USD/ARS Exchange hits new record high!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USD/ARS Exchange hits new record high!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 10:42 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Agree 100% with Eastbay1K. I have edited above posts.

Puchong, feel free to ask travel related questions and we will all be happy to help you. If you are budget minded, Argentina offers TONS of inexpensive travel goods and services.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
an easy to understand review of what happened last week with the epso and the dollar

... Just Happened to Argentina?s Peso? | The Bubble | Argentina News
Old May 7, 2018, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by malagajohn
an easy to understand review of what happened last week with the epso and the dollar

... Just Happened to Argentina?s Peso? The Bubble Argentina News
Thanks for posting! I had read the article earlier this morning (on my weekly bubble update) Yes, very concise and easy to understand point of view as to why the peso is reacting to the dollar the way it currently is.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
:
I blame the British for all of this,
Well you can't blame my great great uncle. According to my late grandmother he came here to help build the railways and left them in excellent condition.
Marambio and malagajohn like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Interesting Read

Here is another interesting read from Market Watch:

http://www.marketwatch.com/Story/arg...of2&yptr=yahoo

Several thoughts discussed
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The exchange rate is now about 30 Argentine peso to one USD.

Is there anything a visitor needs to know about the current situation? Are credit cards still accepted and are there still the official exchange places for cash? I assume that the blue rates haven't returned, or have they?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
What is the definition of "most" people....? And since when does a majority opinion equate to being right about something....???

In Economics, there is no such thing as magic. The Populist Kirchner Regime gave away approx 12% of GNP per year on subsidies that killed proper energy consumption habits and gave many people the illusion that they suddenly had money in their pockets for things they could not afford. After 12 years of this nonsense, it has come time to PAY THE BILLS. 1 + 1 is 2, its not 2.1 and its not 2.5, its 2... this is math, its quite simple.

Armchair comments are very easy and amusing, but they almost never make much sense. The Fed has started to raise interest rates and that is a very strong external component that is a very relevant part of the Peso's current movements. This situation is of course compounded by the fact that Argentina (sadly) doesnt have much of a Currency, and even lower classes here know that they are not to save in Pesos.... and this is also another factor that adds pressure to the overall situation.

Hiddy hits the spot.... mentality has to change but that takes generations, and is a slow and many times (painful) process. In the end, I blame the British for all of this, but that is part of a bigger theory of mine that involves deep knowledge of Argentine History so I will leave this at that for now......
Argentines can feel fortunate that although the peso is not "much of a Currency", at least the situation hasn't deteriorated like in Maduro's Venezuela! One can speculate about what might have happened had Cristina and her cronies stayed in power, but the institutions of the government of Argentina proved strong enough to prevent this from happening.

You might look to Perú as an example of a Latin American country that has done well in the last twenty years to restore faith in the local currency. After two rounds of hyperinflation in the 1980s, the government of Alberto Fujimori stablized the currency (the Nuevo Sol) and subsequent governments, corrupt and feckless as they may have been, have more or less stuck with the plan. The Nuevo Sol is fully convertible, currency controls are a thing of the past and the exchange rate vis a vis the US dollar, Euro, etc., is stable enough in the long term that Peruvians, rich and poor alike, don't need to worry about rushing to the bank to buy dollars the same day they receive their paycheque in local currency.

I wonder why this has not yet happened in Argentina? Perhaps because there hasn't been the right sort of leadership in the Casa Rosada, but I suspect the real reason is more deeply cultural, as Gaucho100K notes.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Is there anything a visitor needs to know about the current situation? Are credit cards still accepted and are there still the official exchange places for cash? I assume that the blue rates haven't returned, or have they?
The current spread is 100 basis points 29.78 on the buy side and 30.78 on the sell side

Best publication for rates is Ambito.com

www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/

Current retail prices haven't caught up as much as the deflation of the peso so for US dollar buyers this presents fantastic buying opportunities. The Argentines are very aggressive for dollars right now..

My wholesale Wine suppliers are cutting the best deals (unsolicited) that I've seen in the last 10 years

Last edited by Flying Machine; Aug 23, 2018 at 12:01 pm
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
We spent a week skiing in Argentina in July and managed to get by almost exclusively with European credit cards. The only two times we couldn't use our credit cards were to get tickets to visit the arrayanes forest and to park our car in the skiing resort. Everything else we paid with credit cards.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Agree !!

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
Argentines can feel fortunate that although the peso is not "much of a Currency", at least the situation hasn't deteriorated like in Maduro's Venezuela! One can speculate about what might have happened had Cristina and her cronies stayed in power, but the institutions of the government of Argentina proved strong enough to prevent this from happening.

You might look to Perú as an example of a Latin American country that has done well in the last twenty years to restore faith in the local currency. After two rounds of hyperinflation in the 1980s, the government of Alberto Fujimori stablized the currency (the Nuevo Sol) and subsequent governments, corrupt and feckless as they may have been, have more or less stuck with the plan. The Nuevo Sol is fully convertible, currency controls are a thing of the past and the exchange rate vis a vis the US dollar, Euro, etc., is stable enough in the long term that Peruvians, rich and poor alike, don't need to worry about rushing to the bank to buy dollars the same day they receive their paycheque in local currency.

I wonder why this has not yet happened in Argentina? Perhaps because there hasn't been the right sort of leadership in the Casa Rosada, but I suspect the real reason is more deeply cultural, as Gaucho100K notes.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:08 pm

Nothing to worry about... the Peso is now a normal floating currency, there are no restrictions to buy or sell hard currency. There is still a Black Market to trade currency, but the spreads vs. the official market is now marginal for most visitors. Unless you are trading very large sums and/or want to count every penny... I wouldnt bother. Credit cards are widely accepted. Getting Pesos out of an ATM is also an option, but it may be best to bring USD Cash and exchange at the Banco Nacion at EZE.

Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:09 pm

Just to clarify..... credit cards are credit cards, no merchant here will make a difference based on where the Card is issued.... as long as its Visa, MC or AmEx you are good to go.

Originally Posted by ticino
We spent a week skiing in Argentina in July and managed to get by almost exclusively with European credit cards. The only two times we couldn't use our credit cards were to get tickets to visit the arrayanes forest and to park our car in the skiing resort. Everything else we paid with credit cards.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
Just to clarify..... credit cards are credit cards, no merchant here will make a difference based on where the Card is issued.... as long as its Visa, MC or AmEx you are good to go.
True, but ATMs sometimes do. We couldn't use our European cards (we tried both debit/credit and tied to two different currencies/banks/countries) to get pesos, but Uruguayan credit cards worked fine so it wasn't that the ATMs were out of money.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:57 am
Original Poster

I guess with inflation just about at 20%, the peso devaluating approximately 40% this year and current interest-rate's at 45% creates unpredictability going forward. The Turkish lira is also impacting emerging currency's. So stay tuned for more instabilities..

How are people on the ground in Buenos Aires interpreting all this?

Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:49 am

Yes, ATMs are more "picky" and can sometimes be prone to issues, depending on the issuing country and Bank. My comment was about usage at merchants for payment of goods and services. Good point on the ATM's - and also remember the issue with fees and maximum withdrawl limits per transaction. Fees with ATMs can be killers.....

Originally Posted by ticino
True, but ATMs sometimes do. We couldn't use our European cards (we tried both debit/credit and tied to two different currencies/banks/countries) to get pesos, but Uruguayan credit cards worked fine so it wasn't that the ATMs were out of money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.