Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Can evidence of travel to the Falkland Islands cause problem when entering Argentina?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can evidence of travel to the Falkland Islands cause problem when entering Argentina?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Can evidence(in passport) of travel to the Falkland
Islands cause problem when entering Argentina?

I assume it's a non-issue, but I just wanted to be
sure. Immigration officers in many South American
countries are very unpredictable. (well, at least
not as bad as the ones at SGN airport who blatantly
asked for a cash bribe while looking at my passport)
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:44 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
My experience differs quite somewhat from yours. Do you tend to have an "attitude" when you pass through Immigration in places you visit...?

Unless you do something out of line like what a Pilot from a large US Airline did a few years back with the Photo & Fingerprint requirements (I think that was in Brazil), all South American immigration services are very friendly compared to some of the characters you get at US, Canadian and other OECD Nations when you arrive at Immigrations.... although perhaps the "champions" of being unpredictable (and rude) are the Ozzies.

The only notable exception in South America that Im aware of is Santiago de Chile, where some immigration clerks have somewhat of an attitude, but its not as predominant as in Australia and the above noted Northern Hemisphere Nations.

To address your specific question, what passport do you carry...? Regardless, in most cases, Argentine immigration doesn't conduct a thorough search of the stamps in your passport, that's more like what you get in places like Moscow, Teheran, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Pyong-Yang or Damascus (just to name a few examples where I have first hand experience).

Also, since there is no such thing as the Falkland Islands (they are called Islas Malvinas). Even if an immigration officer here would find that kind of a stamp in your travel documents; chances are higher that he/she would ask you where on earth such a place was located, rather than give you any issues.

Enjoy your travels in Argentina.... and I trust you are able to read between the lines...?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
In theory , there should be no problem as Falklands/Malvinas are viewed as being part of Argentina by almost all Argentines.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
My experience differs quite somewhat from yours. Do you tend to have an "attitude" when you pass through Immigration in places you visit...?
I'm quiet as a mouse 99.9% of the time.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
I'm quiet as a mouse 99.9% of the time.
Keep it Mousy, call the Malvinas by their proper Name, and you will be fine..... ^
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's not uncommon for Argentine nationals to visit the islands so you have no need to worry.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:38 pm

Two of my best friends and I have been toying with the idea to go down to Malvinas, and do things out of principle - that would most probably get us arrested. It would be an interesting test of how well "rule of law" works in a B territory of the UK.....
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Two of my best friends and I have been toying with the idea to go down to Malvinas, and do things out of principle - that would most probably get us arrested. It would be an interesting test of how well "rule of law" works in a B territory of the UK.....
I have a sailing friend who is a member of some BsAs yacht club. Every once in a while some of the members sail down to the islands. As long as they have the correct documentation they are more than welcome to land. From the pictures he showed me they all seem to have a great time when there.

Life's too short to worry about these things.....although it doesn't stop the wife from regularly giving me her opinion on the matter.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

in Buenos Aires now... spoke with
a local friend who said my "fear"
was not necessary. HOWEVER,
she said last year, some British
tourists were harassed by old people
who participated in the invasion
of the Falklands(yes, she is a
native Argentina, so I was quite
shocked when used "Falklands"
instead of "Malvina" but I think
the she just didn't want to get
me confused) Anyway, some
"bright" British tourist kept
luggage tags on their backpack
that had the word "Falkland"
on it and were chased by old
Argentinians who noticed it.
Stones were thrown but nobody
go hurt. She said this was near
Plaza San Martin.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:56 pm

no...........simply no problem
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:44 pm

Unless you do something out of line like what a Pilot from a large US Airline did a few years back with the Photo & Fingerprint requirements (I think that was in Brazil), all South American immigration services are very friendly compared to some of the characters you get at US, Canadian and other OECD Nations when you arrive at Immigrations...
Even in Brazil in the days right after the "incident", most immigration officers were pretty relaxed. I made a joke in Portuguese about serving his "national pride" while I was being fingerprinted and photographed, and the guy just laughed and stamped my passport. I wonder whatever became of the photo and fingerprint? By the time I entered the next time, the requirement had been done away with (again).
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HIDDY
It's not uncommon for Argentine nationals to visit the islands so you have no need to worry.

..... says the Brit married to the natural-born Argentine.

As per my own experience, it's not been a problem for any Americans for quite some time (if it ever were a problem).

But I wasn't a known US military advisor to the British military in its actions against Argentina during the very early Reagan-Thatcher period, so I'm not sure why they would care.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 7, 2016 at 1:25 pm
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
in Buenos Aires now... spoke with
a local friend who said my "fear"
was not necessary. HOWEVER,
she said last year, some British
tourists were harassed by old people
who participated in the invasion
of the Falklands(yes, she is a
native Argentina, so I was quite
shocked when used "Falklands"
instead of "Malvina" but I think
the she just didn't want to get
me confused) Anyway, some
"bright" British tourist kept
luggage tags on their backpack
that had the word "Falkland"
on it and were chased by old
Argentinians who noticed it.
Stones were thrown but nobody
go hurt. She said this was near
Plaza San Martin.
Old people? I don't consider people born in the 1950s and 1960s to be all that old.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:31 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Should be absolutely no issue. Be aware that many summer Antarctic cruise ships sail directly from Ushuaia to the Falklands / Malvinas and vice versa. Its hardly a secret. In fact, IME the Ushuaia - Falklands - Sth Georgia - Antarctica - Ushuaia cruise(s) are treated as "domestic" by Ushuaia Immigration and the shipping company arranges for Falklands Immigration to stamp Passports (by popular demand). Later, on leaving EZE for International, the passport is given a cursory check then exit stamp and nothing more.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:18 am

For present times, I defer to the answers offered here, but do recall a sailing friend of mine whose then 80-year old grandmother (traveling on US passport) was refused entry or detained or some such at her point of entry to continental Argentina either shortly or immediately after having travelled via the Falklands/Malvinas on her son's boat. This was more than twenty years ago, however. 1994 or 1995 if I had to guess.

It was basically on grounds along the lines that she had "entered Argentina" illegally already, or had not cleared immigration to Argentina at her first point of entry (which they considered to be the Malvinas). I don't know how it all turned out. There is a strong possibility she was deported back to the US, which actually wouldn't have been as bad as it sounds, given that it was at the end of the time she spent sailing with her family, and was basically on the way home anyway. Still, a heck of a thing for an 80-year old lady to encounter after merrily sailing around the southern cone with family...

Last edited by Schultzois; Aug 28, 2016 at 8:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.