Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the AMAZING VALUE in Argentina now - a practical example

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post the AMAZING VALUE in Argentina now - a practical example

Cheers to all from a rainy EZE..... I wanted to share a practical example of what sort of Value for Money Buenos Aires currently offers. While it is only one data point, I think most of you will agree that is serves to exemplify the kind of 'gas mileage' visitors will be able to get out of an upcoming visit. This information is valid as per mid-October of 2020, with a USD to AR$ informal (blue market) exchange rate of AR$185 to the US Dollar.

Last Sunday was Mother's Day here in Argentina. Our two kids and I went out for Lunch with my Wife. We visited Unido, a Restaurant located just outside of Nordelta, the large Real Estate Development just North of the City. While its not a restaurant that tourists would normally visit, it shares the same target audience and its price range is in the same segment that many of the restaurants that cater to upscale Tourists - and are located in areas like Recoleta, Palermo, Puerto Madero will offer.

We had a long lunch, ordering a-la-carte. We had 5 (five) appetizers, 4 (four) main courses, and 3 (three) desserts. Beverages were one Beer (Corona), 4 house-made lemonades, 2 bottles of Bottled Water and 1 bottle of Sparking Wine (the second most expensive on the wine-list). We finished it off with 2 Nespressos.....

It was quite a lot of food... but I pigged-out and our 13 year-old has the appetite of 1.5 adult males (2 adults if I allow him to order as much as he wants). The Kid can eat !!!

The total bill was AR$11,400.- (gratuity not included)

Assuming an exchange rate of AR$185 Pesos, that comes out to $61 and change in US Dollars

Enough said. Time to plan your next trip to EZE.....
Brandinho1, happychic, nnn and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
What we need to clarify is that under no circumstances should visitors use foreign credit cards.
As far as I can see if you don't have a DNI which could allow you to open MercadoPago or a bank account, the best exchange rate (other than an "arbolito" on the street) is sending funds via WesternUnion which as of today was...1.00 USD = 170.6800 Argentine Peso (ARS) while Xoom which also has cash pickup is at 1 USD = 162.3194 ARS. Another side note, many stores don't have more than 200 USD equivalent even at mid-day so might help to call a store in advance to see if they have the funds. (Issues in Palermo/Belgrano) Planning on writing an article about it as starting in November? Neighboring countries can visit...
Old Oct 28, 2020, 2:21 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Hard to articulate how much I would love to return to BA. Had to cxl in the spring, then rebooked for early December (actually a MIA-SCL flight, then was/am planning to take Sky over to BA). But, man, it still looks grim...even if Chile and Argentina are open to US citizens, how big a hassle will it be? How many of my favorite activities in BA will be up and running? What restrictions will be in place? Hell, I'm in Maui now and it was fine mess just getting here.

I'm keenly aware what a travel bargain BA is and early December should be lovely and warm. I will keep watching this space, of course. In the meantime, I made back up plans for Costa Rica. Figure I have about three weeks before I need to decide, assuming I have options. Fingers crossed.
happychic likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Once the borders open up to US tourists, everything will be Open for Business.... restaurants and bars are already open and doing business - yes there are capacity controls and different protocols but you will have plenty of places to go, shopping and all the other usual activities.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfkeze
What we need to clarify is that under no circumstances should visitors use foreign credit cards.
As far as I can see if you don't have a DNI which could allow you to open MercadoPago or a bank account, the best exchange rate (other than an "arbolito" on the street) is sending funds via WesternUnion which as of today was...1.00 USD = 170.6800 Argentine Peso (ARS) while Xoom which also has cash pickup is at 1 USD = 162.3194 ARS. Another side note, many stores don't have more than 200 USD equivalent even at mid-day so might help to call a store in advance to see if they have the funds. (Issues in Palermo/Belgrano) Planning on writing an article about it as starting in November? Neighboring countries can visit...
Indeed.... keep that credit card for minimal use only. Cash is still King but the above options are also good..... for Cash, remember to have nice new Benjamin Franklins of one of the latest releases (no small head bills please). And avoid ATM Twenties as those are not popular with money changers and may be subject to markdowns..... merchants will usually take $20ies, though.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Thank you for the update. I too cannot wait to return to Argentina. I was hoping to spend this holiday season in Buenos Aires and Patagonia, I will have to wait. Stay safe.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Is opening up the country to US citizens based on getting the vaccine distributed to the population, whenever that may be ?
Old Nov 3, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: UA, WN, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Once the borders open up to US tourists, everything will be Open for Business.... restaurants and bars are already open and doing business - yes there are capacity controls and different protocols but you will have plenty of places to go, shopping and all the other usual activities.
Looking forward to the reopening of borders, but for those of us who don't do much shopping (other than for Malbec) Argentina is still a question mark. I'll be interested in attending futbol matches, live theater, and other things that are still limited or shut down. The hotels I have checked seem to have greatly reduced service now (breakfast, lounges, swimming pools, etc.) so that's part of the value equation.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I think there will be a lot of bargains in the world, as travel opens up again. I’m staying in a very nice 4 star hotel in Jakarta, upgraded to a very nice suite. Restaurant with lots of food for breakfast, in person or room service, afternoon tea, evening cocktails with three pretty large plates of food items. Only $45 plus tax/service for my entire family, a day.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 2:22 pm

Hola Gaucho, thanks for the update. Would love to come down. In fact have tickets to SCL for Dec 9th for the eclipse. As of yet, nether of the Southern Cone countries are open. Any word on inter-province travel?
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:50 pm

TransferWise on my last exchange which was sent November 5th ( 125.00 USD ) She received 9,276.96 ARS which was 78.9730 per 1usd. I always used Western Union and knew it was higher but did not realize that I could have gotten a lot more at the time. Now I know to just get up and go to send instead of using the transferwise app.

Thanks,
EWR2EZE
Old Nov 19, 2020, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do remember with the inflation rate riding high as per usual prices don't stand still.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Do remember with the inflation rate riding high as per usual prices don't stand still.
So, out of practical curiosity, what would be the AMAZING VALUE hospital bill should one find himself uninsured in an ICU for a week at a decent private hospital in Buenos Aires?

No, this isn't a joke. It is a practical consideration for anyone considering travel.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
So, out of practical curiosity, what would be the AMAZING VALUE hospital bill should one find himself uninsured in an ICU for a week at a decent private hospital in Buenos Aires?

No, this isn't a joke. It is a practical consideration for anyone considering travel.
Yes the cost of all goods/services here just don't stand still when the dollar is stronger than usual. Hence why I find these threads a tad missleading.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Global Entry
JC, the real bargain in Indonesia was in 1997

I rented a big SUV for $6/day and filled it up with 6c/liter gasoline. I was there shortly after the Indonesian Rupiah had declined from Rp 2000 to Rp 15000 to 1USD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.