Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for updated ATM advice in Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by abeyro
Someone once posted that ALL ATMs in Argentina chargé a fee for cash withdrawal. I know Schwab will reimburse this fee but.. I don't have a Schwab card.

So can anyone confirm that virtually all ATMs chargé a fee?
And how is the fee calculated: by percantage or one flat per transaction?
Every ATM I have ever used here charges a fee to foreign debit cards. It looks like it is based on a $6 USD fee value as the peso amount fluctuates. This is just my theory, but this helps gauge what rate the ATM is kicking out.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by RobertWill
Every ATM I have ever used here charges a fee to foreign debit cards. It looks like it is based on a $6 USD fee value as the peso amount fluctuates. This is just my theory, but this helps gauge what rate the ATM is kicking out.
Yes, the $6 USD Fee seems to be somewhat static and is adjusted by the ARS/USD exchange rate. In any effect it normally $6.00 My bank refunds all fees so I don't watch it that closely other than if the fee was reversed..
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:31 am

A $6 fee per each withrawal of $140 (ARS 2500)...ehh = $50 fee for exchanging $1000.
Funny thing, blue cambieros at calle Florida still seem to be the best option.
Funny and sad :-(
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Recent ATM Experience

Just back from my trip to Argentina, and used my Fidelity debit card at three ATMS. Here are the fees charged and reimbursed (in USD):

EZE ATM: $63.05 withdrawal, $10.16 reimbursed (fee of 16.06%)
BA (Park Hyatt ATM): $117.44 withdrawal, $9.98 reimbursed (fee of 8.5% )

It appears that there was a 200 ARS charge for each of the withdrawals.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Not 100% related to ATMs, but I'm posting this because it caught me completely off-guard and I am local.

There are new ARS coins in circulation. The new 1 peso coin is in copper color (like the US penny) and features a jacaranda tree. It will coexist with the old one. The new 5 pesos coin is in silver color and features an arrayán (Chilean myrtle). It will coexist with the 5 peso note.

Throughout 2018 the new 2 and 10 pesos coins will enter circulation, also coexisting with the 2 and 10 pesos notes. Those will feature a palo borracho (silk floss tree) and a caldén (no translation, the quintessential Pampa tree), respectively.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:30 pm

And to think that once it was meant to be a peso fuerte 1USD=1ARS
Now 1 peso is like a 1 pence coin
1 USD = 20 pesos
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Just back from Argentina last month, found ATM fees varied from around 120 ARS at Banco Nacional (consistent throughout the country) to as much as 220 ARS at Banco Tierra del Fuego (in Ushuaia). Limit of 3000 ARS for the national bank and 2500 for all others. As always, find a good exchange counter and use it!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:06 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Just back from Argentina last month, found ATM fees varied from around 120 ARS at Banco Nacional (consistent throughout the country) to as much as 220 ARS at Banco Tierra del Fuego (in Ushuaia). Limit of 3000 ARS for the national bank and 2500 for all others. As always, find a good exchange counter and use it!
Just got back last nite . . . .

I, too, found Banco Nacional to be the best, although, I only really tried about 4. The fee was either 120 ARS or 123. I started my withdrawal attempts at 4000, and worked my way down til it worked. The most I could get at the airport was 3000, but, I managed to get 3700 about 3 times at other machines in the city!

Good luck, and ENJOY!
Old May 11, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
FWIW, am in BA now and can report that HSBC at EZE airport is up to 231 pesos now (about $10.18), which is outrageous but you are not spoilt for choice there. ARS 3500 was max I could get. Will try Banco Nacional intown.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by RustyC
FWIW, am in BA now and can report that HSBC at EZE airport is up to 231 pesos now (about $10.18), which is outrageous but you are not spoilt for choice there. ARS 3500 was max I could get. Will try Banco Nacional intown.
Based on recent reports, it looks like they are trying to keep the fee to about $10 US.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by 747FC
Based on recent reports, it looks like they are trying to keep the fee to about $10 US.
Which is pretty darn high when you can easily exchange or pay directly with USD cash at the same rate as the ATM and no additional fees.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
The amount of the ATM fee depends on which network, either LINK or Banelco, that a bank ATMs are on.
Banelco ATMs charge ~U$D10 per transaction, whereas LINK ATMs charge ~U$D6 per transaction.
Using a US Schwab card, (my daily limit is set at U$D1000) I've been able to do two successive $3600 (pesos) transactions on each network per day ($14,400 total). The limitation of how much you can withdraw is determined by the Argentine network.
In Capital Federal, the two majors banks using the LINK network are Banco Nacion, and Banco Ciudad.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Got out to Banco de La Nacion and it was ARS 142 at first and ARS 151 a couple of days later. As of about a week ago.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Which is pretty darn high when you can easily exchange or pay directly with USD cash at the same rate as the ATM and no additional fees.
I did OK in a case or two paying with market vendors directly in dollars. Got one to do a purchase of around $24 as $20 + pesos. Some places like Bar Britanico, OTOH, will accept dollars but at unfavorable rates.

I tried not to have many pesos on exiting but was able to unload a few in Chile, where they were changing at 20 CLP at the airport and 23 intown in Santiago.

And of course I used the credit card whenever I could, though at budget level it's often not an option.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by RustyC

I tried not to have many pesos on exiting but was able to unload a few in Chile, where they were changing at 20 CLP at the airport and 23 intown in Santiago.
This, alone, is a sign that while things may be "not great," they aren't in crisis mode. Once upon a time, while trying to unload AR$ in Chile, the response was a laugh ... yes, at a nice hotel that would take most any currency and sell you CL$ at an unfavo(u)rable rate. Even the LAN Duty Free magazine back then, which said it accepted AR$, had a different in-flight reality, where they were refused.
Marambio and HIDDY like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.