Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:49 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dedehans
Dear Gaucho and everyone familiar with BA...

I am staying at the Alvear Palace.....what extraordinary shops, galleries, museums are within walking distance of the hotel? 20 minutes?

Gracias!
This hotel is good.... but, I would stay away from the restaurante. Overpriced, sloppy service.... and the Chef is a friggen snob/bozo. For fine dining..... go to Nectarine or Sinclair.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
REAL ice-cream in Buenos Aires

Originally Posted by sargento
I think you were right Gaucho in refering to the Sushi places as more of an abmient than top cuisine.. there was another place I went to in Palermo (not Palermo Hollywood) that was a small family run sushi place that was fantastic.. (better than the one in Puerto Madero or Palermo Hollywood).. it was on a street paralel to St. Fe off Coronel Diaz.. ...

In terms of cusine.. the pasta mom & pop restaurants.. (ones inside residental areas) are fantastic and definetly worth trying a few... and don't forget to stop by the local Persicco for authentic Gelato...... it's by one of the Original Freddo founders (what used to be the bar of Gelato) until the over-franchised it... though there's also Munchi's (more expensive and overall good) and another one that opened on Avenida Libertador.. (I forgot the name but it's close the Paseo Alcorta shopping mall)...

Gaucho, by all means state your views as some of my aspects come more from socializing aspect of the 13 months I spent there.. ^
Sargento is right on. Buenos Aires is one of the world's capitals in terms of real gourmet ice-cream (or Gelato if you prefer to use the term). Some of the best places to sample this authentic Argentine delicacy, with obvious Italian roots but with many enhancements from 3rd and 4th generation Italo-Argentines are:

- Volta (Un altra Volta)
- Persicco - http://www.persicco.com/
- Chungo

Ask your hotel concierge for the nearest location.... these folks are constantly opening new outlets throughout the city.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arfgoblue
heard from rep that delta is starting nonstop from atlanta starting dec 1st
Excellent news.... Im sure after the holiday season there will be some great fares to come down and visit... ^
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:25 am

Programs: AC*50K, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold
The Alvear is definetely a fantastic hotel to stay in Buenos Aires.. It's close to everything and walking distance to most shopping areas.

In terms of Galleries, there is a good one on Libertador, a private one, which is a couple stories high and has a good rotation of exhibits. Be sure to ask the conceirge as I forget the exact same.

Shopping. You will have a wide variety of options, including fantastic selection of leather jackets. Though if you are serious about searching for one, take a cab or a subway to the Onze area where they have two streets full of factory stores at great prices (better than Florida street). The cost is minnimal (about 5-6 pesos)

Sightseeing, definetly take your time wallking around the cementary, though on the weekends there are a couple tour groups wandering around, and you can always tag around for a few minutes and then explore by yourself (I found this more interesting as it allowed time to actually take in the different styles of gravestones that they have).

There's also the national gallery, also on Libertador, housing a variety of art and the cost is minimal.

Cafes, there are many and definetly worth it to give your feet a break. Also in the Recoleta area (near the cementary) there are a few cafes where you can also catch a wine on their "patios" as you watch all the strollers walk by.

If you have time, try and take in an opera or a show at the Main theatre on Av 9 de Julio. It's a got fantastic acquistics and I remember being on the fifth floor (!!) and still being able to hear clearly, though I sacrificied vision.

Hope these ideas help...
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:27 am

Programs: AC*50K, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Excellent news.... Im sure after the holiday season there will be some great fares to come down and visit... ^
Definetely hope so as my girlfriend and I are looking to go down early next year and travel around S.A.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
This hotel is good.... but, I would stay away from the restaurante. Overpriced, sloppy service.... and the Chef is a friggen snob/bozo. For fine dining..... go to Nectarine or Sinclair.
Gauch100K:
You really don't serve dedehans, other FTs well. Why do you hate Relais & Chateaux (association) Chef Jean-Paul Bondoux?
I had a business lunch at La Bourgogne, 124 pesos for two persons, wine included!
The food (fixed-price menu) was very good - at least worth one Michelin *! The service was friendly, motivated and professional; young staff.
The also have a small shop for take-away food!

