Wiki Posts
Search

EZE connection time question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
EZE connection time question

I'm trying to connect from AR1893 USH-EZE 17:15-20:40 to UA818 EZE-IAH 22:05-05:15

Is 85 minutes enough connection time from domestic to international in EZE? As a small safety net, I've got GS on UA.

My other option is to take AR1897 USH-AEP 14:15-17:40. Which lands 3.5 hours earlier but requires an airport change.

Last edited by nabster; Jan 12, 2024 at 8:49 am
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I think 85min is not enough if you have to collect bags (most likely since USH is cold all year around) and cut off time to drop your bags is 60min, besides you have to do immigrations on your departure and it can take more than 30 minutes because many flights leave around that time frame.
Marambio and M60_to_LGA like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Agree this seems too short - are you checking in any bags? Boarding usually closes at least 30 min before departure, leaving you with ca. 1 hour (assuming your USH flight is on time) to retrieve bags, walk to the international departures terminal (around 300 metres), check-in, clear security and immigration and walk to the gate. There is a "Fast Pass" queue for security (not sure if you're eligible, otherwise you can pre-book online for 20 USD) but no priority access for passport control.

As for the AEP-EZE transfer, this is also very tight but doable depending on traffic. I would normally allow at least 4 hours for this transfer.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Of the two options, which one would you recommend? The 85 minutes intra EZE connection or the 3.5hr AEP-EZE connection?

I have a big duffle and a back pack. I don't expect to check these in for United, but US airlines are more lenient with larger carry ons.

Aerolineas Argentine may require me to check on the USH-EZE leg.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marambio
Agree this seems too short - are you checking in any bags? Boarding usually closes at least 30 min before departure, leaving you with ca. 1 hour (assuming your USH flight is on time) to retrieve bags, walk to the international departures terminal (around 300 metres), check-in, clear security and immigration and walk to the gate. There is a "Fast Pass" queue for security (not sure if you're eligible, otherwise you can pre-book online for 20 USD) but no priority access for passport control.

As for the AEP-EZE transfer, this is also very tight but doable depending on traffic. I would normally allow at least 4 hours for this transfer.
How is traffic in that direction on a weekday evening between 6-9pm?

Is the fast pass for business class travel?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I assume these are two separate tickets, right? (Does AR even interline with UA?)

If that's the case, and even if it's not, I would really not do this. It's very likely you're going to find yourself stuck in BA after a delayed arrival.

When I used to go to Patagonia for work, I would fly back to BA on a morning flight the day before my onward departure to the US. On one occasion, my early morning flight to BA became a late afternoon flight with no advance notice.

There are far too many elements outside your control to risk this connection, in my opinion.
Marambio likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by nabster
How is traffic in that direction on a weekday evening between 6-9pm?

Is the fast pass for business class travel?
6pm through 8pm is rush hour for leaving the city (your direction). I had no problem this week as it’s still early January (summer holidays) but during the year it is usually quite bad. I would estimate 1.5 hours just to be safe.

Fast Pass is not necessarily for Business Class – I travel AF and security staff won’t let me use it despite my boarding pass showing Sky Priority. I think other airlines may have it, but I’m not sure. Otherwise I know you can buy it for 20 USD from the EZE website.

As others mentioned, both transfers seem very tight. I would also book a flight out of USH in the morning just to play it safe.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I assume these are two separate tickets, right? (Does AR even interline with UA?)

If that's the case, and even if it's not, I would really not do this. It's very likely you're going to find yourself stuck in BA after a delayed arrival.

When I used to go to Patagonia for work, I would fly back to BA on a morning flight the day before my onward departure to the US. On one occasion, my early morning flight to BA became a late afternoon flight with no advance notice.

There are far too many elements outside your control to risk this connection, in my opinion.
​​​​​​​Yes, 2 separate tickets...

That said, it does appear they interline on some segments. On my way down, I am flying EWR-GRU-AEP on a UA ticket where the GRU-AEP leg is operated by AR.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marambio
6pm through 8pm is rush hour for leaving the city (your direction). I had no problem this week as it’s still early January (summer holidays) but during the year it is usually quite bad. I would estimate 1.5 hours just to be safe.

Fast Pass is not necessarily for Business Class – I travel AF and security staff won’t let me use it despite my boarding pass showing Sky Priority. I think other airlines may have it, but I’m not sure. Otherwise I know you can buy it for 20 USD from the EZE website.

As others mentioned, both transfers seem very tight. I would also book a flight out of USH in the morning just to play it safe.
The problem is, I'm returning from an Antarctica cruise that arrives earlier that morning between 7-8am. And after 9am (which connects through REL), there are no flights from USH to BA till the two evening flights I've listed above.

Last edited by nabster; Jan 12, 2024 at 3:31 pm
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I will take the later, the one it arrived in AEP. Is rush hour, but with more than 3hs from AEP to EZE is more than enough, especially if you don't have to check bags at EZE. You can do OLCI with UA and have your BP ready.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I would take the later one into AEP, then check into a hotel to drop off your duffel and backpack. Go have a great dinner somewhere and fly home the next day.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Looks like you're not cruising with Ponant, not that it might make a difference?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Looks like you're not cruising with Ponant, not that it might make a difference?
No, sailing with Quark. What happened with Ponant?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fedechat
I will take the later, the one it arrived in AEP. Is rush hour, but with more than 3hs from AEP to EZE is more than enough, especially if you don't have to check bags at EZE. You can do OLCI with UA and have your BP ready.
Did you mean the earlier one to AEP?

As GS on UA, they'll go to great lengths to help me make my connection. Only concern is if the flight from USH-AEP gets delayed...
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
I would take the later one into AEP, then check into a hotel to drop off your duffel and backpack. Go have a great dinner somewhere and fly home the next day.
Not ideal, but this may be the backup plan. If I don't make the connection, I can always go the next day!
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.