Wiki Posts
Search

No more quotas or instalment plans for overseas trips

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2021, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
No more instalment plans for overseas trips

The Argentine government has announced tonight that from midnight, there will be no more installment plans or cuotas as they say here for overseas trips for Argentine residents. No more installment plans for international trips is a major kick in the balls for the aviation industry. Interest free or low interest plans stimulates demand and they are no longer allowed.

Trips can still be financed on the card - 43% interest rate on the first 200,000 pesos - after that the Bank screws you with no vaseline.

This measure affects not only tourists but also people visiting family, people going abroad to study, and people going away for medical treatments.

There may be some effect on airline schedules over the next few months as demand will be negatively affected - the million-dollar question is by how m

Last edited by malagajohn; Nov 27, 2021 at 2:54 pm
Old Nov 27, 2021, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
(Might I suggest a slight topic change? The term "quotas" doesn't translate exactly properly into English in this context. The topic makes it seem like it refers to quotas of travelers, not "easy monthly payments." )
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Do you think this will impact the flights that were already sold? Specifically I am thinking about my own travel. LAX-MIA-EZE on AA. Overnight in Buenos Aires, then off to my final destination on a domestic FlyBondi flight. Outbound will be in mid December, inbound mid January. From what I could tell the AA flights are almost if not already sold out on the dates I'm traveling on. The lack of payment installation option combined with the rise of the new Omicron covid variant makes me a bit nervous about my trip. This trip has been postponed 2x in the last two years and I really do not want to delay visiting family anymore. But, I have work commitment and I need to be back in US by mid January.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
(Might I suggest a slight topic change? The term "quotas" doesn't translate exactly properly into English in this context. The topic makes it seem like it refers to quotas of travelers, not "easy monthly payments." )
its cuota, in spanish.
you will asked that a lot in south american countries when paying with a credit card.

very common tool for governments to control external debt. When locals incur a lot of debt in foreign currency.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ovacikar
its cuota, in spanish.
you will asked that a lot in south american countries when paying with a credit card.

very common tool for governments to control external debt. When locals incur a lot of debt in foreign currency.
I'm very familiar with the term - I just don't think it translates well as a literal translation into the thread topic.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You are right Eastbay1K - I managed to change the title of my post but not the main title of the thread. Yip , quotas is a perfect word fo the Spanglish we speak at home - Juramentos is probably worse though.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by malagajohn
You are right Eastbay1K - I managed to change the title of my post but not the main title of the thread. Yip , quotas is a perfect word fo the Spanglish we speak at home - Juramentos is probably worse though.
I was able to affect a title change by editing the first post in advanced mode. On my laptop and not on a phone or tablet.
malagajohn likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Will try a little later

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.