Wiki Posts
Search

Intra-Argentina travel for gringos

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Intra-Argentina travel for gringos

Can anyone give me an update on saving money on intra-Argentine travel if you're not a local? I'm going to have a family to move around the country so I need some cheapo transport. Is there currently a residency requirement for the cheapest airfares? Alternatively, any cheapo frequent flyer mileage redemptions (like if I want to go from Iguazu to Patagonia?).

And, perhaps as a last resort, I recall reading of super-luxury long distances buses that are very cheap. Any help on this would also be greatly appreciated. How cheap, and how comfortable? Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:47 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The residency requirements for the best airfare still exist... but as Ive reported before, enforcement is variable. Just remember if you buy these fares and get caught, you will have to face the music. Cant help you on mileage redemptions... but I dont think there will be a good value for mileage.

Long distance bus travel in Argentina will save you money, but if you are going to use the best service on all routes, your savings vs. flying will be diminished... still, if you are in a group of folks this may still be a feasible option, provided you have time to spare as this will take up a lot more time from your overall itinerary.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:09 pm

If you'll be doing multiple flights, it might be a good idea to buy an Air Pass. Looking at the price schedule, fares may be 50-75% of the prevailing non-Argentina rates, and in fact not much more than the local rates.

Lan's Air Pass is described here : http://www.lan.com/en_us/promociones...ml#buenosaires

Note that you need to be entering South America on LAN, or a oneworld carrier, or certain others, and there may be other conditions as well. I think it needs to be purchased prior to your travel to South America.

Aerolineas Argentina seems to have a similar offer as well, but I would stick to LAN.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx

And, perhaps as a last resort, I recall reading of super-luxury long distances buses that are very cheap. Any help on this would also be greatly appreciated. How cheap, and how comfortable? Thanks!

I wouldn't call it super luxury but here is a short report I posted a few years ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7905071-post85.html
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would forget trying to con the system posing as a resident....it's fraud, pure and simple. It would be highly irresponsible of you to put your family at risk for doing something you do not qualify for and you'll pay a hefty surcharge if caught doing so.
Coach prices have risen sharply over the last few years and aren't the bargain they once were. Despite the increase in prices I have noticed a deterioration on the quality of service on the route that I use regularly. Longer distance routes still provide a high standard of service but you will pay for it and as Gaucho100K has said you have to take the time factor into consideration. Worth doing once just to experience it but I certainly wouldn't like to be doing it regularly during a holiday.
Schultzois has hit the nail on the head with the air pass....the best solution in my opinion if you want to travel long distances quickly and at a decent price.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:35 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I also think the air pass is a good option, if you can fulfill the carrier requirements. The long distance bus service can be nice but you have to be traveling the routes that have the luxury service and you have to be able to get seats... this is not always easy.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schultzois
If you'll be doing multiple flights, it might be a good idea to buy an Air Pass. Looking at the price schedule, fares may be 50-75% of the prevailing non-Argentina rates, and in fact not much more than the local rates.
Don't you need 3 flights for the airpass? We're likely to redeem oneworld miles, so we'd try to fly into one city and out of another (for free), thereby reducing our need for multiple segments. I think 2 would be the max.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I would forget trying to con the system posing as a resident....it's fraud, pure and simple. It would be highly irresponsible of you to put your family at risk for doing something you do not qualify for and you'll pay a hefty surcharge if caught doing so.
While I HATE the idea of charging locals more than foreigners for air travel in a developed country (like travelling with a family, I need the discount as much as anybody else!), I agree that it's foolish to pose like a resident to try to save money: unless of course "everybody" does it and there's no risk of getting caught. I recall long-ago discussion here where people did get busted.

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
I wouldn't call it super luxury but here is a short report I posted a few years ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7905071-post85.html
Thanks. I think my kids would love the experience (once, at least) and the price seems right. Is there a "how to book a fancy Argentine bus" guide on the web? And how far in advance can you book these things?

