Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mendoza/Wineries on Weekends

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Mendoza/Wineries on Weekends

I think this may have been asked before, andI'd have searched on this subject first, but can't. So please bear with me.

I'm planning my visit to Mendoza to arrive on a Friday and leave on a Monday. But it's my understanding that most of the wineries are closed on weekends. The folks at the place we're staying have told me that they will help me organize tours for a full day in wineries when I arrive, and they know I'm there on a weekend.

I'd hate to drop a few hundred $ getting my wife and I over to Mendoza (for probably the only chance in our life) from BA, only to find that when we leave we'll be disappointed by all the things we couldn't do. We don't need the most touristy places, but definitely would like to have the opportunity to visit a few each day, including some where we can eat on premises. Since I haven't booked air from BA-Mendoza, I can arrange for weekday. But there is no vacancy where we were hoping to stay.

So, for folks familiar with the area, am I better off finding a new place to stay and booking a flight for that weekday visit, or am I too worried about this and will have a great time on the weekend and not leave disappointed?

Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I don't have an answer to your question, but I too am going to Mendoza later this month and am thinking of staying in the same hotel. I got the recommendation out of a guidebook- how did you hear about it? I am debating whether a rental car is necessary- I am inclined to think that is Mendoza proper (ie the Hyatt) a car is not required but at Finca Adalgisa I am afraid we will be stuck without one. Do you have any insights? Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:51 am

Visited Mendoza last week and nothing but kudos for Finca Adalgisa. Very nice country place with beautiful grounds and helpful staff. Although I was not there on a weekend I did pose your question, and Saturday you be able to get into most wineries. Sunday would be doubtful unless you book a tour in advance at a cost.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by syzygy8
I think this may have been asked before, andI'd have searched on this subject first, but can't. So please bear with me.

I'm planning my visit to Mendoza to arrive on a Friday and leave on a Monday. But it's my understanding that most of the wineries are closed on weekends. The folks at the place we're staying have told me that they will help me organize tours for a full day in wineries when I arrive, and they know I'm there on a weekend.

I'd hate to drop a few hundred $ getting my wife and I over to Mendoza (for probably the only chance in our life) from BA, only to find that when we leave we'll be disappointed by all the things we couldn't do. We don't need the most touristy places, but definitely would like to have the opportunity to visit a few each day, including some where we can eat on premises. Since I haven't booked air from BA-Mendoza, I can arrange for weekday. But there is no vacancy where we were hoping to stay.

So, for folks familiar with the area, am I better off finding a new place to stay and booking a flight for that weekday visit, or am I too worried about this and will have a great time on the weekend and not leave disappointed?

Thanks for your advice.
On my visit to Mendoza, stayed at Finca Adalgisa and Gabriela Furlotti (the owner) was able to arrange last minute visits to wineries on Friday and Saturday. I especially remember that the owner of Dolium (can't recall his name) made it a point to be at the winery on Saturday afternoon. A good place to have lunch while touring is Zuccardi where the restaurant is located in the middle of the vineyards. With regard to rental cars, I think you would need one regardless of whether you are staying in downtown Mendoza or out in the country (Adalgisa). I hope this answers your questions.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
I´m in Mendoza now and it seems most of the wineries are open on weekends. In town Mundo Faustina is a nice restauraunt.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by cj001f
I´m in Mendoza now and it seems most of the wineries are open on weekends. In town Mundo Faustina is a nice restauraunt.

La Bourgogne is a wonderful French reataurant on the grounds of a winery, about 20 minutes outside Mendoza proper. If you have the time it is worth the trip.
Old May 14, 2005, 7:54 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Luxury Wine Tourism

As part of my commercial activities, I sell very high-end wine tourism services. Please contact me via PM if you are interested or alternatively you can email me at [email protected]

Please see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371229
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:14 am
LLB

Does anyone know anything about Postales del Plata Valle de Uco Lodge near Tunuyan or Chacras de Coria Lodge?
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:37 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thumbs up Postales del Plata - highly recommended

Originally Posted by LLB
Does anyone know anything about Postales del Plata Valle de Uco Lodge near Tunuyan or Chacras de Coria Lodge?
Yes. Postales del Plata is a US owned operation that has two lodges in Mendoza, one in the Chacras de Coria area and another in the Valle de Uco. This is a very good (one of the best) choice to stay in Mendoza, with English speaking staff and very good service, amenities and good value for money. The Chacras de Coria location is closer to downtown Mendoza, while the Valle de Uco location is some 45 miles south of Mendoza, in Tunuyan. I suggest you guys plan staying at each location depending on which wineries you will visit.

Also, if you are lucky enough to have Chef Pablo del Rio cook at the location you are staying at, you are in for a treat. Pablo rotates around both locations depending on how busy each lodge is. The folks at Postales will also do their best to arrange winery visits for you. I have stayed at both locations and can recommend both with no hesitation.

For more details, please see:

www.postalesdelplata.com
Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:20 am
LLB

Gaucho100K,
Thanks for the info. I did get a quote from them, the room rates with board were reasonable, but when they added on some winery visits the price went up considerably. Could we just visit the wineries on our own? We were planning on renting a car and doing some touring on our own anyway. How many days would you suggest for Mendoza?
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LLB
Gaucho100K,
Thanks for the info. I did get a quote from them, the room rates with board were reasonable, but when they added on some winery visits the price went up considerably. Could we just visit the wineries on our own? We were planning on renting a car and doing some touring on our own anyway. How many days would you suggest for Mendoza?
Can you please share with us the prices you were quoted?
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by LLB
Gaucho100K,
Visiting wineries on your own is possible, but this will limit access to wineries with specific tourism departments and its possible you will get the cookie cutter treatment. Renting a car is possible, although Mendoza is not the best in terms of road signs and getting around town and to the different wineries, while not impossible, is not an easy task. If you ask me, I dont think that driving is a good companion to serious wine tasting....
Old Aug 31, 2005, 4:04 pm
LLB

Here's the quotes I had:
Cavas Wine Lodge www.cavaswinelodge.com a special introductory rate of $200 USD +21% tax for a double room.This included breakfast but nothing else. The 2 day package with wine tours was $495 per person plus 21% tax.
This place may be great but it was too much money.Plus they emphasized this price was truly a discount,not available for long. If we wanted meals only, lunch would be $25USD, dinner around $30USD not including wine.

Finca Adagisa - $150 USD per room with breakfast

Valle de Uco and Chacras de Coria are both running an internet special until the end of September at $95 USD per room or $125 full board if prepaid.This seems like a better deal to me.

Is it worth it to rent a car and drive to the Andes? How many days total for Mendoza would you recommend?
Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:49 am

Im not sure renting a car and having to drive is a good idea if you are going to want to enjoy your wine visits. A car and driver would be a better option and these are usually quite reasonably priced.
Old May 6, 2006, 12:39 pm

Cavas Wine Lodge is one of the best places to stay in Mendoza, with amenities and services to match the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.