Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber now available in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I guess the main problem, apart from the language barrier, is that many Uber cars here are quite small (Chevrolet Onix, Fiat Argo, etc.) and as such people may have a problem carrying luggage. There is sadly no option to ask for a larger car -- I for one would pay extra for it. People who travel light should be fine, though.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Thanks for all your replies, we are family of 4 with some luggage and would take an airport taxi. My kids can speak some decent Spanish.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:45 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by concordian
Thanks for all your replies, we are family of 4 with some luggage and would take an airport taxi. My kids can speak some decent Spanish.
For a family of 4 with bags, you will most probably have to take 2 Ezeiza Taxis unless you have VERY small bags and have luck in getting an Ezeiza Taxi that is a small mini-Van type vehicle. Please note that Argentine cars follow the European standard when it comes to sizing, so most standard sedans in Argentina would probably qualify as Sub-Compact cars in America.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
Mi I
Thanks for this, I just downloaded the taxi premium app as I think we need to give Uber a pass because of the resistance in Argentina. Do you have any idea if this works in the Salta area as well?
I found the drivers at SLA to be quite good. Argentines appeared to directly use the taxis waiting outside the terminal so I did too, driver was friendly and routing was correct even though anyone with eyes or ears could tell I was not local. On the way back to the airport I had the hotel front desk call me a taxi and that was good as well, drivers help with bags and wish you buen viaje etc.

On a related note Uber worked surprisingly well at AEP for me but I would use the taxi kiosk option if not in a hurry, don’t have cash, or completely unable to speak Spanish. (You do have to sit up front and pay cash to actually get an Uber, for me it was a small price to pay for the cost savings but YMMV).
2RETIREDTRAVELERS likes this.

Last edited by Agneisse; Jun 29, 2019 at 6:05 am
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:58 pm

Agneisse, Thanks for your insights, sounds like Salta should be pretty easy. To bad to need to pay cash to actually get an Uber, I think the ability to have it auto charged to a CC is the best thing Uber has.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Agneisse, Thanks for your insights, sounds like Salta should be pretty easy. To bad to need to pay cash to actually get an Uber, I think the ability to have it auto charged to a CC is the best thing Uber has.
Uber is a mix in Argentina . If you can pay by c/c , you will normally find your car is of a higher standard.

Cabify is the best option at the moment if you dont want to pay cash
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:46 pm

I’m normally plastic all the way too but as you’ll need cash for most purchases in Argentina anyway, it’s not that disruptive (unlike in the US/UK where having to get cash for a transaction becomes a special effort). Also, you still know how much it’s going to cost beforehand, so can prepare the appropriate notes during the ride and just hand it to them while leaving. Helped by the small denomination of notes, I was always able to get it close enough to be comfortable with declining change and leaving immediately.

Your post history suggests you are American which means you won’t even need to pay ATM withdrawal fees given the right bank cards

Last edited by Agneisse; Jul 2, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: none
Just choose Cabify for the moment if you wanna pay cash
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Southwest, United, American Airlines
CC works now

Used Uber twice in BA, both times with credit card (US) via app. About 25% cheaper than cabify/taxi.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Friendly reminder. For using Uber in the city, please remember to make sure you ride up front if you are solo. Until Uber is 100% legal here, its an easy way to avoid potential issues.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Friendly reminder. For using Uber in the city, please remember to make sure you ride up front if you are solo. Until Uber is 100% legal here, its an easy way to avoid potential issues.
Glad to see that BA is adopting the Aussie method for taxi riding

Just wandering
Fred
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:06 am

Is it customary to sit in the front when you ride in a taxi in Australia.....?

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Glad to see that BA is adopting the Aussie method for taxi riding

Just wandering
Fred
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Is it customary to sit in the front when you ride in a taxi in Australia.....?
Much more so than many other countries if there is only one passenger.
I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I am misguided....

Just wandering
Fred
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Much more so than many other countries if there is only one passenger.
I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I am misguided....

Just wandering
Fred
Same in Germany and in Holland.

True story: I once took a cab in the Netherlands. The driver was a Turkish guy and I look quite "Northern European". I had no idea Dutch people seat in the front seat, so I sat in the back, and I spoke to the driver in English because I don't speak any Dutch. I started a conversation and he was very sour. He only relaxed after I told him I'm from Argentina. He then becomes friendly and we talk about football. At the end of the trip he says: "At first I thought you were Dutch and I was mad a you because I thought you sat in the back and spoke to me in English because you were a racist Dutch guy who wouldn't share a front seat with a Turkish driver -- now I see you are not from here, so that's ok".
Gaucho100K and FlyingCow like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: Southwest, United, American Airlines
I would also add that even the majority of UberX cars here are head and shoulder above the "regular" taxis.
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.