Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Help to narrow down list of BA restaurants to visit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help to narrow down list of BA restaurants to visit?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Per person or 100 pesos for two....? If you are thinking of a high quality meal for two for 100 pesos, Im afraid that is not realistic... that would have been possible some 12-15 months ago, but not at todays pricing.
Looking to spend 100-120 pesos for two. Tip would be on top of that. 1x steak, 1x vegetarian. No wine. Not super high quality, just good wholesome food to enjoy and get full off of. Unfortunately I think your taste in restaurants is a few standard deviations $$$ above mine based on the places you recommended.

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
That's what I was trying to point out in my post above. Any restaurant in Puerto Madero will be much more expensive that that, as will popular restaurants such as La Brigada.

As I also pointed out, you can't just eat a piece of meat .... side dishes of a starch and vegetable will also be necessary, as well as water ...
Hmmm, no Puerto Madero places if I can help it. We hope to walk around and visit that section of the city, but have no real desire to eat there unless something pops out.

Also since my soon to be wife is a vegetarian, it helps out. We order her a few vegie sides (provoleta and grilled vegies) and she is happy and I get to share some with her. For the most part I am going for steak, not for sides.

Originally Posted by Krazyglue
I will agree that your going to need more that 100p per person to eat in most places on your list. Especially if you want a bottle of good malbec with dinner.
No we do not drink, so no wine with the meal.

What we are looking at is:

-1x steak for me
-2-3 vegetarian sides for her depending on their size (salad, provoletta, grilled vegies, bread, fritas to share...etc.)
-dessert maybe, but might get that at a cafe afterwards instea

My estimate was off of some prices I have seen online. The below pictures were literally taken and posted on a blog this past month. So these should be fairly accurate, no?

Club Eros:

Don Julio:

La Brigada
Old May 5, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by tranzformer
Looking to spend 100-120 pesos for two. Tip would be on top of that. 1x steak, 1x vegetarian. No wine. Not super high quality, just good wholesome food to enjoy and get full off of. Unfortunately I think your taste in restaurants is a few standard deviations $$$ above mine based on the places you recommended.

Hmmm, no Puerto Madero places if I can help it. We hope to walk around and visit that section of the city, but have no real desire to eat there unless something pops out.

Also since my soon to be wife is a vegetarian, it helps out. We order her a few vegie sides (provoleta and grilled vegies) and she is happy and I get to share some with her. For the most part I am going for steak, not for sides.
No we do not drink, so no wine with the meal.

What we are looking at is:

-1x steak for me
-2-3 vegetarian sides for her depending on their size (salad, provoletta, grilled vegies, bread, fritas to share...etc.)
-dessert maybe, but might get that at a cafe afterwards instea

My estimate was off of some prices I have seen online. The below pictures were literally taken and posted on a blog this past month. So these should be fairly accurate, no?
Tranzformer, I found the blog you referred to, and I think I see the problem ... The author mentions at the end of her post that the peso exchange rate when she was there was about 3.5. That would mean that they were there in February 2009.

The reason I mentioned Puerto Madero prices is that you asked about 3 restaurants that are in that area: Siga la Vaca, Spettus Steak House, and Bistecca. Three of the other restaurants are within 2 blocks of our apartment: Las Cholas, El Estanciero, and La Caballeriza, so I pass these every day. That's why we have been advising you that your estimates are way too low.

The price of meat increased dramatically this last January. As of about a year ago, approximately 40% of Argentine beef was being finished in feedlots, and that percentage is increasing. This beef is sold on the domestic Argentine market. Don't expect high-quality grass-feed beef to be cheap. I suspect the blogger you referred to may have been suffering from the placebo effect!

The Club Eros restaurant seems to be the odd one out. It appears to be a hole in the wall place (not that that necessarily makes it bad), but the reviews on Guia Óleo don't sound too appealing:

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=893#

I'm concerned too that you haven't estimated the quantity of food that you need to be satisfied. For example, I would normally have a small salad, a piece of meat, share some papas fritas and a vegetable side dish, and drink at least a couple of bottles of water. And that would in no way be overeating (I'm ignoring the wine consumption of course )

If your to-be wife is a strict vegetarian, you need to be aware that fried foods are not cooked in vegetable oil , nor is the pastry in empanadas made from vegetable shortening. So papas fritas will not be an option for her. You can often get potatoes baked on the parrilla however.

I don't think we're trying to steer you to fancy restaurants. Alex (Gaucho100K) is in the F+B business in BsAs, so is a very good judge of the local scene.

Eat a light lunch - you can get specials of plato principal/postre/gaseosa for good prices, where the main dish will often be something like noquis (which will be vegetarian), and you will have more to spend at dinner.

