FT Antarctica DO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FT Antarctica DO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:10 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Don't post much, but I'm game for this trip. Little expensive, but, imho, will be worth every penny.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:32 pm

Hmm.. since this is FLYERtalk...
A while back there was an Eclipse that passed over a Russian base on the continent proper. A tour group organized with the Russians a flight out of South Africa to the base. It may be possible for a group to charter such a flight, avoid turbulent times aboard a ship, and enjoy South Africa?
Old Apr 27, 2006, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by kkirksea
Hmm.. since this is FLYERtalk...
A while back there was an Eclipse that passed over a Russian base on the continent proper. A tour group organized with the Russians a flight out of South Africa to the base. It may be possible for a group to charter such a flight, avoid turbulent times aboard a ship, and enjoy South Africa?
Did more research. Cape Tour Charters out of South Africa handled the special charter for Astronomical Tours of the U.S. In case anyone wants to follow up on this option....

ALCI has a website. The have an IL-76 that can fly 80 passengers in 6 hours from Cape Town to the Novolazareskaya. Apparently 3 flights in November, 2 in February. Nothing scheduled for 2007 yet. Couldn't find pricing.

I'll be in Cape Town in July, and see if I can hunt 'em down.

"Whilst researching the 2003 eclipse, CTC made contact with Antarctic Logistic Company International, a newly formed company in South Africa, a joint venture between Meihuizen International Shipping Company, South Africa and INTAARI, of St Petersburg, Russia. The original discussions centered on vessel charter, but once it became clear that ALCI would be granted the license to land an aircraft on the mainland of the Antarctic, CTC changed focus, as the advantages of viewing an eclipse from a stable platform far outweighed a ships deck. Staff of CTC were invited to attend the first ever flight to the Antarctic, in early Dec 2001. This flight landed on a specially constructed runway at the Russian Antarctic base of Novolazareskaya. Shortly after this trip, CTC signed a cooperation agreement with ALCI, the purpose of this agreement being to promote tourism to Dromming Maud Land. Starting with the eclipse of 2003, tourism to this region will be slowly built up. Positive developments include a certain portion of the cost of each trip being used to preserve the unique qualities of the Antarctic. Tourists will be obliged to adhere to the strict code of conduct set up by ALCI and Green Peace."

Last edited by kkirksea; Apr 27, 2006 at 3:02 pm
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Drivers, Start Your Google Engines!
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, Delta
KKirksea: If FT'ers plan on flying from Capetown next February, PLEASE let me know. I'll be following this thread from now on.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
Originally Posted by kkirksea
" Staff of CTC were invited to attend the first ever flight to the Antarctic, in early Dec 2001."
Do they mean commercial flight? Planes have been flying to Antartica for decades.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dudemon
Do they mean commercial flight? Planes have been flying to Antartica for decades.
Yeah... I think they meant for that organization, as a proof of concept of setting up a tourist option of flying to Antarctica.

Or else, it's one of those funky hyperbole translation issues from Afrikaans!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:21 am

Whatever became of the Antarctica DO?

It was a long time ago, true -- but wasn't there talk of a 2007 trip? What became of it all? Not enough interest? I've been to Antarctica, and it's truly an astonishing experience -- literally unlike anywhere else on the planet, for as long as tourism doesn't ruin it. (I think that "100 person in a single spot" limit is too high, in fact.)
That said, I'd love a chance to go back!
j.
Old May 5, 2007, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going with Lindblad in December '08, if anyone wants to join my wife and myself. . .
Old May 8, 2007, 9:03 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by kitson
It was a long time ago, true -- but wasn't there talk of a 2007 trip? What became of it all? Not enough interest? I've been to Antarctica, and it's truly an astonishing experience -- literally unlike anywhere else on the planet, for as long as tourism doesn't ruin it. (I think that "100 person in a single spot" limit is too high, in fact.)
That said, I'd love a chance to go back!
j.
I think, the chance to make it a FT DO is not high. If one is interessted on that place, he would do this on his own.
Old May 11, 2007, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless a mistake fare to the South Pole shows up, then we'll all be there!
Old Jun 8, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: 2Peon, NW PLAT, HH Diamond & *W Fallen-from-Gold-Grace
Originally Posted by szg
I think, the chance to make it a FT DO is not high. If one is interessted on that place, he would do this on his own.
Not true. Ten people are on the "interested" list in Post #1.

We need a Jumbo to USH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.