Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summiting Aconcagua without guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Summiting Aconcagua without guide

Hi all. I plan to climb Aconcagua around Jan/Feb,route to be discussed. I would like to do it by myself without the crazy expense of going with the guided tours. It's possible with good planning but extra company would be great. Any one interested I would be keen to hear from.
Good travels
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:20 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Welcome to FT.

Are you sure this (ie. climbing solo with no local guide) is legal...?

With all the latest accidents that have received massive press coverage, there has been talk about increased regulation, requirements and other issues for visitors that want to climb Aconcagua. The idea is that when folks go up solo and have problems, the Mendoza authorities cannot just ignore climbers, even if they have signed waivers, ect.

Please note Im not a mountaineer myself and I dont want to rain on your parade but I suggest you keep informed and updated on your planning to make sure you will be able to do this solo.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Old Dec 9, 2010, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Recommended reading:

http://baexpats.org/expat-events/260...concuagua.html
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/8313-...aconcagua.html
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

We're pretty much travelers, even some adventure travelers - yours would be a much better post on a mountaineer / Alpinist site, or even the South American Explorers site.

The sites you have been referred to are good starts, and the book mentioned there - not to mention several others that are reasonably well rated, Bob Secor's being one, might also be good starts, unless you have done those and not shared that with us.

At 6962 m/22,841 ft you are not in for a walk in the park. HAPE is a definite possibility, and weather risks a distinct possibility. ˇSuerte!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

muchas gracias pora todos!-advice,precautions to be aware of.i've heard from a few others that R.J Secor's "Aconcagua: A Climbing Guide is a good one but will need a topographical map to accompany alongside.I shall be spreading the word as much as possible,a few notices when i get to buenos aires hostels can't do any harm too.
Buen suerte
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Please do come back and let us know how things go after your trip.... ^
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:05 am

Climbing Aconcagua solo and unguided

See www.climbaconcaguasolo.com for information regarding climbing Aconcagua solo and unguided.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:32 am

I have not read the link above, but I can report that the local media have been covering the issue of the costs involved to rescue climbers that attempt to summit Aconcagua. Apparently, the Provincial Authorities in Mendoza have started to collect increased fees to enter the National Park from climbers. Also, there are a few Provincial and Federal Representatives & Senators that have begun working on passing new legislation that will more tightly regulate what the requirements, costs and maybe insurance coverage that folks wanting to go up the hill need to come up with before they are given access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.