Uber now available in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA silver
We were certainly caught up in the protests. Several roads blocked
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
The whole Uber thing has become quite interesting.

So far the taxi union has got a judicial injunction which not only prohibits Uber from doing business here but also orders all credit cards to block Uber payments. Uber has reacted in a really Uberesque way - offering free rides.

I am pro-competition, especially in the taxi business which in Buenos Aires is more like a cartel - very expensive, heavily regulated and the service they provide is awful. That said, as a lawyer I do see some legal issues regarding 2) taxation (Uber drivers are taxed but Uber itself isn't and they have not even applied for an Argentine tax ID as they claim to be based in Bermuda or somewhere similar) and 2) insurance liability: the common insurance policy here covers what lawyers call "benevolent transportation", i.e. a free ride, but if you charge your pax then you need another, more expensive insurance. I know in Uruguay Uber drivers involved in accidents were told to pretend their paying pax were friends they were giving a ride, but that's both illegal and very problematic, especially for the passenger.

At the end I think Uber will this war, but it will take a while until victory comes.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
So Is Uber taking the tact, to give passengers with the APP free rides, while they pay the drivers the fare they would have normally received if the passenger had paid. I have used Uber in MVD and SCL and it works perfectly and the tolls in SCL are spot on and instant.. Uber does have a great technology, just curious how they will continue to implement in BsAs.. Thanks Marambio for your update and insight to the situation..
Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:19 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Uber does have the size, cash and overall firepower to win this, but it will not be a walk in the park. The Unions here are not a push-over, and both the local & federal government are going to be careful to make sure that Uber is not seen as doing what it wants. I think in the end Uber will have to provide some sort of blanket insurance coverage for all drivers & pax (similar to what it does in the USA), and then of course pay up on all city & Argentine Federal Taxes. It remains to be seen if they will still be able to get a proper market share.... as I understand it Uber has won the war in many large cities but they have had to pull out of others with a defeat.... it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even though I'm unlikely to use them over a Radio Taxi I sincerely hope they stick around as they're a breath of fresh air. This country needs outfits like Uber to challenge the 'rules' that allow many companies here to operate to their best advantage rather than that of the consumer.

It is the 21st century after all.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:11 am

Had two good experiences with Uber on Friday and Saturday. Saturday evening from Caballtito to Puerto Madero 84 pesos. Driver suggested I sit upfront. In both cases the drivers were polite, cars were roomy. Both were young, doing uber part time. They relied on GPS. Don't know how they would do if heavy traffic forced them to another route. Sunday afternoon, no cars available in Caballito. Sun evening (in heavy rain) no cars in Puerto Madero. Actually the uber app responded, but after the app showed that the driver was 1 minute away (for 15 minutes), and he didn't respond to our texts or call, we cancelled. To be fair there were no available taxis on the street either, but we were able to call a radio taxi.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:33 pm

More experiences with Uber, generally quite good

I've had about 8 to 10 more experiences with Uber over the last three weeks. Mostly they have been positive. Biggest drawback is that many times there are no cars available. The other drawback is that many of the drivers rely totally on the GPS as they don't know the city. If you know your way, you can provide the best route. Rates are quite good. Last night we took an Uber car from Sheraton Retiro to PF Chang's in Martinez. The cost was 169 pesos, very reasonable for the distance. Unfortunately there were no cars available to take us back. The restaurant called a remise. It was 330 pesos.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Gold.
I'm probably going to visit BA in October. Is there any update on the situation?
It's my first visit to South America and I'm not that sure of the customs or my way around.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Still quite unclear. Some of my friends have used Uber with no problems and others have waited more than 40 minutes at non peak times.

Seems the uncertainty will go on . The taxi drivers havent protested for a while buy I am not holding my breath
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn
Still quite unclear. Some of my friends have used Uber with no problems and others have waited more than 40 minutes at non peak times.

Seems the uncertainty will go on . The taxi drivers havent protested for a while buy I am not holding my breath
I can't really see me using Uber. Given most of my taxi rides are inside the city centre flagging down a Radio Taxi still seems much quicker.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Gold.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I can't really see me using Uber. Given most of my taxi rides are inside the city centre flagging down a Radio Taxi still seems much quicker.
Hi Hiddy,

Hope you're well.

Can you give me any indication of costs within the city centre for hailing a taxi, say traveling 3 or 4 miles?

Guster
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Guster fixed charge of 20.2 pesos when you sit in the taxi . Then 2.02 pesos every 200 metres .
Between 22.00 and 06.00 there is a supplement of 20%.
I used to tip but Mrs Malagajohn , born and bred here in Bs As told me to stop it.

There about 19 pesos to the Pound at the moment
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Guster
Hi Hiddy,

Hope you're well.

Can you give me any indication of costs within the city centre for hailing a taxi, say traveling 3 or 4 miles?

Guster
I'm doing okay thanks. ^

My visits into the capital are as few and far between as I can make them so malagajohn's post will be spot on. Like him my wife also gave me a row many years ago when I was too generous with tipping so apart from rounding the fare up to avoid having to hang around for some loose change I have gladly complied with her wishes since. The drivers aren't used to receiving big tips so you shouldn't feel obliged to tip.

In the whole taxis are safe, I've never had a problem. Best to carry lots of 10 and 20 peso notes rather than hand over a 100 to avoid some chancer trying the old fake note switch trick.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:26 pm

Any further perspectives on the availability or use of Uber to get from EZE to the Retiro area? Have some of the issues mentioned above been resolved? Thx!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HIDDY

In the whole taxis are safe, I've never had a problem. Best to carry lots of 10 and 20 peso notes rather than hand over a 100 to avoid some chancer trying the old fake note switch trick.
The "old trick" is hardly worth anyone's trouble. How many trips are much under 100 these days? I'd be more concerned about a false meter, of which I've had exactly one obvious one since 2008.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.