Wiki Posts
Search

Travelers to Argentina to face mandatory 14 day quarantine

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Travelers to Argentina to face mandatory 14 day quarantine

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/sociedad...ena-nid2342069

This may affect frequency of flights on AA to EZE.

La Nacion, 11 March 2020

Coronavirus: Alberto Fernández said the quarantine for those coming from countries of risk will be mandatory.

Argentines coming from a country of risk will be required to quarantine themselves at home for fourteen days. This is not voluntary or a recommendation. Those who do not comply are committing a crime, putting the public health at risk...

Borders with Italy will be shut, the treaty on travel will be suspended.

The countries of risk are:
  • China
  • South Korea
  • Japan
  • Iran
  • Italy
  • Spain
  • France
  • Germany
  • The USA

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 11, 2020 at 9:19 pm Reason: Add information to comply with FlyerTalk Rules
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Carberry

English plz?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Carberry

For those who don't know Spanish, does this apply to everyone entering Argentina, regardless of citizenship/residence and regardless of the countries/regions that were visited?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For those who don't know Spanish, does this apply to everyone entering Argentina, regardless of citizenship/residence and regardless of the countries/regions that were visited?
It does not state about citizenships but it does say travelers coming from the below countries:

Cuáles son los países de riesgo
  • China
  • Corea del Sur
  • Japón
  • Irán
  • Italia
  • Espańa
  • Francia
  • Alemania
  • Estados Unidos
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I am scheduled to fly into MDZ from the USA on 3/28 for 3 nights - then going on to Santiago by bus. Is my birthday week trip ruined? I can't tell if this quarantine is for the next 14 days (ending 3/25) or is into perpetuity.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
We ended a 9 day cruise on Feb 28 (MSC Musica with an overnight in Rio Feb 24-25). Considering the packed in crowd at EZE immigration on Feb 18, I can imagine how easy it would be to pick up a virus in that place.
It took 2 1/2 hours to reach the immigration desk... Not really fun after a 9 hour flight from MIA. Of course, the flight number was no longer on the board for finding out where luggage was...........
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:39 pm

Thanks for posting OP. My brother was leading a 2 week trip for his high school rugby team to Argentina departing tomorrow. Thanks to this (and simply doing our own subsequent research including very easily translating into English), he was able to make an informed decision to cancel given the risks at hand.

Again, much appreciated.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:40 pm

AFAIK nothing has yet formally and officially published. The exact details are still not known and uncertain.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA : EXP / AR : ORO
[...] Starting tomorrow, Argentinean Government will put in place a new protocole for entering the country for tourists from countries where the disease is already circulating. Those with intention to travel to Argentina will be required a health visa and will have to go into a 14-day quarantine. [...]

This has been posted around 8.00pmEST in La Nacion, and is a development to the original post.
(original in Spanish : https://www.lanacion.com.ar/politica...ena-nid2342089)
More information will follow later.
It seems getting into Argentina got complicated for both, locals and tourists.
I was scheduled to leave EZE in 2 days to go into the US and Central America, but canceled the whole week as things started to look worse.
Glad I did it.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
English plz?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The headline implies everyone arriving from a country of risk. Argentines are mentioned in terms of their being required to quarantine at home, and failure to do so will be a crime.

Originally Posted by jlb3
I am scheduled to fly into MDZ from the USA on 3/28 for 3 nights - then going on to Santiago by bus. Is my birthday week trip ruined? I can't tell if this quarantine is for the next 14 days (ending 3/25) or is into perpetuity.
Probably. There’s no end date published. When the actual regulation is promulgated, we will know more.

Originally Posted by lostfly
AFAIK nothing has yet formally and officially published. The exact details are still not known and uncertain.
That is correct.

The usual guidance the airlines refer to is IATA TIMATIC web, which you can access courtesy of United Airlines at https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC. This will undoubtedly be updated as IATA receives official information from Argentina.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please be very careful about posting misinformation or mistranslation. When posting external links, include sufficient information about the subject the post can stand on its own.

Please refrain from bashing other members. If there’s a problem with a post, please notify the moderators. If you have an issue with a poster, please reply civilly and focus on the post content, not the poster.

As this is actually about Argentina and not a particular airline, we will move this to the Argentina forum, leaving a durable link to follow from the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.

Thank you, Moderator
argonath likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 11, 2020 at 9:46 pm
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Not sure about this new restriction:
Borders with Italy will be shut, the treaty on travel will be suspended.
What a nuisance! It used to be so easy to cross the Italy-Argentina border!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm curious to see if anyone has any more information on how this will affect leisure travelers? I have tickets MIA to EZE for this Monday the 16th coming back on Thuesday the 19th. I'm pretty sure I'm not going but wondering what my options are for cancelling or getting refunded through my insurance company for hotel and airfare.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Exclamation

I'm flying from the US via MEX to EZE, and I'm supposed to leave this upcoming weekend. At this point, according to Reuters, no visas will be issued for for people coming from the US and other countries (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN20Z23G).

What recourse do we have if a government literally and legally won't permit entry? I know most travel insurance doesn't cover a disinclination to travel due to epidemic or pandemic; however, in this case, I physically am being barred from entry. Thoughts?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

I heard from an informed source that flights to / from “countries of risk” will be suspended for 30 days. This would include USA and Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.