Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Antarctica > Antarctica
Reload this Page >

least expensive way to get to Antarctica?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

least expensive way to get to Antarctica?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
what about the recent news saying that Antartic cruises will be cut atleast alot of restriction on them with regards to size and oil and thus affecting price and inturn trying to reduce the number of visitors all to protect the environment. I am definitely pro environment, but that would mean alot more money moving forward, seems like we have a couple years to do this trip
I'm curious about that also.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:02 pm

I know this was all mentioned a while ago... but it just struck me... that ship was "sunk" by a 10" x 4" hole?

Was there zero damage control attempted?

In the DC trainer I went through ( a section cut from a real warship and set up with water jackets etc to allow flooding through various holes, cracks, punctures etc) we were able to effectively seal off holes nearly that size quickly, and with VERY unsophisticated materials! (Wooden plugs hammered in mainly!) At worst one would have had to set up a splinter box and use shoring to hold it in place... again, not a difficult operation....

Sounds like that is NOT the whole story....
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
what about the recent news saying that Antartic cruises will be cut atleast alot of restriction on them with regards to size and oil and thus affecting price and inturn trying to reduce the number of visitors all to protect the environment. I am definitely pro environment, but that would mean alot more money moving forward, seems like we have a couple years to do this trip
Consultative Meeting Concludes in Baltimore, Maryland
The 32nd Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting Concludes in Baltimore, Maryland

Bureau of Public Affairs, Office of the Spokesman
Washington, DC
April 23, 2009
At the meeting, major objectives set by Secretary Clinton in her April 6 speech were met. The Parties agreed by consensus to binding rules related to tourism, including a prohibition on landings by tourists from ships carrying more than 500 passengers, and a requirement that ships land no more than 100 passengers at a time. These rules will become binding once approved by all 28 Consultative Parties. The Parties also agreed to support efforts at the International Maritime Organization to promote safety of Antarctic shipping, including stronger lifeboat protections for tourist vessels. In addition, they agreed to work toward protection of the entire Antarctic ecosystem.

On April 6, the ministers issued two declarations, one supporting polar science efforts which are key to understanding climate change, and another, affirming key elements of the Antarctic Treaty. The declarations are available at: http://www.state.gov/g/oes/rls/other/2009/121340.htm and http://www.state.gov/g/oes/rls/other/2009/121339.htm.
Since there are very few >500 passenger ships operating in Antarctic waters, and those do not land passengers, I don't believe there will be much impact to current operations.

Last edited by birdstrike; Feb 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trooper
I know this was all mentioned a while ago... but it just struck me... that ship was "sunk" by a 10" x 4" hole?

Was there zero damage control attempted?

<snip>

Sounds like that is NOT the whole story....
The accident report makes riveting reading.

http://www.photobits.com/dl/Explorer...l%20Report.PDF

I think the key point among many was that:

7) The EXPLORER sank because the watertight boundary could not be maintained in the one compartment (Frames 45 to 60) and the adjacent compartments". Very Titanic.

Thankfully there was no loss of life.

Basically the report lays blame on an inexperienced Master for the accident, while praising Master and crew for subsequent actions that probably saved lives.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: aa, delta, amex, ba
i took gap tours to costa rica. it was terrible, terrible! the guide we were given was a waitress 2 weeks prior. the places we stayed at had mold and bed bugs. hence the 2 weeks of medicine i was on. there standard answer was i am not sure and thats not included. i left the tour early and spent 2 months arguing but they refunded the trip.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I was just in Ushuaia 10 days ago, and the lowest prices for last minute spaces on Antarctic ships was US$3,300/person. Depending on which agency you book from, you can also have a jacket, boots, etc. thrown in for the $3,300. For single travelers, you'd be paired with one or two other people in your cabin.

Getting to Ushuaia using miles shouldn't be too impossible, as LAN serves USH from both SCL and Buenos Aires (AEP, not EZE). Aerolineas Argentinas and LADE (the cheapest option) also serve USH from AEP. Flights are about $160 each way from Buenos Aires.

There are various inexpensive hostels in Ushuaia if you're really trying to save money, but book in advance as they fill up fast (even late in the season). I stayed at the new Hotel Península Antártica for US$116/night.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:14 pm

@redbeard911
I understand the appeal of nice hot water. But after always having dived in the tropics for years, I am fascinated with the idea, how it would feel (besides cold) to dive in a arctic suit surrounded by thousands of penguins.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
Been there, done that. Amazing!
Look into One Ocean Expeditions.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by mrtrickdk
Been there, done that. Amazing!
Look into One Ocean Expeditions.
I believe I read One Ocean Expeditions has gone belly up.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by Wanderin
I believe I read One Ocean Expeditions has gone belly up.
Yep, some nasty fraud-like stuff from One Ocean is being discussed on TA, e.g., https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...dventures.html
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Yep, some nasty fraud-like stuff from One Ocean is being discussed on TA, e.g., https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...dventures.html
yes. Sadly they seem to have some major financial issues and sailings have been cancelled this year/season.
The experience we had with crew onboard last year was awesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.