FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Currency Controls (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/2002625-currency-controls.html)

spainflyer Jul 22, 2022 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 34445344)
Not to be too obvious, but any FT post would be out of date almost as soon as it is posted.

Yes, of course. But I'm looking for an approximation, not a sealed bid. Say if an FTer on the ground in Bs As had dinner on Friday the 22nd of July. Posted on Saturday the 23rd, we could coordinate that with the exchange rate on the day, even if it involved "regression analysis." And BTW, how do restaurants announce their their price changes? Just insert a notice in the menu that the printed prices will be increased by XX%? Or do all electronic updates with QR codes instead of menus?

spainflyer Jul 22, 2022 4:49 am

Tourist dollar: how the new exchange rate and the ruse of the Government would work to avoid a bad drink - THE NATION

I do like Apple Translate's version of "evitar un mal trago" (at least that's what I guess it said) = "avoid a bad drink." But only an Argentine, weaned on "the Bicycle" and "the Reverse Bicycle" could wrap his/her mind around this Rube Goldberg financial contraption. Imagine visiting London or Paris and being told that you had to open a bank account to change money, and that the bank is not really changing the money, but investing it (coerced) in government securities to prop up another exchange rate that no one wants to use... Pure genius.

Eastbay1K Jul 22, 2022 1:25 pm

This Ambito headline could have anyone's head spinning for those not familiar with "The Exchange Rate In Argentina."

Mirá a cuánto opera el dólar, dólar blue, dólar ahorro, el dólar turista, dólar MEP, dólar CCL y dólar cripto en la Argentina. Conocé además el precio de la moneda estadounidense en el Banco Nación.

malagajohn Jul 22, 2022 2:23 pm

The Blue with a spread of 328-338

CCL closed at 326,47

A few moments ago WU was offering 322

Gaucho100K Jul 24, 2022 9:40 pm

If only some genius would realize you can offer a special rate for visitors and just allow them to use their credit cards to fund a virtual account......... (rolleyes)

Gaucho100K Jul 24, 2022 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 34387262)
Been a big hike in prices in everyday goods the last couple of weeks. The worst I've ever seen it.

and this trend is likely to accelerate, given the bozos in power seem to enjoy pouring jet fuel onto the fire...... viva Peron !!!!!

GUWonder Jul 26, 2022 2:56 am

Argentina and its crazy monetary policies.

Never let it be said that Argentine currency policy escapes the cycle of history repeating itself. :eek:

Gaucho100K Jul 26, 2022 8:18 am

Actually, its more a complete lack/disregard/misunderstanding of very basic economics & monetary policy of those in Power. When you have a Central Bank that is 100% NOt independent and is actually 200% aligned with the Executive Power which entails constant printing of money to finance endless black-hole fiscal deficits........ what can you expect...???

Eastbay1K Jul 26, 2022 10:13 am

Originally Posted by spainflyer (Post 34447644)
Yes, of course. But I'm looking for an approximation, not a sealed bid. Say if an FTer on the ground in Bs As had dinner on Friday the 22nd of July. Posted on Saturday the 23rd, we could coordinate that with the exchange rate on the day, even if it involved "regression analysis." And BTW, how do restaurants announce their their price changes? Just insert a notice in the menu that the printed prices will be increased by XX%? Or do all electronic updates with QR codes instead of menus?

I'd expect that most places are handwriting prices on printed menus with the price space blank (or if laminated, in some sort of erasable ink). I'll let you know in about a month ;)

This is nothing compared to the hyperinflation of years' past. While I wasn't in Argentina during that time, I was in Brazil, and the currency was devaluing about 1000 Cruzeiros a day. Stores had computer printouts (from the dot matrix!) at the registers for the price du jour.

As a practical matter you just have to "go with it." Some days will be more costly (but not expensive) in US$ terms, other days will be cheaper. It just depends if you hit that sweet spot when the inflation hasn't kept up with the currency exchange. The Blue has regressed a bit the past couple of days, so if you bought your pesos 3 days ago, dinner might be 5% cheaper today than if you buy your pesos today, well, unless the resto raised its prices 10% today, which means it will be 10% more if you bought your pesos today, but only 5% more if you bought your pesos 2 days ago. Your head could explode if you overthink this.

