Buenos Aires Airport (EZE) - money changers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires Airport (EZE) - money changers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2006, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by KebaNYC
......FYI the actual exchange rate is 2.76 Pesos to the dollar. The taxi booth had a 3.1 exchange rate.
Base Currency: US Dollar, USD on Thursday, September 14, 2006

Currency Code USD/1 Unit Units/1 USD
Argentine Peso ARS 0.3223 3.1097

$US - ARS = Average (365 days): 3.07991

http://www.oanda.com/

Gaucho100K:

Thanks for this warning ... I got twice ARS from ATMs at EZE..once from that ATM in that glass box, and once from an ATM from a British Bank.

Question: I have read, that I don't have to pay the 20%+ tax, when I pay the hotel bill with cash. True? If yes, where else can I save the tax?
I have gotten the tax back (at EZE) for purchases ... cash when paid with cash, credit when paid with Credit Card.
Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:21 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by USAFAN
Gaucho100K:

Question: I have read, that I don't have to pay the 20%+ tax, when I pay the hotel bill with cash. True? If yes, where else can I save the tax?
I have gotten the tax back (at EZE) for purchases ... cash when paid with cash, credit when paid with Credit Card.
Hello USAFAN--

Im afraid your question is a little tricky to answer. What you have read is indeed that some hotels will offer you a discount of around 20% if you pay cash, and while this is true at some locations, the real scheme of things is a little different. Some places make it look like they are giving you a break on the VAT - which coincidentally is 21% in Argentina. However, in practice, what these places are doing is cheating (evading) taxes, because its very probable that they are taking the cash from you and not issuing a proper tax invoice.

The refunds of taxes you are referring to do exist, but thats an entirely different matter, which is 100% legit. However, that tax refund scheme is only applicable to goods which you purchase here in Argentina but will be taking back home and consuming abroad. Therefore, a service like a restaurant bill or hotel bill is NOT applicable for a VAT refund.

Conclusion: you can save part of the VAT at places that display the Tax Free shopping logo and give you full tax invoices and fill out the paperwork for you. With these papers, you get a customs stamp at the airport and are then issued the applicable refund.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:20 am

Gaucho100K:

Thanks for explaining this, if it's not legit, it's not for me...
I believed it was an official "bonus", it's mentioned in some threads at Trip Advisor?!?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The only scheme that is 100% legit is the Tax Free program, similar to what is found in many European and Asian countries that have VAT in place.

As for the other discounts, there is a high probability that the hotels doing this are not issuing valid tax invoices, and are thereby evading the VAT. In theory, it is possible for them to offer a 20% discount for cash payment and still comply with all tax regulations, but the only way that a customer can make sure this is the case is to request a "Factura" (valid tax invoice) upon payment. If upon request of the Factura it is issued (and the price is still with the 20% off), then you would be faced with a case where this is a real & 100% legit discount.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Just a reminder to folks coming to EZE with Euros.... try to not have bills larger than 100 Euros as many money changers will not accept anything larger than 100s. The Banco Nacion is not the case, but other changers in town may have issues with bigger bills.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:44 am

exchangers

Thank you for all your wonderful information as we are planning a trip to EZE in Sept. I am wondering what the recent information is for exchanging USD for this trip and also. we have discovered that our flight on LAN is stopping in Chile and we will be paying taxes there, BA, Santiago, RIO, to the tune of over $250 per person.. am a bit preturbed..but don't think I can do anything about it now.. any suggestions on these issues would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Hot shot
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Just a reminder to folks coming to EZE with Euros.... try to not have bills larger than 100 Euros as many money changers will not accept anything larger than 100s. The Banco Nacion is not the case, but other changers in town may have issues with bigger bills.
Also remember that the bills need to be in good shape. Torn or defaced notes will be rejected in Argentina.

When I need US$100 bills I explain to my bank about wanting bills in good condition - I often get new currency, or am able to reject less than perfect bills. It seems to be common practice, since pretty much the only reason (at least in the US) to get $100 bills is for travel outside the US, and bank tellers are used to such requests.

