Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BYOB on Amtrak?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
Absolutely, you can bring pretty much anything that's legal as cargo. No one cares what's in your bag as long as it's not a bomb, a vial of sarin, anthrax spores, etc.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:49 am

Does anyone know if the policy on "outside" alcoholic beverages has changed in recent years?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
It has not. Also, welcome to FT!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
It has not. Also, welcome to FT!
Thank you! I'm riding on the Capitol Limited between Chicago and DC this month. It would be nice to have something to drink in the evening without spending a fortune.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:35 pm

The Junction Pub (which is just off the Great Hall in Chicago) sometimes has good happy hour specials, so that's always an option before you board. Otherwise, if train crew catches you BYOB-ing in coach, punishment could range from casual admonition to the threat or actuality of being ejected at the next stop. It's one of the many ways Amtrak is consistently inconsistent, so it's a risky gamble IMHO.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by abefroman329
Friends and I have been able to drink in coach on the Regionals - and to excess - without any complaints from the conductor or other passengers. YMMV.
One of my favorite sights is to walk through NY Penn Station during evening rush hour and see all the plexi-glass coolers in front of the various stores packed with ice and tall boy beer cans.

I've never been warned by Amtrak staff for drinking beer on the NYP-WAS trains that I bought in Penn Station. For that matter, I've never been bothered by them in coach on the Capitol Limited, a line I take at least once per year in coach out to northern Indiana (I typically travel coach westbound and take a sleeper eastbound).

The only time I was ever hassled by Amtrak staff for drinking BYOB beer was in a coach car on the Coast Starlight 20+ years ago.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ND76
One of my favorite sights is to walk through NY Penn Station during evening rush hour and see all the plexi-glass coolers in front of the various stores packed with ice and tall boy beer cans.
There is clearly BYOB on trains out of NYP. I know because I used to do it as well when I used to regularly travel between WAS and NYP. WAS didn't have "to-go" liquor so I would generally bring my own from home on board and then just pour it into an opaque cup. I would also stash my trash in an opaque bag and dispose of it discreetly.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: Amtrak
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Otherwise, if train crew catches you BYOB-ing in coach, punishment could range from casual admonition to the threat or actuality of being ejected at the next stop.
I have actually seen a drunk and disorderly being dropped off in a corn field to the county sheriff, but only after two warnings.

The idea of being ejected for simply BYOB-ing is an urban myth. Sipping wine out of a bike bottle won't even get you noticed. Even if you are drunk and disorderly, if you were to say "Yes sir" and quiet down and dispose of you stuff immediately, that would be the end of it. What conductor would want the hassle of calling the law and delaying the train unless absolutely necessary?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:18 pm

I'm sure the other replies about the official policy are correct, but on the trains between WAS and NYP this is definitely not enforced. When they changed the policy some months ago to offer business class customers complimentary non alcoholic drinks on northeast regional service, the ticket agent mentioned that the new complimentary policy does not extend to liquor, but if you wanted to bring your own to add to your free mixer, that was your business. So...that was the ticket agent perspective on the matter.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike0xff
I'm sure the other replies about the official policy are correct, but on the trains between WAS and NYP this is definitely not enforced. When they changed the policy some months ago to offer business class customers complimentary non alcoholic drinks on northeast regional service, the ticket agent mentioned that the new complimentary policy does not extend to liquor, but if you wanted to bring your own to add to your free mixer, that was your business. So...that was the ticket agent perspective on the matter.
True, but I'm always a little skeptical when the person who sits in the ticket office every day offers insight on the day-to-day aboard the train.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Great thread. I'm going to have to buy a bottle of wine or a few whiskey minis for my upcoming trip on the Blue Water.

Is dining car alcohol outrageously priced?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:03 pm

BYOB is expressly forbidden on the Blue Water, unless you're comfortable flouting the rules. Selection and pricing will be something like this.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Great thread. I'm going to have to buy a bottle of wine or a few whiskey minis for my upcoming trip on the Blue Water.

Is dining car alcohol outrageously priced?
The Blue Water does not carry a full dining car, it has a cafe/lounge car with counter service.

Hard liquor mini's are $7. If you are having a mixed drink, the mixer (soda, tonic, etc) is included.

Beer is $5.50 (Bud), $6.50 (Heineken, Corona), $7.50 (microbrews).

Wine is $6.50 (single serving) or $16.00 (half bottle).

With regard to drinking your own stash, it is against policy and the conductor has the authority to put you off the train for it. While it is rare, I have witnessed that happen although it was only when the individual was obviously and obnoxiously drunk. They can also warn you and confiscate, which I have also seen happen. With that said, it varies by the conductor and chances are if you are discrete and well behaved there will not be a problem.

Here is a link to the national cafe car menu:
https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/522/899...-Menu-0816.pdf
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by zephyr17
The Blue Water does not carry a full dining car, it has a cafe/lounge car with counter service.

Hard liquor mini's are $7. If you are having a mixed drink, the mixer (soda, tonic, etc) is included.

Beer is $5.50 (Bud), $6.50 (Heineken, Corona), $7.50 (microbrews).

Wine is $6.50 (single serving) or $16.00 (half bottle).

With regard to drinking your own stash, it is against policy and the conductor has the authority to put you off the train for it. While it is rare, I have witnessed that happen although it was only when the individual was obviously and obnoxiously drunk. They can also warn you and confiscate, which I have also seen happen. With that said, it varies by the conductor and chances are if you are discrete and well behaved there will not be a problem.

Here is a link to the national cafe car menu:
https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/522/899...-Menu-0816.pdf
Thanks for the info. I'm going to visit family, so I don't want to be all-out drunk when I get there. I might bring a mini of JD's and buy a beer on the train. I'd hate to catch a conductor on their worst day.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:50 pm

The only time I had seen a possible problem was on the Cardinal and it was kind of funny because it was a middle aged woman buying a younger guy booze and flirting with him. The conductor eventually told them to quiet down and they did so no problem came of it.

I usually only bring one of those small bottles of Kahlua to put in my coffee at night and that's it.

I have no tolerance for loud drunks. If someone is stupid enough to get drunk and loud on a train full of people then that person deserves to get thrown off a train and in the middle of no where.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.