Looking for updated ATM advice in Argentina

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for updated ATM advice in Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
At BBVA Frances on Scalabrini Ortiz, just south of Av Santa Fe, I was only able to get out 2x $2000
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by adrouault
At BBVA Frances on Scalabrini Ortiz, just south of Av Santa Fe, I was only able to get out 2x $2000
On the screen where you select the amount you want, there is an option for "other amount". Input $2300 ...
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Reporting back after a most enjoyable week in Buenos Aires. Indeed was able to retrieve $2300 at the HSBC ATM at AEP. The Real/Peso rate offered at the BNA counter was terrible.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
On the screen where you select the amount you want, there is an option for "other amount". Input $2300 ...
And if there aren't any $100s in the caja, it will tell you to select another amount.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:55 am

Last year I used Citi's ATMs (no fee for Citi cardholders)
Now with Citi gone out of Argentina, I'll need to use other banks' ATMs.
Do all banks charge a fee of 200 pesos or something for each withdrawal?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Limited experience but yes all banks seem to charge the fee, it was 105 pesos per withdrawal.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I know they are used less these days, but travelers checks may (?) still be an option. I understand that Amex can deliver them to you in the USA and you should be able to exchange them for Cash at the Amex offices here near Retiro (downtown EZE).

If you have an Amex card, I suggest you calling them up and asking how this would work and if there are any fees when you cash them here in Buenos Aires.

If this works, then you could plan on doing only 1 visit to Amex when you arrive and use that option to collect all the cash you need in one shot.
I haven't done this in a long time, but there used to be AmEx machines in many USA airports, often near the airport's business center or FexEx window, where you could insert an AmEx card and get travelers' checks instantly.

AAA also always sold travelers checks to members without any fees.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I haven't done this in a long time, but there used to be AmEx machines in many USA airports, often near the airport's business center or FexEx window, where you could insert an AmEx card and get travelers' checks instantly.

AAA also always sold travelers checks to members without any fees.
As a tourist, I wouldn't want to exchange Travelers Checks in BsAs ( a very time consuming process at the bank, especially with the lines) ATM's are the way to go and a few Crisp US Hundreds exchanged at your local Cuerva may be a fun way to go (as long as you know one in a good neighborhood and not on Florida as a first timer) Spreads aren't that bad now for the informal/Blue rate:

http://www.ambito.com
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've never been willing to go near Florida, but the former "blue" exchange place that I knew (after being shown the spot by some FTers), in the small mall with the travel agency almost across the street from Fervor in Recoleta, seems to now be gone or else it's even less obvious than before. The window is covered with a big poster and you're buzzed into a windowless white room with a few chairs, and just a solid door rather than a window. There's no sign of what happens and no exchange rates, prices, or service fees are posted. It looks rather dodgy now. I'm assuming that current official versus blue rates make this not worth doing, given that there are at least two official exchange places in Recoleta.

BTW, I noticed signs outside of a big supermarket that I thought said (I don't know Spanish) that they give substantial discounts (in the 10% to 30% range) if you pay by credit or debit card, with debit apparently being best, then AmEx (but maybe only the charge cards and not the affiliated credit cards), and then other credit cards. Can this be right? I would have expected the discounts to be associated with paying in cash (or in foreign currency for expensive stuff in small shops).
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

BTW, I noticed signs outside of a big supermarket that I thought said (I don't know Spanish) that they give substantial discounts (in the 10% to 30% range) if you pay by credit or debit card, with debit apparently being best, then AmEx (but maybe only the charge cards and not the affiliated credit cards), and then other credit cards. Can this be right? I would have expected the discounts to be associated with paying in cash (or in foreign currency for expensive stuff in small shops).
It's a very commonly used method by the large supermarket chains to catch the unwary so you have to read the small print. It's only certain cards on certain days and there are spend limits. Plus in our local Vea at least, discounted items don't count and are itemised separately. The manager of our Vea would end up in court if he worked in the UK due to his dodgy practices. He now goes and hides when he sees the wife and I arriving as we're forever pulling him up about items either being wrongly priced or not priced at all.

I'd rather give the small independent stores our money as they're almost always cheaper but we don't have the time.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
As Hiddy points out shopping in Argie supermarkets is not easy . Every weekend you get a range of discounts of between 50+80% on the second similar product from a range of categories . Then there's a range of 6 x 4 , 4 x 3 and 3 x 2 offers in addition . You need an MBA in Mathematics to work out the best deal.

Just off for a nice glass of Malbec that I bought in a 50% of in a fine wines deal last weekend
HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by malagajohn; Aug 31, 2017 at 1:49 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:44 pm

As Hiddy points out shopping in Argie supermarkets is not easy . Every weekend you get a range of discounts of between 50+80% on the second similar product from a range of categories . Then there's a range of 6 x 4 , 4 x 3 and 3 x 2 offers in addition . You need an MBA in Mathematics to work out the best deal.

Just off for a nice glass of Malbec that I bought in a 50% of in a fine wines deal last weekend

Last edited by malagajohn; Aug 31, 2017 at 1:49 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:50 pm

Sorry two posts for the price of one.....

Internet problems....
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by malagajohn
Sorry two posts for the price of one.....
You mean just like shopping at Coto on a particular day of the week
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by malagajohn

Enjoy......although you could have many or at least multiple glasses of good Malbec at COW DO this weekend in Buenos Aires.....just a reminder in case you're in town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.