John
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hot shot
Thank you for all your wonderful information as we are planning a trip to EZE in Sept. I am wondering what the recent information is for exchanging USD for this trip and also. we have discovered that our flight on LAN is stopping in Chile and we will be paying taxes there, BA, Santiago, RIO, to the tune of over $250 per person.. am a bit preturbed..but don't think I can do anything about it now.. any suggestions on these issues would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Hot shot
If your flight does a stop in Santiago, but you dont leave the airport, I doubt you will have to pay departure tax. The same goes for Rio...only if you will stay there will you have to dish out the airport taxes and also the reciprocity fees. BTW, no such visa related fees in Argentina... ^
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

BTW, current FX rate is AR$3.15 to US$ 1.-
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:18 am
Original Poster

bump...

Todays rate is AR$3.17-3.20 to each US Dollar.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
bump...

Todays rate is AR$3.17-3.20 to each US Dollar.
TO STRESS AGAIN
At EZE (airport), Change money only at BANK DE LA NACION
I changed 2 weeks ago :
At the above bank received 3.15 peso per US$
At the other exchange places , they were offering 2.7999 peso per US$.
Michael
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x320)

Ive written a Letter to La Nacion about these crooks... lets see if they publish it.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by yulmichael
TO STRESS AGAIN
At EZE (airport), Change money only at BANK DE LA NACION
I changed 2 weeks ago :
At the above bank received 3.15 peso per US$
At the other exchange places , they were offering 2.7999 peso per US$.
Michael
But was there a transaction fee or something involved at the other exchange plaes?

Sorry, math deficient here. Is this less than 1% difference important? Perhaps if you are a big spender living very large, but for the basic traveler with >$1000 a weekend, is that $10 that critical? It's like running around trying to find the very cheapest taxi in a town where all taxis are cheap.

Argentina is a very inexpensive travel destination. But you also need to take time to enjoy the trip and not try to put every moment into a wringer to squeeze the the last centavo out of each coffee.

I went to Bsa, Mendoza and Iguazu last September with Mr. lili. He wondered if our focus was on cheap travel, inexpensive beef and wine, or an enjoyable travel experience. Like, would you go there if it wasn't cheap? Yes, I would, but I'm wondering about this forum.

Enjoy the city, the country, try not to be stupidly ripped off, but let the small stuff go. Have a good time.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:55 pm

Programs: AC, UA, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by lili
But was there a transaction fee or something involved at the other exchange plaes?

Sorry, math deficient here. Is this less than 1% difference important? Perhaps if you are a big spender living very large, but for the basic traveler with >$1000 a weekend, is that $10 that critical? It's like running around trying to find the very cheapest taxi in a town where all taxis are cheap.

Argentina is a very inexpensive travel destination. But you also need to take time to enjoy the trip and not try to put every moment into a wringer to squeeze the the last centavo out of each coffee.

I went to Bsa, Mendoza and Iguazu last September with Mr. lili. He wondered if our focus was on cheap travel, inexpensive beef and wine, or an enjoyable travel experience. Like, would you go there if it wasn't cheap? Yes, I would, but I'm wondering about this forum.

Enjoy the city, the country, try not to be stupidly ripped off, but let the small stuff go. Have a good time.
It's more like a 12.5% difference. Using your $1000 weekend, you would end up with 351 Peso less at the 2.799 rate than the 3.15 rate.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:21 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by quickcanuck
It's more like a 12.5% difference. Using your $1000 weekend, you would end up with 351 Peso less at the 2.799 rate than the 3.15 rate.
As admitted, bad math. It's all those zeros that are confusing. Money changers love people like me, which is why I avoid them whenever possible. 12.5% is a large difference, especially if the $1k weekend actually came it at $2k. Nail the guys, Gaucho00k, and thank you for your constant support of Buenos Aires travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.