA website stating that exposure to 5 or more x-ray passes may result in damage to film of any speed.

I did not have any lead bags with me so I had to take a chance. Just crossing my fingers now.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:43 pm

I am so sorry to hear that. I fear your photos are probably ruined if they went through seven x-ray machines. I learned the hardway to always carry a lead bag just in case. Did you have any digitals which would enable you to at least salvage some photos from your trip?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you are using very high-speed film, it should be fine. Even high-speed film should yield salvageable images -- there may be some loss of contrast as well as color shift.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:54 am
Original Poster

will post reults

I will post results after processing even though results can vary.
Should also note it was all ISO 50 & 100 slide film.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donnyb
I will post results after processing even though results can vary.
Should also note it was all ISO 50 & 100 slide film.
One more note: how important are these pictures to you? If they're very important, you might consider taking the film to a professional lab where they can be inspection developed, rather than relying on the local volume processor. Last time I checked, inspection development added an extra $15 to $20 per roll above the standard charge for developing and mounting. It might be worth it if your slides are irreplaceable.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by donnyb
Just FYI to you photographers out there:
Just got back from a month in Argentina.
Unlike anywhere else I have traveled (26 countries), the airport security in Argentina has a "no exceptions" rule against hand inspection of film.

All film must be x-rayed with hand luggage. I went through 7 airports within Argentina, and was unable to get any relief, even with printed information from the TSA website stating that exposure to 5 or more x-ray passes may result in damage to film of any speed.

I did not have any lead bags with me so I had to take a chance. Just crossing my fingers now.
probably a dumb question, but why couldnt you just put the film canisters in your pockets?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muddy
probably a dumb question, but why couldnt you just put the film canisters in your pockets?
35mm film comes, usually, in metal canisters. They'd set off the WTMD.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyingmama
I am so sorry to hear that. I fear your photos are probably ruined if they went through seven x-ray machines. I learned the hardway to always carry a lead bag just in case. Did you have any digitals which would enable you to at least salvage some photos from your trip?
I am only mildly concerned, since I was shooting very slow film, but it seemed worth passing on to others as a warning. Here is a link to research on the subject:

http://www.i3a.org/pdf/I3AFilmXrayTestReport.pdf
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:08 am
Original Poster

processed film arrived today

Happy to report all appears to be normal, no fogging, bands, or other issues.
FYI shot 40 rolls of Fuji slide films, ISO 50 & 100.

Nonetheless a warning to others who still shoot film, plan ahead for this issue, especially if you travel thru numerous airports within Argentina, especially with higher speed films (400 or higher).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.