Wiki Posts
Search

Flights between BA and Mendoza

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat
Flights between BA and Mendoza

Hi all - longtime reader, first time poster!

Will be flying between Buenos Aires and Mendoza in early December. Having read this board going a ways back, it seems that both LATAM and AR have mixed feedback.

Any thoughts/red flags/things I haven't considered with my initial plan?

AEP to MDZ - Dec 2 - LATAM 7644, 9:10 - 11:05am
We have no plans in Mendoza upon arrival other than checking into the hotel, so not too anxious about this one

MDZ to EZE - Dec 7 - AR 2423, 3:30 - 5:05pm
We will be flying back to the US that same evening, on UA 978 that departs to IAH at 9pm. Will ~4 hours should be enough given we will be flying into EZE not AEP? The other options would get us in by late morning, which seems too early... but of course, don't want to risk missing the flight back to the US! What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
-Jennifer
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
The return flight sounds very reasonable. I would try to get an AR flight on the way to Mendoza - both ways are usually cheaper than single tickets. Other than that, your itinerary is good.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Bonus of the AR flight is it gets you into EZE thus avoiding the transfer from AEP. ^

However if the connecting UA flight is on a separate ticket you're taking a hell of a risk. I'd prefer to head back to Baires the evening before just to be on the safe side.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ordaxa
Will ~4 hours should be enough given we will be flying into EZE not AEP? The other options would get us in by late morning, which seems too early... but of course, don't want to risk missing the flight back to the US! What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
-Jennifer
Four hours is plenty of time if you are on time. I'd expect the UA counter to open at T-3 hours, and there will already be quite a line. If you aren't in a premium cabin or otherwise have status for a special line, plan on an hour for check in/bag drop. Then plan an hour for exit migration and security. It could take 30 minutes. It could take a lot more.

On separate tickets, I wouldn't risk it. You probably have 90% odds of comfortably making the flight. But can you afford the 10%? Maybe you can.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Welcome to FT ordaxa..OP is UA Platinum if something goes wrong on the MDZ-EZE leg you could do SDC to another's flight (space pending) EWR and IAH are options now
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat
Thank you all for your replies!

It will be a separate ticket and I'm pretty risk averse, so I think the new plan will be to take one of the morning flights into AEP and then make a stop in the city for lunch and a last stroll around, before heading to EZE. (Though I had forgotten about the SDC possibility, which is good to remember!)
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will UA let you SDC an international long haul segment? DL won't even for top tier elites, although DL will informally protect you on separate PNRs/tickets.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Will UA let you SDC an international long haul segment? DL won't even for top tier elites, although DL will informally protect you on separate PNRs/tickets.
Yes, UA permits SDC on international long call. I do it all the time, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it as an alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.