BTW, I thought I saw that AA offer intra-Argentine flights for 10,000 miles. That wouldn't be a great deal, but certainly a plausible one for gringos -- especially if you were flying from one end of the country to the other. I wonder if there are other (perhaps better) ff mileage options. I remember intra-Peru I solved the problem of very high gringo fares by using an astonishingly low Lanpass award promo.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:34 am

I recall long-ago discussion here where people did get busted.
They do seem to be clamping down on it as there is now a tick box on the website to confirm you are a resident when purchasing a resident fare. I'm sure the odd traveller on their own can still slip through without being challenged. It's not worth getting stressed out just for the sake of saving a few quid....especially with a family in tow. You won't get slung in prison but it could end up costing you three times more to get to your destination.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:16 am

Thanks. I think my kids would love the experience (once, at least) and the price seems right. Is there a "how to book a fancy Argentine bus" guide on the web? And how far in advance can you book these things?
Really depends where and when you are planning on going. Different coach companies serve different routes...like Via Barlioche who serve northern Patagonia and the west.Some websites allow online bookings to be made but in my experience they can be a bit flaky.

btw when in Retiro a few weeks ago one of Via Bariloches coaches pulled up beside our old wreck. I saw it had seat back screens on it and looked very comfortable for a long journey.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:15 am

I think my kids would love the experience (once, at least) and the price seems right. Is there a "how to book a fancy Argentine bus" guide on the web? And how far in advance can you book these things?

Keep in mind that the prices I mentioned in my report are outdated. You can start your research here:

http://www.omnilineas.com/
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
Keep in mind that the prices I mentioned in my report are outdated. You can start your research here:

http://www.omnilineas.com/
Thanks. From a practical cost/time standpoint, it would seem that the only "major" bus routing that would make much sense for a typical int'l traveller would be Buenos Aires/Mendoza. The other routes (like to Iguazu or Patagonia) are really too long to be efficient. I personally don't consider an overnight sleeper bus or train to be efficient if you have to leave before 6 pm and arrive after 9 am.

Of course, if the airfares to the more distant destinations are just ridiculous for foreigners (and every traveller has their own definition of "ridiculous") you could chose to use up some vacation time with a very long bus ride.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:30 am

Thanks. From a practical cost/time standpoint, it would seem that the only "major" bus routing that would make much sense for a typical int'l traveller would be Buenos Aires/Mendoza. The other routes (like to Iguazu or Patagonia) are really too long to be efficient. I personally don't consider an overnight sleeper bus or train to be efficient if you have to leave before 6 pm and arrive after 9 am.

Of course, if the airfares to the more distant destinations are just ridiculous for foreigners (and every traveller has their own definition of "ridiculous") you could chose to use up some vacation time with a very long bus ride.
Agreed!!!! ^
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Originally Posted by Schultzois

Lan's Air Pass is described here : http://www.lan.com/en_us/promociones...ml#buenosaires

Note that you need to be entering South America on LAN, or a oneworld carrier, or certain others, and there may be other conditions as well. I think it needs to be purchased prior to your travel to South America.

Aerolineas Argentina seems to have a similar offer as well, but I would stick to LAN.

Is that an old link for the Lan Air Pass? I believe many of the flights on the list are no longer offered by Lan.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:10 pm

Thanks. From a practical cost/time standpoint, it would seem that the only "major" bus routing that would make much sense for a typical int'l traveller would be Buenos Aires/Mendoza.
Even that is pushing it.

The wife was trying to persuade me to take the bus to MDZ. When I saw the timetable and then the price I refused point blank to do it. A residents air fare was the same price as the fastest coach yet going by air took a fraction of the time.
I don't mind coach trips as they are in the most part very comfortable. My pet hate with them is that three quarters of the time on the overnight ones is spent in darkness so you don't actually get to see anything.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bus is certainly worth it, even on the 17h ride to Iguazú.

It's $125 for the most expensive flat bed on the bus, vs. $350 in airfare, plus, add in the $100 or so per person in hotel savings.

Sure, you miss a night out in Buenos Aires, but you get there about the same time you would had you taken an early morning flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.