FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Currency Controls (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/2002625-currency-controls.html)

hkgg Dec 14, 2022 11:09 am

[deleted post]

stan1162 Dec 25, 2022 12:32 pm

Up and running

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 34808888)
La Nacion is reporting that Mastercard is up and running.

But their international support page is still reporting the old rate.

As Eastbay1K says, look for something of a low monetary value to test it.

We are back in Buenos Aires, and yes credit card(s) we are using are using the Blue rate!

kennycrudup Dec 25, 2022 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by stan1162 (Post 34863333)
We are back in Buenos Aires, and yes credit card(s) we are using are using the Blue rate!

... and I've been getting refunds for previous MC charges made at the Bank Rate. I only used my MC on the last day after I'd exhausted all my ARD, so it wasn't a lot of $$, but glad to see the new rate is in effect!

mahasamatman Dec 28, 2022 3:53 pm

We have a hotel booked for March at a rate of 165 USD. How will this get charged if we use a credit card? Will they convert to ARS at the official rate, followed by MC/Visa converting to USD at the MEP rate (and thus reaping the benefit of the two exchange rates)? Or will the first conversion use the MEP rate (thus providing no benefit)?

stan1162 Dec 29, 2022 4:58 am

Will let you know...

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 34872256)
We have a hotel booked for March at a rate of 165 USD. How will this get charged if we use a credit card? Will they convert to ARS at the official rate, followed by MC/Visa converting to USD at the MEP rate (and thus reaping the benefit of the two exchange rates)? Or will the first conversion use the MEP rate (thus providing no benefit)?

We are leaving Buenos Aires mid-January and heading to Patagonia. I have booked all of my lodging. We will be using our CC's ( at least for the first one) to see how it goes. We have multiple lodgings reserved, as well as a very pricey stay at an estancia, that would have to be paid in duffle bags full of Pesos if we couldn't use our CC and get the new MEP rate.

Will let you know.... We are hoping that when we check out, we get the option of in ARS vs USD, and then the magical conversion to the new MEP rate happens.

When we were in Mar del Plata, the little independent inn we stayed at, the front desk asked us if we want to pay in USD or ARS. And when we went to Iguazu, we brought a ton of peso's and they ( the Melia) let us settle the bill in Pesos.

( only Visa and MC ) no Amex, but I suspect most people know this?

trolleymusic Dec 30, 2022 3:05 pm

Just bought lunch with a UK Mastercard to test it out, it's posted as pending at the official rate 12,770.00 ARS = 60.04 GBP or about ~212 pesos to the pound.

Will keep an eye on it and see if there's any change when it changes from pending, or if there's any kind of credit that happens after. I'm also going to ask NatWest what they can tell me about it.

Going to keep using cash as we usually do in the meantime.

malagajohn Dec 30, 2022 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by trolleymusic (Post 34877878)
Just bought lunch with a UK card to test it out, it's posted as pending at the official rate 12,770.00 ARS = 60.04 GBP or about ~212 pesos to the pound.

Will keep an eye on it and see if there's any change when it changes from pending, or if there's any kind of credit that happens after. I'm also going to ask NatWest what they can tell me about it.

Going to keep using cash as we usually do in the meantime.

Did you use Visa or Mastercard?

trolleymusic Dec 30, 2022 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 34877910)
Did you use Visa or Mastercard?

Mastercard.

malagajohn Dec 31, 2022 6:31 am

Originally Posted by trolleymusic (Post 34878336)
Mastercard.

According to a friend Mastercard issues a refund a few days after the transaction.

the same friend says that Visa applies a rate close to the MEP rate when the transaction is processed..

I will be using cash meanwhile.

bobbybrown Dec 31, 2022 7:34 pm

I can confirm that Mastercard (AA Citi) refunds few days later to reflect a rate closer to (but still worse than) MEP. Blue rate last week was somewhere 335-345 but even after the partial refund, the rate came out to be 311. Therefore cash is better. I used credit card only because recoleta cemetery didn’t accept cash. But with some 10% loss, I wish I bought timed tickets online using credit card instead of waiting in line (to use cash) only to realize it’s sold out.

I used western Union but the line for withdrawing was long last week (30 minutes) and they only had 1000 peso bills. I would exchange cash on the street which is surprisingly painless and kind of fun.

mahasamatman Dec 31, 2022 7:42 pm

I would still expect the credit card to come out better for hotels because you save the 21% VAT that you have to pay with cash.

Eastbay1K Jan 1, 2023 1:51 pm

Visa has an ad in the EZE Baggage Claim area that you receive a "tourist dollar" rate. I didn't get a good look nor take a pic, as the bags were already out when I got to the carousel and it was time to zoom out.

SAPMAN Jan 1, 2023 9:59 pm

Hope others in the forum will post exeriences as to what conversion from Cr. Card (Visa or M/C) actually ended up with. I think this was to go into effect Dec 2022. Even if close to the Blue Rate (within 10%), still makes it pretty good and less hassle.

Thanks all. I am going to B.A. in 3 weeks.

trolleymusic Jan 4, 2023 5:39 am

Originally Posted by trolleymusic (Post 34877878)
Just bought lunch with a UK Mastercard to test it out, it's posted as pending at the official rate 12,770.00 ARS = 60.04 GBP or about ~212 pesos to the pound.

Transaction ended up posting on 02 Jan GBP 60.15 (212 ARS/GBP), on 03 Jan credit received in USD as GBP 25.61.

So GBP total is 34.54 (60.15-25.61), which gives a rate of 369 ARS/GBP, which is ~87% of today's blue rate of 424 ARS/GBP.

seattleBH Jan 4, 2023 6:10 am

I have been here in BA for the past three days and have some early data points. I have been using my Visa (so far accepted everywhere I have tried). Rates have been working out to just about 90% of the blue USD rate. Jan 2 the Visa rate was 310 ARS/USD. 4 Jan the rate is calculating at 313 ARS/USD. I will post an update in a few days after I gather more data.