Uber now available in Buenos Aires

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber now available in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:40 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Uber service is still hit and miss. As Ive said before, I'm not a fan because of various conceptual issues - so since I'm anti-Uber (until they clean up their act), I'm probably biased. Bottom line is that compared to many other cities, Taxis in EZE are not exactly prohibitively expensive so it may not be entirely worth it to even bother unless one is on a very tight budget.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:52 am

As an alternate point of view, I started using Uber not to save money (indeed, in cities where I started using them, the Uber Black was more expensive than a taxi - now it's settled out to be about the same).

I use it for the relative sense of security of having every ride registered with the route, driver name and car registration. I would happily pay a premium for that. In places where my language skills are not perfect (Brasil, most often) I appreciate the ability to enter the destination through the app rather than have to try to explain it, and that the driver and I can both see where the intended destination is.

I avoid UberX (which is all they offer in BA as yet) except in cities where the drivers are held to high standards already. (UberX in Paris, for instance, is actually more like Uber Black in most cities, with their Uber Black service basically being a luxury service).

Regrettably, Uber in Buenos Aires still falls short of my requirements on consistent reliability and sense of security with respect to driver and vehicle. I've had a couple good ones, but I have also had some called but never show up. In one case I could see on the map where the driver should be, and it was a block away. I walked the block to see the car with appropriate registration illegally parked on a sidewalk corner in front of a bar. With no sign of the driver (and suspicion that he might well be in the bar), I canceled the ride. The next day I had to contact Uber to get them to reverse the "cancellation fee" that the driver had tried to collect for cancelling a job more than five minutes after booking (I had waited ten minutes on a pick-up that was forecast to be 2-3 minutes before walking down the street to try to find the car).

It's a shame the levels I see Uber performing to in other cities still don't happen in Buenos Aires, because I consider the taxis here, although cheap, to be very frequently unsafe, especially the ones you hail in the street as opposed to call. Radio taxis that you call can be highly unreliable as to when or if they show up. All these aspects make me very much desire a good alternative to taxis, which in most places would be Uber. Here in Buenos Aires, all I've got is a relatively expensive Remise service that we have a business account with, and although safe and reliable everything still needs to be booked at least an hour or two ahead...
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
And.. If its raining, try and get a Taxi either on the street or by phone its been darn near impossible for me.. That's why I use Manuel Tienda Leon Bus and transfer by Car(Madero Depot) to and from EZE.. They have always been on time and never had an issue.. They are very organized and provide a good value.. Last month I had a flight from AEP to San Juan and it was raining.. Man did I have an issue.. Was about to take the collectivo Happy Holidays and Safe Travels
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Is UBER doable from AEP? I'd imagine locating the car / pick up is a mess, if even possible.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Is UBER doable from AEP? I'd imagine locating the car / pick up is a mess, if even possible.
Uber self blocks AEP as a pick up location since there were some "issues" between Uber and taxi drivers there. What some people do is disable the GPS mode at AEP and set manually "Tierra Santa" as the pick up location. Then they call the driver and tell him/her they are at AEP. I have heard this works, but I couldn't be bothered.

I usually call a radiotaxi at AEP right after landing (normally I travel HBO from/to AEP) and arrange a pick up at the Manuel Tienda León sign outside of domestic arrivals.

Uber works nicely at EZE, though.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marambio
Uber self blocks AEP as a pick up location since there were some "issues" between Uber and taxi drivers there. What some people do is disable the GPS mode at AEP and set manually "Tierra Santa" as the pick up location. Then they call the driver and tell him/her they are at AEP. I have heard this works, but I couldn't be bothered.

I usually call a radiotaxi at AEP right after landing (normally I travel HBO from/to AEP) and arrange a pick up at the Manuel Tienda León sign outside of domestic arrivals.

Uber works nicely at EZE, though.
Thanks. I rarely arrive AEP, and last time, my regular guy who I ordered sent someone else and finding him was really difficult (and the phone conversation, with all the noise, didn't help). I'll probably just take a taxi this time.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Cabify is up and running in Bs As . Apparently they only have drivers with a professional licence and they pay their taxes as well.

