Wiki Posts
Search

Least expensive way?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
Least expensive way?

My daughter really wants to go to Antarctica. I think so she can say she has been to every continent. Just curious what the least expensive way to get there was - seriously
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:03 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The least expensive way would be to volunteer to work at one of the research stations.

Qantas runs a sightseeing flight a few times a year, I believe there sometimes one from Argentina/Chile. A centre seat in economy is AUD$1200.

To actually step foot on Antarctica, there are several cruises that depart from South America, Australia and NZ. South America would most likely be the cheapest option, although I don't think you'll get any change out of USD$6,000.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:52 pm

There are flights that do land but they are also a fortune.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
Such a cool thing your daughter wants to do though.

You could always try getting on a Raytheon supply charter.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: QF, HH
I have seen cruises for about $2000-$3000, leaving from Buenos Aires of all places. Obviously, probably one of the cheapest inside cabins, but hey for that price it's always in the back of my mind to do one day...

Of course, that'd be booked for either a year or two in advance or else some last minute thing, so you wouldn't wanna have flexible travel plans.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:55 pm

I'm also dreaming to see Antarctica with my own eyes. I will look for ways so I can volunteer and work on their research stations so I can see the place for free. i wonder how long it will take for volunteers before they can go back. Any news about volunteering and working in Antarctica?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by krawin
I'm also dreaming to see Antarctica with my own eyes. I will look for ways so I can volunteer and work on their research stations so I can see the place for free. i wonder how long it will take for volunteers before they can go back. Any news about volunteering and working in Antarctica?
A loooong time!!

Also,I would think those places do not realy have a lot of openings for people withouth specific skils,their not tourist establishments and its kind of costly to fly people inn/out and board them.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: SQ PPS/ *A Gold
Ok this is an old thread but hopefully it'll help others in the future -

The cheapest way to see Antarctica is to take the shoulder season cruises (ie. November, late Feb departure dates). Caveat being that you take your chances with the conditions because it's still relatively cold then and the ice floes could be a huge factor; you may not be able to see a number of destinations on the itinerary due to channels being blocked by ice floes.

You will also miss out on a number of things to see if you go during the shoulder season (eg. penguin chicks, which don't generally hatch until December, and if you go late in the season they'd all be molting, which is not a pretty sight). But you asked for the "cheapest" and the shoulder season is it.

A lot of cruise operators offer last minute deals at huge discounts during the shoulder season. But you can only take advantage of this if you are physically in Ushuaia and hang around to see if there are deals because typically they only announce the biggest discounts for cruises that depart within 48 hours.

As far as I know, volunteering at research stations is not generally open to average tourists. It also depends on your nationality because if your country doesn't have a base there, then going as a volunteer is basically impossible. Not to mention that the working conditions will be harsh as the stations (aside from McMurdo) are generally very sparsely staffed.

The British station I visited only had 2 people for the entire summer period. Imagine the psychological stress you will be placed under for being there for 6 months at a stretch with near non-existent social ties of the meaningful variety. There's a reason why they put you through a battery of tests beforehand to determine your suitability to live/work in Antarctica. That sort of environment is not for everyone.

Besides, it's not THAT expensive to go as a tourist. I just saw deals on major operators for USD 5000+. For a one in a lifetime trip, that is a very decent deal.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I just found that Aerovías DAP, a Chilean airline, runs some Antarctica sightseeing charters from Punta Arenas during the summer (southern hemisphere) with a BAe 146. I think you need to book them through a travel agent, I don't think DAP sells the tickets by themselves.

Website is: http://www.aeroviasdap.cl

Regarding volunteering, never heard of it. At least in the Argentine bases, to get there other than as a tourist you need to be a scientist or a member of the military. People assigned to Antarctica spend either 6 months or a whole year down there, so living conditions can be pretty tough.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Marambio
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I just found that Aerovías DAP, a Chilean airline, runs some Antarctica sightseeing charters from Punta Arenas during the summer (southern hemisphere) with a BAe 146. I think you need to book them through a travel agent, I don't think DAP sells the tickets by themselves.

Website is: http://www.aeroviasdap.cl

Regarding volunteering, never heard of it. At least in the Argentine bases, to get there other than as a tourist you need to be a scientist or a member of the military. People assigned to Antarctica spend either 6 months or a whole year down there, so living conditions can be pretty tough.
There are also a handful of normal civilian jobs. The British Antarctic Survey was advertising positions for someone to run the post office the other day.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:39 pm

Just a crazy thought but I was in Ushuaia a few months ago and although I didn't have nearly enough cash; with the current blue dollar rate you could get a cruise for about 33% off if the operators take cash (not sure if they do or not). Of course carrying several thousands dollars in cash would make anyone nervous
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Spicpics
Just a crazy thought but I was in Ushuaia a few months ago and although I didn't have nearly enough cash; with the current blue dollar rate you could get a cruise for about 33% off if the operators take cash (not sure if they do or not). Of course carrying several thousands dollars in cash would make anyone nervous
Aren't the cruises priced in USD? I've never seen one advertised in Pesos (but I don't know if they are priced that way internally?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.