All I can say is that less than two months ago, dining out seemed quite inexpensive, and I expect they still will seem that way in US$ terms in a month. Whether the nice dinner for 2 with 2 bottles of good wine will cost $90 or $70, as opposed to the $80 spent last time, who knows. It will still cost just about what one of those bottles of wine in a restaurant, plus tax and tip, would have cost back home.

malagajohn Jul 26, 2022 2:26 pm

Many restaurants are still using the QR menus that became popular during the pandemic. You scan the code and you get the menu on your phone.

Here is one from Morelia, a mid-market pizzería in Caballito. Prices from last weekend.

https://menu.maxirest.com/14972

malagajohn Jul 26, 2022 2:38 pm

We are also fans of Sagardi , the Basque tapas bar in San Telmo.

The waiters bring round a series of hot and cold tapas. You get charged by the number of used 'palitos' on your plate when you end the evening. Each palito is 350pesos. Its been around a dollar as long as we can remember.
Wine is fairly priced. Salentein Reserva was 2700 pesos per bottle. Draught beer was 600 for a large glass , close to a pint.

Eastbay1K Jul 26, 2022 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 34460784)
We are also fans of Sagardi , the Basque tapas bar in San Telmo.

The waiters bring round a series of hot and cold tapas. You get charged by the number of used 'palitos' on your plate when you end the evening. Each palito is 350pesos. Its been around a dollar as long as we can remember.
Wine is fairly priced. Salentein Reserva was 2700 pesos per bottle. Draught beer was 600 for a large glass , close to a pint.

Glad to hear they've survived. I've not been since pre-COVID, but fortunately it is almost tripping distance (on those smooth smooth sidewalks :eek: ) from my place!

spainflyer Jul 27, 2022 2:00 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 34460736)
Here is one from Morelia, a mid-market pizzería in Caballito. Prices from last weekend.
https://menu.maxirest.com/14972

Thanks, MálagaJohn. That is the sort of thing I was looking for. Everything seems reasonably priced but the wines are a real bargain, even by Spanish standards, much less the US. I note that the most expensive Malbec is under 9 USD / EUR for a bottle. At your table. And the most expensive wine by far is the Catena Cabernet Franc at about 37 USD / EUR. Gaucho100K, what have I missed here? A Cab Franc at about 3 times the price of the next most expensive wine? I do note that on Vinómanos Gran Enemigo is the #1 rated Cab Franc for Argentina. Are Argentine Cab Francs the "next, next thing" from the Southern Cone?

malagajohn Jul 29, 2022 3:55 pm

A crazy couple of days in the financial markets. The financial minister appointed just 25 days ago was asked to resign. It looks like Sergio Massa will be appointed in her place. He is a lawyer with good political experience but as far as I can see he has no macroeconomic education whatsoever - My 11-year-old son probably understands more than him.

But the markets liked the rumors.

The blue is down to a spread of 286 - 296 , with WU offering 296 per dollar tonight. Where will it go next week? Let me talk to my son and see what he says....

malagajohn Jul 29, 2022 4:04 pm

Not sure this is the right place but here is another menu.

Unido Día en QueResto.com - Tu carta digital

Unido is an Upmarket restaurant in Nordelta , a gated community just to the north of the big smoke - they also have a branch in Puertos , a gated community in Escobar . As far as I know non residents can get access to both restaurants. But to be honest unless i was close by , I wouldnt rush. the main reason for posting was to give non Arg residents an idea of current pricing.

The food in Unido was a mix of Peruvian and Argentine styles. . My wife loves it - i find it just ordinary.

8,000 for the two of us - i had a beer and a glass of wine , the boss had two Aperols.

Trip Advisor has mixed reviews.

We had good service but my white fish quinoa risotto was just ordinary. Pleasant surroundings , lots of beautiful people around but I prefer a bife de chorizo in a good parrilla.