If you don't speak Spanish, you may want to check on the translations in the main thread for cuts of meats and the differences in cooking between the US and Argentina.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!^

John

Last edited by SoFlyOn; May 5, 2010 at 3:52 pm
Old May 5, 2010, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The first bill "Eros" looks dodgy to me but the rest I would say are okay but as was said earlier you can add 20% to that.
There are reasonable priced places about and the food will be okay.....I must admit I'm not one for paying fancy prices just to prop up the interior decorating budget of a restaurant......that's only for special occasions. The large shopping centres/malls have food courts where you can get a wide variety of food.....ideal for your future wife as there are plenty of salad options available.
So yes you should be able to keep near to your budget but you will have to seek the places out. You can also buy food from the supermarkets to eat in your lodgings at night. Carry a couple of plastic plates and cutlery with you.

We're all not as rich as the wine seller.
Old May 5, 2010, 4:16 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Rubbish !!!! You are quite some richer than I.... but I am a bigger spender than you...

Not that this is very hard.....
Old May 5, 2010, 4:38 pm

The first bill "Eros" looks dodgy to me but the rest I would say are okay but as was said earlier you can add 20% to that.
There are reasonable priced places about and the food will be okay.....I must admit I'm not one for paying fancy prices just to prop up the interior decorating budget of a restaurant......that's only for special occasions. The large shopping centres/malls have food courts where you can get a wide variety of food.....ideal for your future wife as there are plenty of salad options available.
You took your wife to food courts on your honeymoon?
Old May 5, 2010, 4:39 pm

I tend to think of Alex as more of a wine drinker. Wine selling just seems to be a hobby.

John
Old May 5, 2010, 5:31 pm

Rubbish !!!! You are quite some richer than I.... but I am a bigger spender than you...

Not that this is very hard.....
Aye laddie...being thrifty is in the Scottish blood and no amount of living here will change that.

You took your wife to food courts on your honeymoon?
No she took me...the Argentines are even stingier than the Scots.

I tend to think of Alex as more of a wine drinker.
Yeah I believe he can splash the cash for a bottle of Carcasonne now and again.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I tend to think of Alex as more of a wine drinker. Wine selling just seems to be a hobby.
Amen !!!! Couldnt have said the above any better myself.... ^
Old May 6, 2010, 11:46 am

Yeah I believe he can splash the cash for a bottle of Carcasonne now and again.
Actually, if you saw the corks I pop for everyday wines and some of the labels I have in me private cellar I think you would go into cardiac arrest....
Old May 6, 2010, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Actually, if you saw the corks I pop for everyday wines and some of the labels I have in me private cellar I think you would go into cardiac arrest....
Yes, because some must be from the Right Side of the Andes (flying southbound)
Old May 6, 2010, 1:04 pm

Show me the proof! My heart is very healthy, and I'm prepared to sign a waiver
Old May 6, 2010, 3:42 pm

Private cellar eh?

I've got one of them.....It's full of empty bottles though.
Old May 6, 2010, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Yes, because some must be from the Right Side of the Andes (flying southbound)
Nonsense..... none of the spoof-juice from your (wrong) side of the Andes is cellar-worthy... their best reds are barely bag in box material.....
Old May 9, 2010, 3:56 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I really liked Chila which is in Puerto Madero; it has french flavors with definite Argentinian ingredients; the service is superb; In my humble experience with Michelin star restaurants I think it deserves 1 star and on a really good day, even 2 stars. Address: Alicia Moreau de Justo 1160

I also really liked La Bourgogne which is at the Alvear Palace Hotel; very french cuisine, amazing service and prices to match; if you stay away from the expensive french champagne and the expensive side of the wine list you should be OK; you could also go for lunch instead of dinner; I would give it a 1-2 star Michelin rating;

For those of you in the San Francisco bay area, I think these restaurants (La Bourgogne especially) is at par with Gary Danko, Michael Mina at the St. Francis, or Masa's; the prices are much better and the menu maybe even a little more original and less predictable; It is not at the level of the French Laundry.

On another note, I did not see on your list, La Estancia en calle La Valle; I ate there when I was a child and lived in Buenos Aires and went back now 35 years later and it is still a great place; excellent variety on the menu and the service is great. Prices a very reasonable; you must try their mollejas (sweetbreads) - fatty and crispy - feels like foie gras in your mouth.
Old May 9, 2010, 4:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
I recently discovered Tancat, a Catalan tapas bar at Paraguay 645, very central about a block from the Gallerias Pacificas shopping center. Good food, reasonable prices, lively atmosphere. Reservations recommended (phone 4312-5442) as the place is very popular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.