Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund on VAT airline tax?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Refund on VAT airline tax?

I'm going to be in Buenos Aires and planning on a 3 day trip to Iguazu. Looking at ITA, it shows:

Argentina Domestic Value Added Tax (DL) $139 per person

Can i get this refunded? What about the value added tax on the hotel in iguazu? I live in the US.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
VAT refunds are generally for goods not consumed within the country, and refunded when you are "past the point of no return" for departure from the country. Not the case for your case.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:41 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
VAT refunds are generally for goods not consumed within the country, and refunded when you are "past the point of no return" for departure from the country. Not the case for your case.
100% correct. As a side note, the only country I know of that will give tourists a VAT refund on hotel expenses is Chile.... and I dont know if that's on the total hotell bill or only on lodging.

Perhaps Eastbay1K can elaborate...??
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:29 am

In Uruguay they refund most of the VAT if charged on a foreign credit card. Diplomats, etc. would also be entitled to a refund of VAT in many cases.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
100% correct. As a side note, the only country I know of that will give tourists a VAT refund on hotel expenses is Chile.... and I dont know if that's on the total hotell bill or only on lodging.

Perhaps Eastbay1K can elaborate...??
In Chile, it is not charged - it is not a refund. And it is also only on the room rate. If it is something that you can pee or poo, no refund for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.