Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Car at Union Station

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Interesting Car at Union Station

I was boarding the Aclea Express when I looked to my left and spotted a train car that was unlike any AMTRAK train car that I had ever seen.

It looked really old and was called the Marco Polo with NS 30 painted on either side of the car.

I have also seen another car which looks far more AMTRAKish, although it also looks like something the NSA might use with the cameras mounted on the roof.

Anybody have any ideas?

Dan
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
The one with cameras mounted on the roof could be a track geometry car, which is used to ensure the track remains within geometric tolerances for its class and is free of defects.

The one I saw up here in Alaska was a converted Amfleet car with the USDOT logo (the curved tri-star thingy) on the side. Had lots of strange instruments protruding from it.

Had to get shipped up here by barge...
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
The NS 30 car is an office car for Norfolk Southern. It is a heavyweight observation car built in January, 1927 by the Pullman Company. The car was used by Franklin D. Roosevelt when he was governor of New York and later during his presidency. Central of Georgia Railroad bought the car in 1944 and named it Savannah. Norfolk Southern acquired the car, named it back to Marco Polo and from what I gather Googling, usually has it parked in Washington, D.C. for lobbyist use.

http://www.jefflubchanskycpa.com/NSO...1-00DIGI13.jpg

The other car is likely the Beech Grove, car 10001. It operates across the country for inspections of the various railroads Amtrak operates over. I saw it on the Silver Star a few weeks ago going from DC to Miami. Several people were riding the car, mostly in suits. The pictures are still on the camera. I'll post a few once I upload them to the computer.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Lots of Union Stations in the country! I guess DC since you mention the Acela?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by inyourvillages
Lots of Union Stations in the country! I guess DC since you mention the Acela?
Could be New Haven's Union Station, where the Acela stops.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Yep, Washington, D.C. Union Station.

The train with the camera (Beech Grove) sounds exactly like what I saw at the station.

The Marco Polo sounds really nice (lobbyists tend to enjoy the finer things of life)

Dan
Old Apr 8, 2009, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Here's Beech Grove. Is this what you saw?

http://flickr.com/photos/metrolibrar...ve/3011017508/

Here's the one I was thinking of:

http://www.fra.dot.gov/us/content/420
Old Apr 8, 2009, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
Here's Beech Grove. Is this what you saw?

http://flickr.com/photos/metrolibrar...ve/3011017508/

Here's the one I was thinking of:

http://www.fra.dot.gov/us/content/420
Yep, that is the car that I saw at Washington, DC. Union Station. Does anybody know what it looks like on the in-side.

Dan
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Photos are still on the camera.

I've never seen a picture of the inside. There is a seating area at the end for observation out the windows over the tracks. Probably has a galley for food service and tables for dining. It wouldn't surprise me if there were beds in the car as people riding it across country need a place to sleep at night.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: DL Gold/SC, US Silver, HH Gold, PC Gold
I saw the same car at Union station a few weeks back and was wondering what it was. Thanks to OP for asking the question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.