Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2004, 10:00 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
Would this area be a good location for tourists? Thanks so much!
Yes, location should be fine.
Old May 12, 2004, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wilton Hotel - some additional information

Please see:

http://www.buenosaires.com/hoteles/e...4/WiltonHotel/
Old May 14, 2004, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having poked around a bit, it seems like the Claridge -- despite it's 5 stars -- may not be a great place to stay these days. Apparently the "star system" is very unreliable in Argentina.

The Argenta Tower hotel (a 4 star) has been recommended to me. Anyone with any experiences there? The "negotiated price" seems to be about $75. I'd welcome any other hotel suggestions (doesn't seem necessary to spend over $100, though).
Old May 14, 2004, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iahphx
Having poked around a bit, it seems like the Claridge -- despite it's 5 stars -- may not be a great place to stay these days. Apparently the "star system" is very unreliable in Argentina.

The Argenta Tower hotel (a 4 star) has been recommended to me. Anyone with any experiences there? The "negotiated price" seems to be about $75. I'd welcome any other hotel suggestions (doesn't seem necessary to spend over $100, though).
Im afraid I dont know the Argenta Tower.

Agree with you on the "star" comment.... Ive found the system to be quite unreliable in many destinations, and Buenos Aires is no exception.

As for the Claridge, I think it depends greatly on the room you get, thats been my experience with comments Ive gotten from people that have stayed there.
Old May 15, 2004, 12:52 pm

My wife and I stayed at the Wilton Hotel $50USD w/bkfst nothing fancy but i would stay again good location,also stayed at ART Suites small hotel all suites w/kitchens incl breakfast in your room,my wife has purchased beautiful leather coats on 2 or our trips at dalla fontana leathers they have a shop I think ablk off of Florida nice styles that you dont see in USA around $140-$160 including alterations may be able to get for less but my wife loves them and they are nice people.but do bargain you should be able to get 10-2o% off inital asking price.Gaucho can you give us NorthAmericans some guidance in this area?Argentina is a wonderful place and we will return soon.
Old May 16, 2004, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thebug622
My wife and I stayed at the Wilton Hotel $50USD w/bkfst nothing fancy but i would stay again good location,also stayed at ART Suites small hotel all suites w/kitchens incl breakfast in your room,my wife has purchased beautiful leather coats on 2 or our trips at dalla fontana leathers they have a shop I think ablk off of Florida nice styles that you dont see in USA around $140-$160 including alterations may be able to get for less but my wife loves them and they are nice people.but do bargain you should be able to get 10-2o% off inital asking price.Gaucho can you give us NorthAmericans some guidance in this area?Argentina is a wonderful place and we will return soon.
Thebug-- very glad you had a good time in Buenos Aires. Im not sure what you are referring to exactly, do you mean guidance for purchasing leather goods? Or are you talking about bargaining the price down, or both? Please clarify and I will be happy to assist you.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Old May 16, 2004, 7:42 pm

Programs: 11 Longhaired Friends of Jesus; Chartreuse Microbus; just demoted to AA nonentity
Hotel tipping?

I'll be arriving Buenos Aires this week with two days scheduled at the Park Tower. Having never stayed in a "butler hotel," I would be most grateful if anyone (hi, Gaucho ) could advise what the proper protocol is for tipping in this neck of the woods.

Last edited by Wheezer; May 16, 2004 at 7:46 pm
Old May 16, 2004, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wheezer
I'll be arriving Buenos Aires this week with two days scheduled at the Park Tower. Having never stayed in a "butler hotel," I would be most grateful if anyone (hi, Gaucho ) could advise what the proper protocol is for tipping in this neck of the woods.
No need to tip on a per job basis (unless its a very big/important job).... per-diem will be OK (at the end of the day).
Old May 16, 2004, 9:07 pm

Programs: 11 Longhaired Friends of Jesus; Chartreuse Microbus; just demoted to AA nonentity
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
No need to tip on a per job basis (unless its a very big/important job).... per-diem will be OK (at the end of the day).
Thanks, Gaucho. But bellboys, maids, the mysterious butler, could you advise whom, how much, what is customary? The room is booked in dollars, and I'm frankly accustomed to staying on friends' couches, so I'm flying blind in this here going a-courting in a country I've never met.

[Edited to add:] Sorry to be such a nervous Nellie.

Last edited by Wheezer; May 17, 2004 at 5:51 pm
Old May 17, 2004, 10:12 pm

visit antartica

hi!,
Whats the best way from EZE to visit antartica. (less expensive ones)
thnx!
Old May 17, 2004, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

All amounts in local currency, Argentine Pesos.

Bellboys, $2 per bag
Maid, $5-$10 per day
Butler, $10 per day - more depending on what he does for you

Cheers,
Gaucho
Old May 17, 2004, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meghadhoot
hi!,
thnx!
Sorry, Im not an expert on Antartica.... but I think you will do best to go to EZE and book everything from there if you have time (ie. if you go there well enough in advance).
Old May 17, 2004, 11:16 pm

Thanks again, Gaucho. My head is feeling a little less like it's going to 'splode now that I have a reckoning point.
Old May 18, 2004, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by meghadhoot
hi!,
thnx!
Take a flight from AEP to USH. That's Antartica enough for me Most expeditions to Antartica are sponsored by some scientific or other endevours.
Old May 18, 2004, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Beware, USH is not an inexpensive location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.