Buying tickets on AR without paying the "impuesto pais"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)

If I go to Aerolineas' website and select US at the residence country, airfares are quoted in USD and the "impuesto pais" is not included.

Are purchases charged to my US-issued credit card in USD or in pesos?
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
If I go to Aerolineas' website and select US at the residence country, airfares are quoted in USD and the "impuesto pais" is not included.

I'd expect them to have a US POS, and I would not be surprised if it shows as Miami.
fliesdelta likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd expect them to have a US POS, and I would not be surprised if it shows as Miami.
Good point. I'll report back once I ticket in the next few days.

How's the service on domestic AR flights? I'm Delta gold medallion, any perks since it's Elite+?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM

How's the service on domestic AR flights? I'm Delta gold medallion, any perks since it's Elite+?
Service is almost non existent

If you are lucky you may get a soda and an Alfajor.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 7:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold

Elite Plus = priority check-in and boarding and one extra checked-in suitcase (note that there is a weight limit of 15kg/bag in domestic flights). Chances of an upgrade to Club Economy (better seat, same basic service) are also quite high - you are just below the AR Diamante and Platino members (and there aren't many of those).
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by malagajohn
Service is almost non existent

If you are lucky you may get a soda and an Alfajor.
And what service do you expect? I fly AA on domestic routes and I only get drink and Biscoff cookies or Pretzels, same with United Airlines
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:13 am

You will be charged in USD, since POS (point of sale) is in USA. Keep in mind "impuetos pais" is just a tax/fee when ticket is sold in Argentina, is a way to match a little bit to the actual price in dollars. My advice, get charged in Pesos using Argentina as your residence country, it will be much cheaper, you may ended up saving a 60% since price in pesos is always cheaper than prices in dollars.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fedechat
You will be charged in USD, since POS (point of sale) is in USA. Keep in mind "impuetos pais" is just a tax/fee when ticket is sold in Argentina, is a way to match a little bit to the actual price in dollars. My advice, get charged in Pesos using Argentina as your residence country, it will be much cheaper, you may ended up saving a 60% since price in pesos is always cheaper than prices in dollars.
Not dissuading anyone from doing this, just a caveat that you are then subject to Argentine law with respect to refunds, cancellations, etc.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fedechat
And what service do you expect? I fly AA on domestic routes and I only get drink and Biscoff cookies or Pretzels, same with United Airlines
Yes, but that's all you get in the AR's front cabin on shorter haul services, served in plastic, and not even a splash of booze available. And that includes international shorter haul.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not dissuading anyone from doing this, just a caveat that you are then subject to Argentine law with respect to refunds, cancellations, etc.
DOT's rules won't apply to tickets where departure or destination is not in US, similar with EU261, which will only kick-in with EU airlines or departures from EU.

AR have some flexible T&C, even the Promo Fare (cheapest one) will let you make a voluntary change pre/post departures for less than 10k AR$ (9 dollars) on Arg website, while US website is 25/30 dollars. The only issue with AR (an many others airlines) is when you buy a flight more than 6 months in advance, you may get a schedule change (from 10 minutes to 3 hours) and when that happen, you can always call and select a different flight and even change the airport (AEP to EZE for example), at least in my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.