From Fodors
LA BOURGOGNE

This French restaurant is generally considered the city's best -- and one of the most expensive -- restaurants in town. White tablecloths and fresh roses contribute to the elegance. A sophisticated waitstaff brings you complimentary hors d'oeuvres as you choose among the foie gras, rabbit, escargots, chateaubriand, côte de veau (veal steak), and other delicacies. The fixed-price menu is more affordable than à la carte selections. Reservations essential. Jacket and tie. AE, DC, MC, V. Subte: Line C, Estación San Martín.
BTW, I also went to Cabaña las Lilas and was not impressed.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:59 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
My daughter (mid-20's) is planning to visit Buenos Aires next March with a friend and was told that the Best Western Art Deco Hotel was a good, inexpensive choice for a hotel that would be good lodging for two women... Anyone have any insight into that place?
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:47 am

Programs: 11 Longhaired Friends of Jesus; Chartreuse Microbus; just demoted to AA nonentity
Originally Posted by prspad
My daughter (mid-20's) is planning to visit Buenos Aires next March with a friend and was told that the Best Western Art Deco Hotel was a good, inexpensive choice for a hotel that would be good lodging for two women... Anyone have any insight into that place?
I don't know the property itself, but the area (Retiro) in the evening really struck me as being similar to the Chicago Loop--urbane high-rise living, and rather desolate at night. Radio taxi all the way.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:56 pm

Business and Fun

I'm traveling to BA at the end of August thru beginning of September. This will be my FIRST time out of the country. I'm travelling for business and adding some time for fun.
Can you tell me what business attire is like in BA? And "going out" attire. I don't want to stick out as a foreigner. Also -- what will the weather be like?
Thanks.

And -- thanks for all of the info I've read already on these postings.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:04 pm

Programs: 11 Longhaired Friends of Jesus; Chartreuse Microbus; just demoted to AA nonentity
Originally Posted by Chicagoan
I'm traveling to BA at the end of August thru beginning of September. This will be my FIRST time out of the country. I'm travelling for business and adding some time for fun.
Can you tell me what business attire is like in BA? And "going out" attire. I don't want to stick out as a foreigner. Also -- what will the weather be like?
Chicagoan, welcome to FT. The weather should be cool and damp, occasionally chilly by Chicago standards, but still pleasant on sunny days. For a business trip, I don't think French cuffs would raise an eyebrow, if you get my drift.

Going out on the town, there's not much point in worrying about obviously being a foreigner, which will immediately be clear unless your Castellano is very well practiced. In my limited experience, the operating principle is style--Bruno Bertini and Chuck Taylor seem to be able to coexist peaceably so long as they both demonstrate panache.

Last edited by Wheezer; Jul 20, 2004 at 10:15 pm
Old Jul 21, 2004, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USAFAN
Gauch100K:
You really don't serve dedehans, other FTs well. Why do you hate Relais & Chateaux (association) Chef Jean-Paul Bondoux?
I had a business lunch at La Bourgogne, 124 pesos for two persons, wine included!
The food (fixed-price menu) was very good - at least worth one Michelin *! The service was friendly, motivated and professional; young staff.
The also have a small shop for take-away food!

BTW, I also went to Cabaña las Lilas and was not impressed.
Hi USAFAN-- I dont hate R&C, quite the contrary, I greatly enjoy many of the establishments associated with this organization. I do have issues with the said chef and his joint because Ive been there various times, and have always been let down. The best meal Ive had is mediocre, maybe Ive been just plain unlucky or I need some insider to get me introduced to the Chef and that may do the trick.

As for Cabania Las Lilas, I have to say that the place is not consistent. Its a shame, because when they are firing on all cylinders, the place is excellent.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chicagoan
Thanks.

And -- thanks for all of the info I've read already on these postings.
Welcome to FT and very glad to hear you are coming to Buenos Aires. As to your questions:

1) Business attire in Buenos is quite formal. There are instances where this is relaxed, especially if you are talking about a US MNC that may have a dress-down corporate policy. Else, you will be expected to have a formal business suit.

2) As for going out attire.... it depends on the kind of crowd you will be hanging out with. A lot of the night life during the week is done in busines attire... else, EZE is like any 'other' European Capital in terms of dress code for socializing.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:57 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Question

Hey Gaucho, how's the weather over there in February?
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jfe
Hey Gaucho, how's the weather over there in February?
I'm not Gaucho - But Here is the historical data for the city Between 70s-80s.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suipacha y Arroyo Suites

Has anyone stayed at the Suipacha y Arroyo Suites? It looks pretty nice and isn't a bad deal. However, I haven't seen any discussion of it yet. It looks like the location is pretty good for a first-time traveler to EZE. Am I correct about that?

See: http://www.syasuites.com/eng/ubicacion.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.