Just downloaded the app and will try them tonight.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
So all my Uber charges in Buenos Aires this week have posted to my account in dollars instead of pesos. A 300 ARS ride from the airport posted as 300 USD. Needless to say, this is 17x the price it should be. What a crazy error! Anyone else experiencing this madness?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by stvr
So all my Uber charges in Buenos Aires this week have posted to my account in dollars instead of pesos. A 300 ARS ride from the airport posted as 300 USD. Needless to say, this is 17x the price it should be. What a crazy error! Anyone else experiencing this madness?
Ouch that is a big mistake. Uber on any foreign transactions have always been very quick in making any fare adjustments, if necessary. I would contact them immediately through their customer service link.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Whoops! Never heard about this but I feel your anger. I would contact Uber immediately through the app and get this sorted out. They are usually quite quick, at least in my experience.

Uber Buenos Aires quotes prices in pesos but charges in USD. Maybe the system got confused at some point.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Regarding Uber in Buenos Aires in general — took 10-15 rides. Loved the service. I did an Uber from EZE to downtown for 300 ARS — I got an off-duty remisero in a late-model Peugeot 408. What a steal!

Most of my drivers around town were competent and capable. They let me sit in the back. (In Chile, all drivers insisted I sit up front due to the regulatory ambiguity.)

Two drivers did not have working seatbelts and I was too busy to get out and go into a different car. (With family I would have gotten out.) Those drivers got low ratings and a report to customer service. Most drivers had only been with the service for days or weeks. One driver had the chutzpah to stop at a gas station next to my hotel before picking me up. I walked over to his pump and told him to cancel the fare.

At one point, it started raining heavily. I got an Uber at 1.4x surge, while anyone insisting on a taxi would have been screwed.

On the way back to the airport, Uber was pricing at 400 ARS from Recoleta. So I took a 60 ARS Uber to Manuel Tienda Leon and paid 240 ARS from there. If I had had a second passenger, I would have just done Uber, obviously.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the way back to the airport, Uber was pricing at 400 ARS from Recoleta. So I took a 60 ARS Uber to Manuel Tienda Leon and paid 240 ARS from there. If I had had a second passenger, I would have just done Uber, obviously.
How much time did this take, all to save AR$100?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
How much time did this take, all to save AR$100?
The bus was in some sort of reversible bus lane that avoided about 20 minutes of traffic on the 25 de Mayo highway. Ubers do not get to go in that lane. So I saved both time and money.

Here's an article explaining the project:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1834045-e...sta-25-de-mayo
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Where can I pick up an Uber at EZE? A lot of airports have a designated area of sorts, curious where I would pick one up at EZE. My Spanish is abysmal, so it can be difficult when a driver calls me looking for me for a pickup and I don't know how to respond
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Just came back from Argentina. Thought I'd post my feedback since I was looking for this information six months ago.

I was not able to use the Uber app anywhere else except for EZE in Buenos Aires, but upthread posts has workarounds apparently. Upon exiting EZE, I saw clusters of police gathering at the curb. Since Uber isn't exactly legal in Argentina, I didn't want to risk it, so I went back inside to get a cab at Taxi Ezezia booth instead. I was charged 780 ARS pesos cash to go to San Telmo last month, but IIRC this is a flat fee. If you were to pay by credit card, I think the charge would have been 830 ARS. There's ATM machines near the Taxi Ezezia stand if you don't have ARS cash on you. My Spanish is terrible at best, so it was a relief that the people who work at the Taxi Ezezia booth speak English. Know that there will be a baggage handler who will help you with your luggage and direct you to the cab you will be in. He will ask you for a tip, so have some small change handy.

This is what the Taxi Ezezia booth looks like: https://www.buenostours.com/wp-conte...taxiezeiza.jpg

I hope this helps someone.

As for Cabify, I had tried to use it in Buenos Aires (looking to go from where all the theaters are to San Telmo). It took several minutes (think closer to 10 min) to find a match, and each time a match was found, the cab driver would cancel the ride. I ended up just hailing a cab from the street. So, my experience with Cabify wasn't exactly stellar. That said, my friends who live in Buenos Aires swear by it, so I guess if a match was found, it is fairly reliable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.